The World Taekwondo (WT) has mandated that participants, Athletes, Coaches, and Officials, acquire a World Taekwondo Global License with WT Event Pass to register and compete in WT sanctioned events.

A WT Event Pass can easily be purchased at the time of renewal or registration of your WT License.  If you already hold a multi-year (valid until end of 2018, 2019, 2020) WT license an Event Pass has already been automatically applied to your profile.

USAT Members can now pay online for their WT Global License renewal or new license registration

The same applies for Event Registration Fees for the upcoming 2018 US Open which also need to be paid online.  Be sure to check your registration carefully before paying to ensure all details are correct.

For short videos on how to complete important tasks in the GMS see below.

  1. Renew your existing WT Global license - click HERE
  2. Register for the first time for a WT Global License – click HERE
  3. Order a WT Event Pass on its own if needed – click HERE
  4. View WT License Status and document upload – click HERE
  5. Register as an individual for events e.g. 2018 US Open – click HERE
  6. Create team(s) for events if you are an assigned club/region administrator – click HERE
  7. As an assigned administrator in the GMS how to register a team for an event – click HERE

USA Taekwondo members wanting to apply for a Global Coach License or Officials License must also have completed and cleared a USA Taekwondo background check and mandated Safe Sport Training video. Your license will not be processed until this has been completed.

Starting in 2018, World Taekwondo has changed the Global License Options. Those individuals wishing to participate in World Taekwondo Sanctioned events must have a World Taekwondo Global License and the WT Event Pass. When renewing your WT Global License for 2018 you will need to also need to upgrade to the World Taekwondo Event Pass to be able to register for World Taekwondo Sanctioned Event. A WT Event Pass can easily be registered for at the time of new license registration or renewal. Please see the information below for pricing options:

WT License Type

License Fee

WT Event Pass – includes license fee (needed for WT Sanctioned Events)

Card Print Fee


Minors (11 and Under)





Cadet, Junior and Seniors





Coach, Referee, Official or Doctor




WT Global License





WT Global License

Media or Fan

















If you are renewing your Global License, you will still need to login and update your password and electronically agree to the World Taekwondo waivers.  You can find the waivers by going to Edit Profile and the Waivers tab will be located on the bottom, left of the site. 

To complete the process on the World Taekwondo Global Membership System, please go to    


WT License Information

WT Global License – World Taekwondo Membership ONLY

This will give you membership to World Taekwondo with no membership card.  You can request to order a membership card from your WT profile.  This does NOT allow you to register and compete in WT sanctioned events.  Cost is $5.   


WT Global License – World Taekwondo Member ONLY with Global License Card

This will give you membership to World Taekwondo and will give you a WT membership card.  This does NOT allow you to register and compete in WT sanctioned events.  Cost is $10.   


WT Global License – World Taekwondo Event Pass

This will give you membership to World Taekwondo with no membership card.  You can print a membership card from your WT profile.  This WILL allow you to register and participate in WT sanctioned events.  Cost is $50. 


WT Global License – World Taekwondo Event Pass with Global License Card      

This will give you membership to World Taekwondo and will give you WT membership card.   This WILL allow you to register and participate in WT sanctioned events.  Cost is $55. 


WT Global License – World Taekwondo Event Pass UPGRADE with Global License Card

If you have already purchased a World Taekwondo license that expires after 2017 (excludes multi-year licenses) you must now purchase an Event Pass.  This will give you a membership card.  This WILL allow you to register and participate in WT sanctioned events.  Cost is $45. 


 Who needs a WT Event Pass?

All Kyorugi and Poomsae Athletes of all ages that wish to compete in WT sanctioned events

All Team Officials: Coaches, Managers, and Medical

Athletes and Officials participating in WT sanctioned Championships, WT Ranking Point Tournaments, including the US Open, and Continental Union recognized tournaments are required to obtain a WT Global License. 


Do referees need a Global License?



When should I apply/renew?

As soon as possible.  Apply/renew a minimum of 2 months prior to the start of the competition you are planning to attend.


