USATT Insider poses 11 questions to US Men's Champion Jimmy Butler.
11 Questions with Jimmy Butler
1) Why do you play?
I play because I love the game.
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
Favorite tournament is the U.S. Nationals because it's in Las Vegas, and it has so much history and name recognition.
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
Primary nemesis Nationally was Sean O'Neill in the 1980's, and 1990's.
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
I like to pin people on their backhand side...however if their backhand is as effective or better I have to change tactics.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
The new Poly Ball is of poor quality except for the Nittaku Premium and Xu Shaofa ball. The players all hope the quality of the other manufacturers improve over time.
8) Toughest Loss?
Losing 1991 U.S. National Finals to Sean O'Neill. Losing to J-O Waldner at 1991 Swedish Open after leading 2-0 in games (best of 5 to 21 points).
7) Greatest Win?
I defeated J-O Waldner the very next time I played him.
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
Make sure my body is fully rested.
9) When you see a new player at the club?
I keep to myself because I'm always practicing.
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
I like to play players better than me because it provides an opportunity to gauge my level, and it's an opportunity to get a big win.
11) If you had to face World Cup Winner Ma Long what would your game plan be?
If I had to face Ma Long, I would ask him to come to the U.S., play him on slippery concrete with no barriers and no scorekeeper, and swing away. ;)