COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (July 24, 2020) -- With athlete safety of paramount importance, USA Weightlifting announced today it will transition the Nike American Open Series 3 powered by Rogue Fitness, scheduled for September 17-20, 2020 from an in-person event in Las Vegas, Nevada, to a live, remote event to be held the same weekend.
The transition will allow athletes to train and compete at home or a nearby gym in a safe manner, without the need to travel to an in-person competition. Modeled after this summer’s ROGUE Invitational, Pan Am Cup, and USA Weightlifting’s Online Selection Camp, this new way of competition promises to give members something to look forward to.
“This is an innovative solution for an unprecedented time in our history,” USA Weightlifting CEO Phil Andrews said. “We want to give our members something to circle on their calendar. By holding this event remotely, we can assure our members that a weightlifting competition will happen that weekend.”
Upon the close of entries on September 3, USA Weightlifting will develop a competition schedule and complete procedures for the competition. At an athlete’s assigned time, they will login to a Zoom meeting and lift in competition with other athletes in their weight categories. Registration is open via BARS HERE.
Participants will be required to have the following equipment:
- One 15kg Weightlifting bar and or one 20kg Weightlifting bar. Competing athletes will lift using a barbell in accordance to their gender, age group and with the IWF Technical and Competition Rules and Regulations (TCRR).
- At least two pairs of 25kg colored plates.
- One pair of the following colored plates: 20kg, 15kg, 10kg, 5kg, 2.5kg, 2.0kg, 1.5kg, 1.0kg, 0.5kg
- One pair of training or competition collars weighing 2.5kg each. Spring collars will not be accepted.
- A 4 x 4m competition platform or a flat 4 x 4m space marked with tape. A rubber platform with the 4 x 4m area marked around is also acceptable. The background for the lifting space must be completely unbranded.
- At least one calibrated scale, preferably in kilos. A tolerance of 0.5kg will be applied for every bodyweight category (e.g. an athlete registered for the 49kg bodyweight category can compete with a bodyweight of 49.50kg or less).
- Reliable onsite WiFi that will be used to participate in the remote live competition.
- Adequate space to abide by local COVID-19 guidelines from your local authorities.
A technical official will verify each athlete’s equipment and competition area during weigh in. During the competition, the barbell must be loaded according to the rules and regulations at all times.
Athletes will be able to compete from their home gym, or if a home gym is not available, at a gym of their choosing. This gym must not contain more than 2 athletes per session competing at the same time with a maximum building occupancy of ten. Should a local law or ordinance order fewer than ten people congregate, the site must follow those orders, along with any other health orders in effect.
The cost to enter is $75 for Open and Masters athletes. Youth athlete registration is $50. Medals will be awarded in each bodyweight category for snatch, clean & jerk and total. Masters and Youth medals will also be awarded in their respective age and bodyweight categories. Medals will be shipped in October.
With the transition to a virtual event, members who have already registered for the in-person American Open Series 2 and/or 3 will have their registration fees refunded. Those athletes wishing to participate in the virtual event must re-register in BARS.