What documentation do I need to provide for my Global License?

Global License/Event Pass applicants will not be able to participate or register for any WT Sanctioned events until all the appropriate documentation listed below is submitted and approved by both USAT and the WT:

  1. A color passport style ID picture.
  2. Valid copy of a current U.S. Passport. If a member is not in possession of a Passport, the member can upload a Birth Certificate, Driver’s License or Green Card under National ID. 
  3. Proof of black belt- The WT will accept either a USAT or Club certificate or Kukkiwon certificate. (Please note that Kukkiwon Certificates are NOT required as proof of black belt certification).  Kukkiwon certification is only required at WT promoted championships, such as the World Championships, Pan Am Championships, Grand Prix(s), etc.
    ***Kukkiwon or Black Belt Certificate is not required for Global Officials***
  4. Member must have current USAT membership.  (Global Officials are required to complete the Background check and the SafeSport video training through USAT)
  5. A member must input the correct mailing address into the WT membership profile.  If a mailing address is not entered at the time the card is ordered, the global license card will not be mailed to the member.

***All coaches must have a valid background check and complete the SafeSport training in order to obtain a valid global license.*** Click HERE to begin your SafeSport training now.


Where can I apply for a GAL/GOL?

To complete your application simply CLICK HERE and complete the online registration process.  Please note, you must choose U.S.A. - USA Taekwondo, Inc. in the drop-down and click the "Sign Up" button to register.


I'm having trouble uploading pictures, what do I do?

Headshot photo:

  • The photograph must be a passport-style headshot of the member, suitable for use on the WT GMS card. The photograph must be in color.
  • The photo should be neatly cropped, no exceeding borders.
  • The image MUST be at least 236 x 295 pixels in size. (check photo properties by right clicking on photo).  Please follow this step by step instruction, it will allow you to upload a photo in the correct format:
  1. Open the photo you want to use in the application "Paint" on your computer
  2. In the application "Paint" press the "resize" button (located under the "crop" button")
  3. Click "Pixels"
  4. Unclick "maintain aspect ratio"
  5. Under Pixels, enter horizontal: 236 and vertical: 295
  6. The image must be vertical
  7. The image file must be saved in an individual JPG format and uploaded 

Kukkiwon certificate/card or Black Belt Certificate:  

  • A Kukkiwon certificate or card can be uploaded under "Kukkiwon Certification"
  • A Black Belt certificate can be uploaded under "Kukkiwon Certification"


  • Passport must be current at the time of the WT sanctioned event
  • The name on the passport must match the name on the Global License Account
  • Expiration date must be entered in the format DD/MM/YYYY

National ID

  • The WT will accept a copy of a Birth Certificate, Driver's License or Green Card if the member does not have a passport
  • National ID Number and member nation is required.  If the document does not have a specific ID number, please use any type of identification number listed on the document. 
  • Start and expiration dates are not required for National ID's


Why is my status listed as unapproved?

At any time on your members dashboard on GMS you can see the latest status of your WT Global License and what if any requirements are yet to be meet.

First, please verify that all required documentation has been approved.  If all documentation has been approved, you are seeing this status because your card has yet to be shipped. If your card status reads "Approved to Print", then you do not need to provide any further documentation and will receive your card in 6-12 weeks.  If you are attending a WT sanctioned event before you will receive your card, please follow the instructions listed below.  


When should I expect to receive my card?

If you chose to have a WT membership card it will take approximately 6 – 12 weeks (depending on the time of year) to receive your GAL/GOL card.  If you are planning to attend a WT sanctioned event and will not receive your Global License card on time, follow the instructions below to print out confirmation of GAL/GOL.

  1. After final approval, an email will be sent to the address supplied on the application.  Use the log-in information to sign in to the WT Simply Compete system.
  2. Once you are logged on, click on “Membership Profile
  3. Click “Membership
  4. Print this Global License confirmation for your records

The document that prints will provide proof of Global License to any international organizing committee.


Have questions or concerns?