Savannah Cosme (Denver, Colo./Chatfield HS) has been selected as USA Wrestling Athlete of the Week on Oct. 27, 2020.
Cosme won the 130-pound weight class at the prestigious Super 32 tournament over the weekend in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Entering the tournament ranked No. 10 in the nation at 127 pounds, Cosme won five matches on the way to the title. Four of her five wins came against other ranked wrestlers, including three wrestlers with higher national rankings.
Below are her results:
- Round 1 - WIN Kearanie Johnson, pin 1:38 (ranked #20 at 112 lbs.)
- Round 2 - WIN Alexis Ross, 10-0 technical fall in 2:33
- Quarterfinal - WIN Lily Sherer, 6-6 (ranked #9 at 138 lbs.)
- Semifinal - WIN Alexis Janiak, 6-2 (ranked #4 at 122 lbs.)
- Final - WIN Devin Patton, 4-3 (ranked #3 at 127 lbs.)
Cosme, a junior this season for Chatfield High School, was second in the 2020 Colorado state championships, and finished third in the 2019 U15 Nationals, among other achievements.
Each week USA Wrestling will select an Athlete of the Week based upon performance within wrestling for that week. The selection committee will consider any level of wrestling from youth programs through the senior level. Twitter fan votes also play a part in decision.
To nominate a wrestler for this honor please send the athlete's name, wrestling program, weekly accomplishments and career accolades to USA Wrestling Manager of Communications Taylor Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.