USATT Insider poses 11 questions to Tara Profitt, 2012 Paralympian
1) Why do you play?Table Tennis was one of the few sports I could compete in after a diving accident in 1979. Being an athlete and a very competitive person before my accident playing table tennis allowed me to continue to be that person.
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
My favorite tournament is Copa Costa Rica. This is an ITTF Para Table Tennis event that takes place in San Jose, Costa Rica.
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
At this point in my Table Tennis career my primary nemesis is Catia Oliveira from Brazil. Catia is the Number 6 World ranked player in my Para class of 2. Catia is also the number one player in class 2 in the Americas region. Last time I played Catia was at the ParaPan Ams in Toronto last year and I lost -9,-7,-7.
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
I like to score by doing whatever it takes to get the ball to my backhand so I can attack.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
I really like the poly ball. I feel it lessens the spin and pace on the ball and when you sit very close to the table to play the poly ball allows for a little more time to react to it.
6) Toughest Loss?
All losses are tough but the current toughest loss I had was at the 2015 ParaPan Am games in Toronto. I lost to the 3rd seed Alma Padilla from Mexico 11-9 in the 5th after dropping the 4th game 16-14.
7) Greatest Win?
My greatest win was when I beat Rosangela Dalcin from Brazil at the 2011 ParaPan Am games in Mexico. That win advanced me to the semifinals and probably helped me earn enough points to qualify to be a member of the 2012 Paralympic Table Tennis team.
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
I prepare for a tournament by practicing more and trying to get plenty of sleep.
9) When you see a new player at the club, what do you do?
I am cordial when a new person comes to the club. I try to get to know a little about the person then I offer to play with them.
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
I would like to play Jenson Van Emburgh at a tournament.
11) If you had to face Timothy or Crystal Wang what would your game plan be?
First I would ask Crystal or Timothy if they would like to play against me sitting down so at least I would have a shot of winning. I would then try to get the match started ASAP before they can adjust to serving and hitting the ball from a seated position.