Statement from the CEO of USA Table Tennis Virginia Sung:
Last night, the President addressed the nation on the travel suspension from Europe to the United States. The new policy will go into effect on Friday at 11:59 pm ET. We know some of you are still training and competing in Europe, and out of an abundance of caution we recommend that all athletes who are abroad return home as soon as possible. Your health and safety are our highest priority, and we are here to provide the support and care that you may require. We will provide travel assistance to you so that you may return home. Should you decide to remain abroad for any reason we ask that you please remain in close and direct contact with us so that we know where you are and can provide you any assistance you may need. This is critically important, and thank you for your anticipated understanding and cooperation.
The new policy:
- Suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in the Schengen Zone countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States
- Does not apply to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents, or (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens
- Provides that U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents will be tested upon their return to the U.S. and will have to self-quarantine for 14 days
Schengen Zone Countries:
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Further, we understand that arrivals for U.S. citizens and legal residents will be redirected to 11 airports which have implemented enhanced screening procedures (Boston and Miami will be added today). They are:
1. John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
2. Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
3. San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
4. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
5. Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
6. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), California
7. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
8. Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia
9. Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
10. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
11. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW), Michigan
We will be monitoring official information on COVID-19 from governmental health authorities and will provide updates as they become available.