BENEVENTO, Italy (July 11, 2019) – The U.S. Men’s Collegiate National Team – World University Games (MCNT – WUG) began the second half of the tournament Thursday, falling to Switzerland 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-15) in the 9-16 Quarterfinals at PalaTedeschi in Benevento, Italy.
“Tough loss for us today,” said Ryan Perrotte, head coach of MCNT – WUG. “I was really disappointed with our competitive persona on the volleyball court. We lacked the energy, and you can tell that these last couple days of playing such high-level volleyball have started to take a toll on the guys. We’ve really grinded out some volleyball matches throughout this tournament, but today was the first day we lacked the energy and competitiveness to really compete.”
RELATED: Box Score | MCNT - WUG Home | World University Games Schedule
Switzerland took early control of the first set with a 14-7 lead. The U.S. clawed its way back into the set, forcing ties at 19-all, 20-all and 21-all. Coming out of the final tie, Switzerland won the next two points. Middle blocker Tyler Mitchem powered down a kill to bring MCNT – WUG back within one. After another Swiss point, outside hitter Brett Wildman found the floor to put the score at 24-23, but the Swiss clinched the set on the next point.
In the second set, MCNT – WUG led after five points, but Switzerland quickly took the lead and won the frame by four. They went wire-to-wire in the third to clinch the match.
Outside hitters Raymond Barsemian and Parker Dixon led the U.S. with eight kills apiece, and middle blocker Kyler Presho tallied three blocks. Five different Americans served up one service ace, and Dixon again led with 22 receptions.
“We’re hoping to bounce back from this loss and finish the tournament with two wins Friday and Saturday. We’ll be back,” Barsemian said.
With the loss, the U.S. falls to 2-3 at the 2019 World University Games. They’ll continue the tournament Friday, July 12, with a 13-16 Semifinal contest against Chile. That match will begin at 5:30 p.m. local/11:30 a.m. Eastern, once again at PalaTedeschi.
2019 MCNT - World University Games Roster
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
- 1 Jaylen Jasper (Opp, 6-7, Annapolis, Md., Stanford)
- 2 Brett Wildman (OH, 6-5, Virginia Beach, Va., Penn State)
- 3 Garrett Zolg (S, 6-3, Huntington Beach, Calif., Loyola Chicago)
- 4 Brandon Rattray (Opp, 6-5, San Diego, Calif., UCLA)
- 5 Parker Dixon (OH, 6-6, Dallas, Texas, Princeton)
- 6 Michael Simmons (L, 6-4, Aurora, Ill. Lewis)
- 7 Ethan Siegfried (OH, 6-1, Honolulu, Hawaii, Long Beach State)
- 8 Raymond Barsemian (OH, 6-6, La Crescenta, Calif., Concordia University Irvine)
- 9 Chandler Gibb (S, 6-2, Huntington Beach, Calif., Concordia University Irvine)
- 10 Tyler Mitchem (MB, 6-11, Bolingbrook, Ill., Lewis)
- 11 Kyler Presho (MB, 6-8, San Clemente, Calif., Stanford)
- 12 Blake Leeson (MB, 6-7, Mequon, Wis., Ohio State)