Although I was only able to eat white, empty carbs early on in my pregnancy and my toenails almost fell off (because my feet grew an entire size), there are many reasons why I love being pregnant. Here are the top 10:
- It’s awesome to feel the baby move. It brings me so much joy.
- It’s incredible how my body adapts to create and grow another being. Some of these changes make it harder to train, which is why it’s important to listen to my body. I’ve put on 20 to 25 pounds, but I feel like my body is perfect right now and doing exactly what it needs to do.
- I like to think that the baby recognizes my husband Pat’s voice and my own. Pat makes a point to talk to the baby every day, and I can feel the baby move to follow his voice. Having this bond pre-pregnancy is so special.
- I’ve adapted to changes in my body. When my feet grew a size, I bought new shoes. There was a time my stomach grew quickly in a short amount of time and I wasn’t able to bend over to put my shoes on; but my body and mind worked together and learned how to adapt.
- Seeing the ultrasound was amazing, especially the very first one. In the second trimester, we saw the four chambers of the heart pumping blood. It was so cool!
- It’s been exciting to guess the gender every week. I always ask Pat if he thinks it’s a boy or a girl, and he asks me too. There aren’t many surprises left in the world, so it’s fun to play the guessing game.
- My body knows exactly what I need and signals that through cravings and aversions. I’m craving a lot of salt, so I’m assuming I have a deficit.
- I’ve loved decorating the baby’s nursery, which is a gray room with white furniture. We haven’t even finished decorating our own room in our new house in Portland, but everything is ready to go for the baby.
- I love having the baby with me on runs and through everything I do. We’re creating a special bond, and I love the baby so much already.
- I’ve enjoyed putting my body and baby first. The transition from being a selfish athlete to a selfless parent is already starting and it makes me smile every time I notice it.
Tell me why you love being pregnant in the comments.
Gwen Jorgensen earned the U.S. its first gold medal for triathlon at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Gwen and her husband, Pat Lemieux, are expecting their first child in August 2017.