Attention Elite Team Roster members,
USA Judo is updating the event selection procedure from quarterly to twice a year for 2018. Once for the period from January 1 - June 30, 2018 and a second time for the period from July 1 - December 31, 2018.
Selections for teams for the Grand Prixs and Grand Slams will be made based on the IJF World Ranking Roster (WRL) as of December 11, 2017. Athletes who have been confirmed for any Grand Prix or Grand Slam rosters will be notified via email so that they can start making arrangements.
Choices for tournaments will be awarded in descending order for those who are ranked highest on the WRL and so on.
I.e., those who are ranked #1 on the WRL in their weight division will be given their top 3 choices for Grand Prixs and Grand Slams. Those ranked #2 in their WRL weight division will be given their top 2 choices. Finally, those who are ranked #3 in their weight division and beyond, in descending order (i.e. #3, 4, 5, etc.), will be given their first choice out of the tournaments they’ve asked to attend that still have an open spot available. For this reason, it is important that athletes list all events they are interested in attending for the first half of the year. This process will be followed until all available spots have been filled for each Grand Prix and Grand Slam.
Even if the two available slots are already filled in a particular weight division for Grand Prixs and Grand Slams, athletes may still have the opportunity to request to fill in a spot that has become open before a tournament deadline. Please follow the steps below for open spots.
For spots that were never filled for any particular Grand Prix or Grand Slam, also follow the procedure for open spots below.
Open Spots Procedure – Grand Prixs and Grand Slams
It will be the responsibility of each athlete to check the posted rosters periodically here: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo/Athletes/Seniors/2018-Event-Rosters-Jan-Jun in case a spot opens up on one of the Grand Prix or Grand Slam rosters. You must submit your request to fill in an open spot by the specific deadline posted for each tournament. USA Judo will evaluate athletes who have submitted requests to fill in any open spots and determine who is ranked higher on the WRL on that deadline day (each tournament will have a different deadline posted) in order to select who will fill the spot. If an empty spot becomes available after the posted deadline, USA Judo will be unable to fill anyone in for that spot as we have to meet submission deadlines for hotels, transportation, payment, etc. as posted by the organizing committee for each tournament.
- Below are the tournaments that will be available to select once the selection form is posted to the USA Judo website on Friday, November 24, 2017.
- There will be no limit on the number of selections athletes can make.
- Specific deadlines for each event will continuously be posted and/or updated on the same web page for each tournament as information is received from the IJF.
1. Jan 19-21 - Tunis Grand Prix
a. Dec. 12 – Deadline to submit hotel info (check in/check out dates, room type, requested roommate)
b. Dec. 14 – Deadline to request to fill in any open spots
c. Dec. 15 – Deadline to fill out online form
d. Dec 18 – Deadline to submit credit card information, passport copy, full flight itinerary copy
Jan 26-28 - Marrakech Grand Prix CANCELLED (12-06-2017) See #11
a. Dec. 19 – Deadline to submit hotel info (check in/check out dates, room type, requested roommate)
b. Dec. 21 – Deadline to request to fill in any open spots
c. Dec. 22 – Deadline to fill out online form
d. Dec 25 – Deadline to submit credit card information, passport copy, full flight itinerary copy
3. Feb 3-4 - European Open Odivelas (women only)
4. Feb 3-4 - European Open Sofia (men only)
5. Feb 10-11 - Paris Grand Slam
6. Feb 17-18 - European Open Rome (women only)
7. Feb 17-18 - European Open Oberwart (men only)
8. Feb 23-25 - Dusseldorf Grand Prix
9. Feb 17-18 - European Open Warsaw (women only)
10. Feb 17-18 - European Open Prague (men only)
11. Mar 9-11 - Agadir Grand Prix (replaces Marrakech Grand Prix)
12. Mar 10-11 - Pan American Open Santiago de Chile
13. Mar 17-18 - Yekaterinburg Grand Slam
14. Mar 17-18 - Pan American Open Lima
15. Mar 24-25 - Pan American Open Buenos Aires
16. Mar 30-Apr 1 - Tbilisi Grand Prix
17. Apr 6-8 - Antalya Grand Prix
18. May 11-13 - Baku Grand Slam
May 15 - Start of qualification period for Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - End of suspension of original selection criteria as detailed in criteria update above (original selection criteria as detailed is back in place).
19. May 25-27 - Hohhot Grand Prix
20. Jun 2-3 - European Open Madrid
21. Jun 9-10 - European Open Tallinn
22. Jun 15-17 - Cancun Grand Prix
***Please note*** Athletes must meet the specific deadlines for each tournament (posted at the same location as the team rosters). Athletes will be removed from that tournament roster if any of the deadlines are not met.
Please watch for the event selection form to go live on Friday! USA Judo will be posting the announcement to the website https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/usajudoofficial/.