Today marks the 100-day countdown to the change in the ITTF’s leadership. On September 1, Germany’s Thomas Weikert will become the ITTF President. Adham Sharara will assume the newly-created role of Chair.
Over this 100-day period, I will share a series that features the past, present and future of the ITTF, with a particular emphasis on news and developments during the Sharara era.
While I was already conceptualizing what form this idea would have, I was coincidentally influenced by the May 16th televised tribute to Barbara Walters that highlighted key accomplishments during her illustrious career. In the piece, she referenced the importance of “promotion,” a new key word for the ITTF.
She said, “I believe in promotion. I think if you’re going to do something, you should tell people about it. I promote every interview I do. If you’re going to do it, what’s the point of doing it, working that hard, and not telling people about it? At least open your window and shout!”
There is much the ITTF has to be proud of, things we can and should promote. A sample of the topics I will be covering includes:
- news from the recently-concluded World Championships
- a review of major changes over the past 15 years
- an introduction to key ITTF officials/contributors
- the ITTF’s mission to be “top 5” among international federations
- successes and growing pains
- the unique role of table tennis in peace initiatives
- a look back at past presidents and their impact on the ITTF
So, please join me in this 100-day odyssey!