USA Judo Sports Envoy to Marseille
June 5-11, 2017
USA Judo athletes Nina Cutro-Kelly and Mariah Holguin, and USA Judo coach Jim Hrbek are in Marseille, France this week on a U.S. State Department sponsored Sports Envoy program.
Sports Envoys are American athletes and coaches who travel overseas to lead programs that were developed by U.S. embassies and consulates. These American coaches and athletes lead sports clinics for young people and their coaches, participate in community outreach activities, and engage youth in a dialogue on the importance of leadership and respect for diversity. State Department's Sports Diplomacy Division manages the Sports Envoy programs, working in cooperation with the U.S. Olympic Committee, U.S. sports federations, and professional leagues to identify athletes and coaches in various sports who are chosen by U.S. embassies and consulates.
Nina, Mariah, and Jim will visit multiple community centers in Marseille to meet with young, under-privilege children and judoka. Their trip includes:
Tuesday, June 6
- Participate in training sessions with 50+ students of the French national “Pole” judo team.
- Meet the trainers and athletes if the Team Judo-Jujitsu dojo.
- Visit with underserved elementary school children from the Ambosini public school in partnership with the Saint Gabriel community center and ACCESS Association.
- Host three training session for 100+ underserved children and adults at the Team Judo-Jujitsu dojo.
Wednesday, June 7
- Brazilian Jujitsu afternoon training session.
- Group judo training session with 50+ teens at the Lycee Saint-Exupery.
Thursday, June 8
- Meet with Marseille Sports Representatives at the Jeux Internationaux de la Jeunesse – International Youth Games.
- Have lunch with the middle schoolers at the College Marsilleveyre Middle/High School – Outreach: Sports and English.
- Training session with French Pole Espoir 50+ middle/high school students.
Friday, June 9
- Meet Mr. Francois Noel, Marseille Sports Capital 2017 Organizer.
- Judo training session with mentally handicapped teenagers from the Institut Medico-Educatif Mont Riant.
- Judo training session with two groups at the Entente Sportive Marseille Judo Club.
Saturday, June 10
- Martial Arts Festival Show – USA Judo representatives will do a demonstration fight with local judoka. 1,800 people are expected to attend.
Pictures will be posted as their trip progresses.