COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Triathlon is now requesting nominations for its 2020 USA Triathlon Coaches of the Year, and also invites the multisport community to nominate triathlon coaches to be considered for the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s 2020 Coaches of the Year.
Nominations are open to the public, and all nominees must be current USA Triathlon Certified Coaches. Individuals may nominate coaches for both the USA Triathlon and USOPC awards in multiple categories using the online form at this link. Nominations are due Tuesday, Dec. 1 for USOPC awards, and Thursday, Dec. 31 for USA Triathlon awards. (The option to nominate for USOPC awards will be removed from the online form after Dec. 1).
USA Triathlon Coach of the Year winners will be determined by a selection panel of coaching and sport education professionals, including the USA Triathlon National Coaching Committee and USA Triathlon education and high performance staff. The selection panel will also review nominations for all USOPC awards and submit one coach in each category to the USOPC for consideration.
In addition to the below categories, USA Triathlon is also presenting its inaugural Community Impact Award. This award honors a coach who has demonstrated significant impact in his or her community and who lives out the USA Triathlon mission of growing and inspiring the multisport community.
The following award categories will be awarded by both USA Triathlon and the USOPC:
- Olympic Coach of the Year: Must be a coach of a national-level team, or the coach of an elite athlete who competes at the highest level of the sport
- Paralympic Coach of the Year: Must be a coach of a national-level team, or the coach of an elite athlete who competes at the highest level of the sport
- Developmental Coach of the Year: Must be coaching at the youth club, high school or junior level, or a coach who is directly responsible for training athletes to reach the junior and/or elite level
- Volunteer Coach of the Year: Must be a coach who does not receive payment in any form for his or her involvement in coaching at any level
- College Coach of the Year: Must be a coach at the NCAA (or NCAA Emerging Sport) level
- Service Provider of the Year: Must be a service provider such as a strength and conditioning coach, physical therapist, sport psychologist, dietician or other affiliated with a U.S. National Governing Body (e.g., USA Triathlon) or High Performance Management Organization (HPMO) who has made an impact for an NGB
- Coach Educator of the Year: Must be a Coach Educator or ADM (American Development Model) Sport Educator who has made an impact in the Coaching Education space
The USOPC will also present its annual Doc Counsilman Science Award, which recognizes a coach who utilizes specific techniques and equipment as an integral part of his or her coaching methods or who has created innovative ways to use sport science.
For all Coach of the Year award categories, special consideration will be given to coaches who demonstrated creativity and innovation in continued support of athletes through the COVID-19 pandemic — including adaptations to coaching, digital transformations, social innovation, entrepreneurship or significant projects implemented.
To nominate a multisport coach for USA Triathlon and/or USOPC Coach of the Year honors in any category, please click here. Winners of both the USA Triathlon Coach of the Year and USOPC Coach of the Year awards will be announced in late January 2021.
To view past USA Triathlon Coaches of the Year, click here. In 2019, Wesley Johnson was named Paralympic Coach of the Year by both USA Triathlon and the USOPC, and in 2013 Kathleen Johnson was named Developmental Coach of the Year by both organizations.
While USA Triathlon is recognizing 2020 Officials and Coaches of the Year, it will not award 2020 Athletes of the Year due to limited racing opportunities during COVID-19.
About USA Triathlon
USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon, as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon, off-road triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 events and connects with more than 400,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world. In addition to its work at the grassroots level with athletes, coaches, and race directors — as well as the USA Triathlon Foundation — USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including World Triathlon Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games. USA Triathlon is a proud member of World Triathlon and the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC).