Nominations for the 8 end of the year awards streamed in from around the NCTTA Nation and the winners voted on by the NCTTA Board of Directors are as follows:
- Male athlete - Feng Zhe (Texas Wesleyan)
- Female athlete - Lily Zhang (UC Berkeley)
- Rookie of the year - Tong Zhang (Mississippi College)
- Coach of the year - Sam Howes- (University of Western Ontario)
- Rookie team of the year - McGill University
- Most improved - UCLA
- Division Director of the Year: John Drsek (Ohio division)
- Regional Director of the year: Jay Lu (Northeast)
Each will win a 50 dollar coupon code to Joola.
Here are what some of the people who nominated our winners said!
"Sam Howes from Western Ontario for Coach of the Year as I feel as though he has played an integral part of the team by going out of his way to ensure that everyone on the team feels like they are a part of the table tennis family. He has even gone beyond expectations to ensure that players would be able to go the Nationals (like meeting with deans) something most coaches would not have done."
Sam Howes is our Coach of the Year in NCTTA and a volunteer like many of us.
Many of the nominations brought many accolades about Tong Zhang with reference to his quality of character and mental fortitude after pulling off 3 consecutive amazing shots in the final team doubles match.
"He is the athlete I aspire to become: One with mental fortitude and humility, one with talent and yet a will to learn even more. I came out of NCTTA respecting him both as a player and as a human being."
He may have won Male Athlete of the Year had it not been for Feng Zhe's unparalleled undefeated tournament which is also amazing to note. Tong Zhang is pictured below right after the last point of the Team Championships.