COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Up-and-coming U.S. triathletes Erin Jones and Taylor Spivey earned the top two spots on the podium on Sunday at the 2015 Punta Guilarte CAMTRI Triathlon American Cup.
It was the first career ITU win for Jones (Hood River, Ore.), who finished the 1,500-meter swim, 40-kilometer bike, 10-kilometer run course in 2:09:56. Spivey also earned her first career ITU podium finish, clocking in at 2:12:54. Puerto Rico's Melissa Rios was third in 2:14:36.
Jones, Spivey and Rios comprised the lead group out of the water, and along with Julie Stupp (Austin, Texas) worked to separate themselves from the rest of the field. Once the leaders hit the second transition, Jones sprinted ahead for the fastest run split of the day, nearly two minutes faster than any other competitor.
In the men's race, Sean Jefferson (Palisades, Calif.) led the way for the Americans, finishing fifth in 1:57:07.
2015 Punta Guilarte CAMTRI Triathlon American Cup
1,500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run
Elite Women — Complete Results
1. Erin Jones (Hood River, Ore.), 2:09:56
2. Taylor Spivey (Redondo Beach, Calif.), 2:12:54
3. Melissa Rios (PUR), 2:14:36
6. Nicole Truxes (Tempe, Ariz.), 2:16:08
9. Julie Stupp (Austin, Texas), 2:17:53
Elite Men — Complete Results
1. Leonardo Chacon (CRC), 1:54:24
2. Michel Gonzalez (CUB), 1:54:32
3. Carlos Javier Quinchara Forero (COL), 1:55:34
5. Sean Jefferson (Palisades, Calif.), 1:57:07
6. Ian Boggs (Zionsville, Ind.), 1:57:54
11. Alex Libin (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 2:03:12
12. Dylan Morgan (Fairfax Station, Va.), 2:04:46
13. Dan Feeney (Wilmington, Del.), 2:07:24
About USA Triathlon
USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon, as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon, off-road triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 races and connects with nearly 500,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world. In addition to its work with athletes, coaches, and race directors on the grassroots level, USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games. USA Triathlon is a proud member of the ITU and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).