Our latest installment of profiles with our 2017 Senior National Team members features male middleweight Christian Suh of Bayside, N.Y.
1. Instagram or Snapchat?
Christian: Instagram definitely (@supersuhtkd).
2. After a long trip outside the country, what would be your ideal first meal back in the States?
Christian: Hmmm, this is a hard one. I basically live in New York City so we have the best foods of every culture. But I'm always down for Speculoos Chip from Davey's Ice Cream in East Village.
3. Favorite thing to eat?
Christian: Korean barbecue, hands down.
4. Living celebrity you would like to meet and why?
Christian: Akira Toriyama, the creator of the Dragon Ball series. His stories were a huge part of my childhood and influenced my martial arts lifestyle.
5. What is your favorite restaurant?
Christian: I'm a big fan of a restaurant called Izakaya in East Village. The restaurant is small, but the decor is cute and the atmosphere is very hipster with a Japanese twist. They serve Japanese comfort food.
6. What is your favorite television program?
Christian: My favorite show at the moment is "Iron Fist". My stepmom, Jane Kim, is on episode 6 as the bride of nine spiders.
7. What is your favorite movie?
Christian: My favorite movie at the moment is "Kimi no na wa (Your Name)". Ten out of 10 would recommend this movie -- excellent character development and very good visuals.
8. A little known fact about yourself that many would find interesting?
Christian: My favorite animal is the sea turtle. I find them very majestic.
9. What is your favorite season -- winter, spring, summer or fall?
Christian: Summer is definitely my favorite season. Barbecues, beaches, taekwondo tournaments, festivals...it's the best part of the year.
10. Sport you're best at other than taekwondo?
Christian: I'm probably best at Brazilian jiu-jitsu after taekwondo. I've been practicing a few years and have won a few medals. I practice under Alexandre "Soca" Freitas, who is a current world champion and considered a living legend in the Brazilian jiu-jitsu community.
11. What is your hometown best known for?
Christian: My hometown, Bayside, New York, is best known for being the perfect mix of urban and suburban. You can walk down Bell Boulevard and see tons of restaurants and liveliness...but two blocks down see single-family homes. Also, we have many people commuting to and from the city via the Long Island Railroad.
12. You never leave the house without?
Christian: Backpack full of workout essentials: supplements, workout gear, hygiene products, etc.
13. Favorite emoji?
Christian: I have two! ~_~ and <(•_•)>
14. Best place you have competed in the States?
Christian: Best place in the U.S. to compete was probably the venue in Portland, Oregon. It was pretty entertaining to see all the people cosplaying in the anime convention that was taking place next to us competing at the President's Cup G2.
15. Other than family, who would you like to invite to complete a dinner foursome (individuals can be dead or alive)?
Christian: Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Tony Robbins and Boyan Slat. It would be excellent conversing about technology, the future of mankind, how to help people, and how to save the Earth.
16. Favorite venue and city to compete outside of the U.S.?
Christian: The venue for the 2008 World Junior Championships in Izmir, Turkey was pretty awesome.
17. Top songs on your phone or music service?
1. Imaginary Friends - Talamasca
2. Falling - Snakehips
3. Flamingo - Kero Kero Bonito
4. Easy - Porter Robinson/Mat Zo
5. Love (feat Bumkey, Paloalto) - Primary
18. Age your became a taekwondo fan?
Christian: I was a fan before I started practicing in 1997. I grew up watching former National Team members like my Dad (Jin Suh), Tony Graf and Eleni Koutsilianos.
19. TV show you can't miss, even when out of the country?
Christian: "Attack On Titan (Shingeki No Kyojin)". It always leaves you on the craziest cliff hangers.
20. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Christian: In my spare time I watch anime (if you haven't noticed already), listen to live music, spend time at the beach, practice yoga, practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and explore.