USATT Insider poses 11 questions to Jerry Vasquez.
11 Questions with Jerry Vasquez
1) Why do you play?
For the pure enjoyment!
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
Joola Team championships
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
40+ plastic ball
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
Heavy spin with either fh or bh deep to bh corner or opponents middle.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
Less spin than previous ball and far more unpredictable in terms of topspin bounce.
8) Toughest Loss?
2015 U.S. Open, lost to a ~2450 player from Mexico when I was up 2-1 in games, and up 8-4 in the fourth. I was then down like 8-3 then came back and I was up 10-9 and then finally lost something like 16-14.
7) Greatest Win?
Best win against Homayoun Kamkar-Parsi (2600) from Canada at the U.S. Open! Best accomplishment has to be my 4 year old son Elijah Vasquez!
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
I practice mainly serve and attack drills and play many practice matches and some tournaments.
9) When you see a new player at the club?
I would usually play with them and try to get to know them while practicing!
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
2000 Olympic Gold Medalist, Kong Linghui
11) If you had to face Jimmy Butler, Lily Zhang or Kanak Jha what would your game plan be?
For everyone I would play a steady spin game. And try not give any free points. Especially with Jimmy!