USA Softball is seeking submissions for the “Umpire Spotlight” section in Issue III of “Balls and Strikes", which is an official publication of the USA Softball. Any umpire who officiates for USA Softball, regardless of their age, discipline and level, will be considered for the feature but a limited number will be selected for the publication.
To be considered, email answers to the following questions and a high resolution headshot and action shot to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Umpire Spotlight submission". Questions should be answered in the body of the email and not sent as an attachment. The photo should be sent as an attachment. The deadline is Wednesday, September 21.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Incomplete submissions, including those without a photo, will not be considered for the publication.
1. What is your name?
2. How old will you be in September 2022?
3. Where are you from and what association do you register with?
4. When did you get started umpiring for USA Softball?
5. What division do you umpire (youth fast pitch, adult slow pitch, adult fast pitch, co-ed slow pitch, etc...)?
6. What is your favorite thing about umpiring softball?
7. What are your goals in umpiring?
8. What is the best experience that you have had in softball so far?
9. What umpiring accomplishment are you most proud of?
10. What is the toughest obstacle you have had to overcome in the sport?
11. Are you a member of any USA Softball umpire awards program (Elite Umpire, Medals Umpire, NIF Umpire, ISF Umpire)?
12. Have you ever umpired at an USA Softball National Championship, State Tournament, etc...?
13. What is your favorite thing about umpiring for USA Softball?
14. Is there anything you would like to add?
15. If we have additional information, how can we contact you?
To be considered for Issue III of “Balls and Strikes", you must answer questions 1-15 above and submit the answers in the body of an email, not as an attachment. Send answers to the questions only. Do not include essays, recommendations, etc. Submissions that do not include a photo will be discarded.
Please note that USA Softball will not confirm if entries are received. If your submission is not selected for Issue III, please consider submitting it for Issue IV in December 2022.