USATT Insider poses 11 questions to Florida Junior Star Sherlyn Barvie-Perez!
11 Questions with Sherlyn Barvie-Perez
1) Why do you play?
I play table tennis because it is my passion and one of the best exercises for both body and mind. It is also a great challenge – a sport impossible to master.
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
Clearwater Winter Open. It’s in my club, near my home and the conditions are great.
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
Kit Jeerapaet, because he is the best player in my club and one of the top players in Florida.
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
Short serve followed by a fast forehand.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
It has higher rebound, slower speed, decreasing speed at topspin strokes.
6) Toughest Loss?
In Cuba at the Nationals 2 years ago when I lost the under 14 final because I was too nervous to play.
7) Greatest Win?
U2100 final at Clearwater Winter Open. I was down 0-2 and with help from my coach I found myself winning the match.
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
I make my training a little bit more intense and frequent, prepare myself mentally with a goal in mind.
9) When you see a new player at the club, what do you do?
I introduce myself and other players so he/she feels welcome then point them to registration.
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
Ding Ning, because she is lefthander like me and I could learn a lot from her.
11) If you had to face Crystal Wang what would your game plan be?
I would not go into spinning rallies with her, she would outplay me. I would try to counter-stroke with her.