John LoMonaco passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at the age of 57. He collapsed in the locker room of the Spectrum Club in Canoga Park, just after winning his last game against Kevin Barlia. John played three or four times a week and had many wins to his credit, including several NMRA medals and a 55-A championship in 2007 at the USA Racquetball National Singles in Houston. He lived in West Hills, California, near the club, and ran his own fire safety and inspection business.
In memory of John, an anonymous friend has established a grant for an all expenses paid trip to the USA Racquetball National Singles Championships in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, May 20-24, 2015.
Past Year Recipients
The recipient of the John LoMonaco Memorial Grant:
Covered expenses will be: entry fee (two divisions), meals, five nights’ lodging at the host hotel, coach airfare, ground transportation, and a pass to the VIP tent in the Players’ Village. The recipient will submit receipts to USA Racquetball for personal reimbursement not to exceed $2,000. Companion costs will be at the expense of the recipient or his/her companion.
- May be male or female and must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- May not have previously competed in the USA Racquetball National Singles Championships.
- Will submit an application and write an essay no longer than 500 words expressing why he/she wants to attend and compete in the National Singles Championships 2015.
- Will sign an official copy of this application
- Will sign a USA Racquetball liability waiver as well as a release for use of his/her likeness in publications at USA Racquetball’s discretion.
- Will write an article describing his/her experiences as a first-time National Singles player for possible publication in the USA Racquetball eNewsletter and/or Racquetball magazine.
- Will provide USA Racquetball with a planned travel itinerary for review and approval
- Must accept these terms and conditions in a signed agreement
The essay and application become the property of USA Racquetball and will not be returned. The Executive Committee of the USAR Board, along with the anonymous contributor, will make the final determination as to who will receive the grant. Any misrepresentation or inaccuracy of any provided information renders this application null and void.
Please send your completed form and essay to USA Racquetball, email@example.com. The deadline for submission is February 28, 2015 with the recipient announcement on or before March 31, 2015.
Why I want to attend and compete in the 2015 National Singles Championships (500 words or less)