The overhead squat is a total body exercise that can be beneficial for strength, power and fitness athletes. Movements like snatches, jerks, high bar back squats, overhead carries, and other functional exercise are all impacted by an athletes ability to (1) stabilize a load overhead, (2) properly control the core under load, and (3) display strength, mobility, and balance.
Therefore, we thought it would be helpful to discuss the overhead squat in greater detail and offer coaches and athletes a more definitive guide that discussed:
- Overhead Squat Form and Technique
- Benefits of the Overhead Squat
- Muscles Worked by Overhead Squat
- Overhead Squat Sets, Reps, and Programming Recommendations
- Overhead Squat Variations and Alternatives
- and more…
Is the overhead squat right for you? Read more at BarBend.com, the Official Media Partner of USA Weightlifting!