Hau Lam - Former Oregon State Champion and Cosmos Table Tennis Founder
11 Questions with Hau Lam
1) Why do you play?
Passion. Health. Friendship.
2) Which is your favorite tournament?
3) Who is your primary nemesis?
Profile: long pips illegal serving players.
4) What is your favorite game tactic to score?
Deep under spin serves to the opponent's weak side, side step to rip on serve-return.
5) Thoughts on the Poly Ball.
Slows down the pace to allow my footwork to lead.
6) Toughest Loss?
Led 2-0 and lost in 5th US Open U2200.
7) Greatest Win?
Behind 15-20 in the 2nd game (best of three 21-pt games) and came back to win US Open U2100.
8) How you prepare for a tournament?
Condition 2 weeks before. The last 2 days are all diet: carb loading and some red wine (I tend to go overboard with the wine, which is obviously a mistake).
9) When you see a new player at the club, what do you do?
Make him/her feel welcome and get table time.
10) Player you would most like to play in a tournament?
My Vietnam Provincial Junior Team coach, Anh Thới.
11) If you had to face Jimmy Butler what would your game plan be?
Stay away from his backhand!