USA Racquetball continues to regularly monitor concerns associated with Coronavirus (COVID-19), and we want to take a moment to provide an update as it relates to USA Racquetball activities, including upcoming national and international tournaments.
Statement from the Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Jonathan Finnoff, of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee:
"As the status of the Coronavirus outbreak is dynamic and ever changing, the USOPC Infectious Disease Advisory Group - comprised of infectious disease experts from exceptional institutions around the country, and an internal multi-departmental USOPC Coronavirus working group - remains engaging and working closely with the CDC, WHO, and IOC's medical staff to regularly obtain up to date information, disseminate this information, and establish policies and procedures related to this infectious disease.
The following online resources are available, including: WHO Coronavirus Website, CDC Coronavirus Website. The IOC has also developed specific advice for athletes, including a statement from the IOC Medical and Scientific Director, Dr. Richard Budgett. We encourage you to follow the travel, prevention, testing, and treatment recommendations outlined by the CDC.
We recommend the following prevention measures for all athletes and staff. These include social distancing, frequent handwashing, avoiding contact with your face, covering your mouth with a tissue or your elbow, staying home if you are sick, and regularly cleaning frequently touched surfaces. It is also best practice to ensure immunizations are up to date to reduce the risk of seasonal flu infections."
Best ways to prevent spreading COVID-19:
- Practice frequent and meticulous handwashing with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- When coughing or sneezing, it is suggested to do so into a flexed elbow
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Quarantine anyone who is sick (players, coaches, parents, roommates)
- Ensure safe food sources; thoroughly cook meat and eggs
- Handshakes after games should be replaced by fist bumps with your gloved hand
- Use individual water bottles; do not share them
- Towels should not be shared in any way
The remaining 2020 National Championships will still be held as scheduled. Currently, there is no indication that the 2020 Pan American Racquetball Championships or the 2020 IRF World Championships will be canceled.
We will continue to keep you updated as we gather more information on the topic.