Board of Directors Update -- Serving Up the News -- August 2022
It's Time to Prepare!
MEETING HIGHLIGHTS -- USA Racquetball Board of Directors – July 25, 2022
Eleven Board members were in attendance via Zoom.
Following are some points of interest:
Executive Director Update (Mike Wedel)
Pre-read document provided in advance of the meeting. Updates included:
- A marketing campaign for increasing membership is currently being developed. As a major revenue stream to help ensure the continuation of USA Racquetball and all it has to offer the sport and its members (https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Racquetball/Features/2021/July/20/Infographic-Update), focus on membership is crucial.
- Reaching out is important to those whose memberships have expired or are due to expire. This, coupled with the focus of the Membership Committee, requires considerable attention.
- A World Games recap was provided on the events and the logistics of how the event came together in Birmingham (early July). The USA Racquetball all-Lucite stadium court presented impressively both in real life at the venue and on video streams.
- The US OPEN is a primary focus for the USAR Staff, Board members, and volunteers. A number of past US OPEN team members are not returning and as such, a number of key management/coordinator roles are looking to be filled. Details around admission, sponsorship, and vendor areas were all discussed.
A broader and more detailed discussion around the US OPEN portion of the Executive Director update took place in this meeting.
Budget/Finance Committee Update (Steve Czarnecki)
USA Racquetball finances through the first half of 2022 have been challenging. The greatest concern is in the area of membership, which has plateaued at approximately 5,000 members following some recovery from the declines experienced during COVID. Without sizable growth in membership in the near term, USA Racquetball will not be positioned to operate under its historical business model. The financial focus continues to be on membership revenue recovery, fundraising, and championships profit, including sponsorship. The US OPEN will be very impactful on the association’s profit and loss statement for the year.
Committee Updates (Terry Rogers)
- Terry updated the Board on the fact that the website has been updated. She will be organizing a quarterly update from the committees to the Board.
- Todd Boss provided updates on the Referee Certification transition process as well as an update from the Membership Committee.
Next Meeting: Monday, August 29, 2022
We hope you are finding this newsletter feature informative, and we always welcome suggestions and/or questions to include in future updates. Please contact Stewart Solomon (President) at email@example.com.
If you have questions about the Staff’s activities, please contact Mike Wedel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay safe and healthy, everyone!