Coach Education & Learning Program
Qualified coaches are critical to the long-term growth and success of the sport of field hockey. The education and development of coaches plays a pivotal role in ensuring sustainable athlete success from grassroots to high performance. The long-term aim is to develop more technically proficient players and teams across all levels while fostering a positive environment.
USA Field Hockey's Coaching Education and Learning Program (CEP) has developed a blended learning approach which includes both in-person and online development opportunities aimed at supporting new coaches as well as inspire and assist veteran coaches, including those who coach professionally. CEP's goal is to provide a coach education system that supports, sustains and grows the sport by producing exceptional leaders, instructors and coaches.
USA Field Hockey's Coach Education Pathway is aligned with the philosophy of the American Development Model (ADM) and promotes the best teaching and learning principles for age and stage appropriate development. This includes how, what and when to teach, train and play to maximize fun, enjoyment and performance of field hockey.
USA Field Hockey's Coach Education and Learning Program provides coaches at all stages of their development with the opportunities and resources to further your coaching practice. The program consists of online and in-person courses that make up the Coaching Certification Program and an expanding collection of workshops.
To create more consistency in the teaching and delivery of field hockey through USA Field Hockey's Coach Education Pathway, all will be exposed to "The USA Way", throughout every level from the Foundations Course to high performance. “The USA Way” is the framework that guides how USA Field Hockey thinks about the game of field hockey and in doing so it provides a vision and common language to use across the country. It is designed to provide guidance while also providing a space for individuals to become the best player that they can possibly be. Variety is the spice of life and "The USA Way" will challenge players to bring their own unique strengths to the game of field hockey.
Coaching Clinics, Workshops & Events
|Virtual||Level 1 Program - Part 1||Online Course||Click Here|
|December 8, 9, 10 & 12||'Virtual' National Coaches Forum||Online Event||Coming Soon|
NEW! Level 1 Coaching Certification
A new Level 1 Coaching Certification process has been developed for coaches to earn a Level 1 Certification!
The Level 1 Program now consists of two parts, the online course and an in-person, four-hour Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic (separate registration process).
Level 1 Requirements: The Level 1 Online Course and Instructional Coaching Clinic Program is specifically designed for individuals that already possess a basic knowledge and understanding of the game of field hockey.
- All must first complete Part 1: Level 1 Online Course, then complete Part 2: Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic in order to receive a full Level 1 Certification.
- In order for a Level 1 Certification to remain active and to take advantage of special USA Field Hockey Member pricing, all registrants must be registered as a current and active Coach Member of USA Field Hockey.
- To get the most out of the Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic, USA Field Hockey requires that all registrants bring completed tasks from the Level 1 Online Course to the in-person Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic for self-reflection and review.
- Once registered, an automated email will be received with the link to access the Level 1 Online Course.
*Payment will be separate for Part 1 and 2 of the Level 1 Certification. USA Field Hockey will evaluate this process once things get back to normal.
The Level 1 Online Course and Instructional Coaching Clinic Program is specifically designed for individuals that already possess a basic knowledge and understanding of the game of field hockey. Individuals who are brand new to the sport are welcome to attend but may find it difficult as the course covers a broad range of topics in a short period of time. USA Field Hockey’s Coach Education and Learning Program recommends if an individual is just starting his/her coaching journey to take the Discover Field Hockey Foundations Course, which is currently being developed.
The game of field hockey has changed significantly over the past decade. Continual innovations have sped up the game, inspiring new tactics, techniques and rules to accommodate the faster play. Whether you coach on grass, field turf, water or sand-based turf, teaching the skills properly in a fun engaging way will enable you and your team to develop and succeed. Sign up, today!
Level 1 Online Course Outcomes:
Through taking the Level 1 Online Course, you will:
1. Gain an understanding of why you coach
2. Develop an appreciation of effective practice design principles
3. Become comfortable in delivering basic skill development practices for field players and goalkeepers
4. Gain a basic understanding of “The USA Way” Player, Goalkeeper and Principles of Play
- USA Field Hockey Member: $50.00
- Non-USA Field Hockey Member: $85.00
Upon completion of the Level 1 Online Course, all participants will receive a certificate showing that they’ve completed the course. For the health and safety of all involved, USA Field Hockey’s Coach Education and Learning Program will likely resume the scheduling of in-person clinics in the spring of 2021 or sooner.
Level 2 Coaching Certification
USA Field Hockey’s Level 2 Instructional Coaching Clinic is a 14-hour offering that expands on several of the topics covered in the Level 1 Clinic and will challenge participants to further define and evaluate their individual coaching philosophies, styles, techniques while encouraging self-assessment. This course is also recommended for field hockey coaches of all levels. Coaches will work in groups to share best practices and receive peer feedback in a comfortable and encouraging environment. Level 2 Clinics offer an additional opportunity for professional development and local networking and mentorship. Upon completion of the course, all participants will receive their USA Field Hockey Level 2 Coaching Certification.
This Certification will remain valid as long as your USA Field Hockey Coaching Membership remains current and will lapse without a USA Field Hockey Membership. Coaches interested in being Regional Futures Coaches and AAU Junior Olympic Games coaches, attending the National Coaches Forum or becoming a USA Field Hockey Coach Educator, must have a current Level 2 Coaching Certification to be eligible.
If the coach's membership and/or background check expires, their certification becomes invalid. Once a member renews either of those two items, the certification is reinstated. Currently there are not any "re-certification" requirements for this level, other than making sure the renew your membership and keep the background check current. USA Field Hockey's Coach Education Program is working on developing a re-certification process for this Level.
Classroom Presentations and Discussions:
- Developing Your Coaching Philosophy
- Teaching Games for Understanding & Guided Discovery/Learning Principles
- 11 v 11 Concepts/Formations
- Effective Session Planning
- Collaborating with Other to Provide Solutions to Strategic Challenges
- Participate in On-Field Group Presentations Covering Important Coaching Topics
- Participate in Group Presentations Covering Important Coaching Topics
- Apply “Teaching Games for Understanding” Principles that include Exercise Progressions
- Skill Acquisition - Error Detection and Correction
- Design Fun and Effective Training Sessions - Small Games
- USA Field Hockey Member: $250.00 (*Note: lunch is provided on Day 1)
- Non-USA Field Hockey Member: $325.00 (includes two-day membership)
Coach Education & Learning Offerings
2020 National Goalkeeping & National Coaches Forum more
The National Coaches Forum is currently planned for the following dates, December 8, 9 and 10, and possibly one more day as the full list of speakers that will cover a variety of topics, such as leading high performance teams, developing a winning culture, tactical concepts of the game, strength and conditioning, goalkeeping, talent identification and assessment, and much more. The National Coaches Forum will also feature newly appointed U.S. National Team head coaches and staff. USA Field Hockey will offer special pricing to current USA Field Hockey Members interested in this professional development opportunity.
In addition to the National Coaches Forum, a National Goalkeeping Coaches Forum will take place in virtual format with more information to follow.