COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Aug. 19, 2015) – The U.S. Men’s National Team preliminary roster for the FIVB World Cup is highlighted by three-time USA Volleyball Player of the Year Matt Anderson, 2015 FIVB World League Best Middle Blocker Max Holt and 2014 World League MVP Taylor Sander.
The FIVB World Cup occurs every four years in the year prior to the Olympic Games. This year, the top two placing teams will qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. The competition will take place Sept. 8-23 in various cities in Japan.
“Qualifying for the Olympic Games is our top priority,” U.S. Head Coach John Speraw said. “We have been working this season to reach our peak at World Cup.”
A roster of 14 players, including two liberos, will be picked from the preliminary roster.
Fans can see the players on the preliminary roster in action at the USAV Cup matches on Aug. 23-29. The U.S. Men will play four matches against world No. 1 Brazil at universities around Southern California. CLICK HERE for a schedule and tickets.
Five Olympians are on the preliminary roster for World Cup, including 2008 gold medalist, 2012 Olympian and middle blocker David Lee. Also on the roster are 2012 Olympians Anderson (opposite), Paul Lotman (outside hitter), Russell Holmes (middle blocker) and David Smith (middle blocker).
The roster also includes all 14 players who were on the World League team that placed third at the 2015 Final Round in Rio de Janeiro: Anderson, Aaron Russell (outside hitter), Sander (outside hitter), Lee, Lotman, Kawika Shoji (setter), Murphy Troy (opposite), Thomas Jaeschke (outside hitter), Micah Christenson (setter), Holmes, Holt, Smith, Dustin Watten (libero) and Erik Shoji (libero).
The other players on the preliminary roster are Ryan Ammerman (setter), Taylor Averill (middle blocker), Kris Johnson (middle blocker), Carson Clark (opposite), Jayson Jablonsky (outside hitter) and Garrett Muagututia (outside hitter).
The U.S. Men will begin World Cup play against Australia at 11:10 a.m. PT on Sept. 8.
U.S. Preliminary Roster for the 2015 FIVB World Cup
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
1. Matt Anderson (OH, 6-9, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
2. Aaron Russell (OH, 6-9, Ellicott City, Md., Penn State)
3. Taylor Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
4. David Lee (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Calif., Long Beach State)
5. Ryan Ammerman (S, 6-9, Denver, Colo., UC Irvine)
6. Paul Lotman (OH, 6-7, Lakewood, Calif., Long Beach State)
7. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
8. Taylor Averill (MB, 6-7, San Jose, Calif., University of Hawaii)
9. Murphy Troy (Opp, 6-8, St. Louis, Mo., Southern California)
10. Thomas Jaeschke (OH, 6-6, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola)
11. Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, Southern California)
12. Russell Holmes (MB, 6-8, Fountain Valley, Calif., BYU)
13. Kris Johnson (MB, 6-11, Long Beach, Calif., California Baptist University)
15. Carson Clark (Opp, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Irvine)
16. Jayson Jablonsky (OH, 6-5, Yorba Linda, Calif., UC Irvine)
17. Max Holt (MB, 6-9, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
18. Garrett Muagututia (OH, 6-5, Oceanside, Calif., UCLA)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
U.S. Schedule for the 2015 FIVB World Cup (All times PT)
Round 1 in Hiroshima
Sept. 7 at 11:10 p.m. USA v Australia
Sept. 9 at 3:20 a.m. USA v Japan
Sept. 9 at 11:10 p.m. Canada v USA
Sept. 11 at 8:10 p.m. USA v Italy
Sept. 12 at 8:10 p.m. Egypt v USA
Round 2 in Osaka
Sept. 15 at 8:10 p.m. USA v Venezuela
Sept. 16 at 8:10 p.m. USA v Iran
Sept. 17 at 8:10 p.m. USA v Tunisia
Round 3 in Tokyo
Sept. 21 at 1:10 a.m. USA v Poland
Sept. 22 at 1:10 a.m. USA v Russia
Sept. 23 at 2:40 a.m. USA v Argentina