COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Sept. 6, 2018) – The U.S. Men’s National Team began its official warmup for the FIVB World Championship with a 25-18, 25-15, 25-20 win over Iran at the Ljubljana Volleyball Challenge on Thursday in Slovenia.
The U.S. Men will play Canada on Friday at 8 a.m. PT. No live stream is available, but you can keep up with set scores on the @USAVolleyball Twitter account.
“It was good to play against somebody else that is not Team USA,” U.S. opposite Matt Anderson told the Slovenian Federation. “The things on the court are a little bit more uncontrollable. You need to deal with the uncertainty and it's good that we played as good as we did.”
The U.S. Men led Iran in kills (53-32), blocks (7-5) and aces (9-2). Micah Christenson set the U.S. to a .540 hitting efficiency while Iran hit .283 behind setter Mohammad Taher Vadi.
Outside hitter Aaron Russell led all scorers with 12 points on a match-high three blocks, seven kills and two aces. Anderson added 10 points on a match-high three aces, six kills and one block.
Opposite Ben Patch, who started the third set for Anderson, finished with eight points all on kills.
U.S. STARTERS VS IRAN
Outside hitter: Aaron Russell and Taylor Sander
Middle blockers: Max Holt and Taylor Averill
Opposite: Matt Anderson
Setter: Micah Christenson
Libero: Erik Shoji
Substitutes: Ben Patch (Opp), Jake Langlois (OH), Jeff Jendryk (MB), Dan McDonnell (MB)
U.S. STATISTICS VS IRAN
Kills: Patch 8, Russell 7, Anderson 6, Sander 6, Averill 3, Jendryk 2, Holt 2, Langlois 2, Christenson 1
Blocks: Russell 3, Averill 2, Anderson 1, Holt 1
Aces: Anderson 3, Russell 2, Christenson 2, Averill 1, Sander 1
Digs: Shoji 8, Christenson 8, Russell 4, Holt 3, Langlois 3, Sander 2, Patch 2, Anderson 2, Averill 1
2018 Ljubljana Volleyball Challenge
U.S. Men’s Roster
1. Matt Anderson (Opp, 6-9, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
2. Aaron Russell (OH, 6-9, Ellicott City, Md., Penn State)
3C. Taylor Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
4. Jeff Jendryk (MB, 6-10, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
7. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
10. Dan McDonnell (MB, 6-6, Phoenix, Ariz., UC Irvine)
11. Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, Southern California)
12. Max Holt (MB, 6-10, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
13. Ben Patch (Opp, 6-8, Provo, Utah, BYU)
15. Brenden Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
18. Jake Langlois (OH, 6-10, San Jose, Calif., BYU)
19. Taylor Averill (MB, 6-7, San Jose, Calif., Hawaii)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
Head Coach: John Speraw
Assistant Coaches: Rob Neilson and Brian Thornton
Team Manager: Nate Ngo
Technical Coordinator: Nate Ngo
Athletic Trainer: Aaron Brock
Team Psychologist: Andrea Becker
Team Doctors: Andrew Gregory and David Dyck
Scout Coach: Jon Parry
Consultant Coach: Mike Wall
Strength Coach: Tim Pelot
U.S. Men's Schedule
All times Pacific
Sept. 6: USA def Iran, 25-18, 25-15, 25-20
Sept. 7: USA vs. Canada, 8 a.m.
Sept. 8: USA vs. Slovenia, 9 a.m.
U.S. Men’s World Championship Pool Play Schedule
All matches will be shown on Flovolleyball.tv
(All times PT)
Sept. 12 at 11:30 a.m.: Serbia
Sept. 13 at 8 a.m.: Australia
Sept. 15 at 11:30 a.m.: Russia
Sept. 16 at 8 a.m.: Cameroon
Sept. 18 at 8 a.m.: Tunisia