LAKE PLACID, N.Y. - In its final race of the season, USA Luge shattered a team record. The organization announced Monday that the sixth annual Duluth Trading Company Running of the Balls fundraiser doubled its previous best effort. The sale of 1,800 balls plus sponsor donations, totaled $38,000. The previous best was the 2019 event that generated $19,000. The competition took place down the mile-long track at the Olympic Sports Complex.
“This event went significantly above any reasonable estimation we could have foreseen,” said Gordy Sheer, USA Luge Director of Sponsorship and Marketing, and an Olympic silver medalist. “We have to thank every individual and sponsor who took us all the way to $38,000. This is a massive achievement, and will go a long way in funding our teams for next season.”
Watch the webcast of the record-breaking race by logging on to www.usaluge.org.
Duluth Trading Company prizes for the yellow, orange and white ball race were awarded as follows:
- Evan Brodie, Croton, N.Y., $1,000 plus the Duluth Leather Duffle Bag
- Anna Andreeva, Moscow, Russia, $500 plus the Duluth Cargo Bold Backpack + Growler
- Mary Ann Deignan, New York, N.Y., $300 plus Duluth Tool Bag + Growler
- Tracy Gordon, Sussex, Wis., $200 plus the Duluth CargoBold Backpack
- Stefanie Loebl, Tyngsboro, Mass., $100 plus Duluth Tool Bag
- Shirley Schmidt, Kaukauna, Wis., Duluth Karl’s Lunchbox + Growler
- Amy Ike, Lititz, Pa., Duluth Karl’s Lunchbox
- Thomas Anthony, Parma, Ohio, Duluth Growler
- Glen Christophersen, Rogers, Ark., Duluth Spit & Polish Gift Basket
- Jim and Sharon Cushman, Lake Placid, Duluth Travel Mug & Tougher Guy Hat
Last place – Doug Pietrick, Macedonia, Ohio, $100 plus the Duluth Tougher Guy Hat
In addition to Duluth Trading Company, media sponsors include the , , and . Sponsors include Margarita Sears, Barrett Quinn, , , , , , , The UPS Store Lake Placid, , , and