11 Questions with Roger Dickson
1) Why do you play?
Mainly for fun and fitness but also to challenge myself to keep improving.
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
Tie between the Millcreek October Open and Decatur Open (now that it is in a great venue!). The NCTTA National Championships – not as a player but as a sponsor or when needed umpire – best event for players, year after year!
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
All juniors or players who look like they spin the ball but don’t!
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
Short serve to the forehand then follow with a strong loop back to the short / wide forehand.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
Like them when they are new and on a table with good grip, hate them when they are old and slick as ice! Hard to train with any of the balls as the conditions of the table and age of the practice balls are not the same as competition conditions. This needs to improve and the price of the balls needs to come down if they are going to continue to have such a short life!
6) Toughest Loss?
Any that occur during a team event! Hate to let my teammates down!
7) Greatest Win?
Ending a team tie recently with a 5th game win over a player undefeated in group play!
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
Footwork with my Robo-Pong 2050 and serve / return practice plus a lot of sleep!
9) When you see a new player at the club, what do you do?
Spend as much time as possible making them feel like they have been there for years!
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
Waldner in the over 40’s final! Or Ding Ning, just to see those serves fly off my racket!
11) If you had to face Jimmy Butler, Lily Zhang or Kanak Jha what would your game plan be?
Keep everything short, low and spinny! No fast points ever!