USA Field Hockey NEWS Weekend College Game...

Weekend College Games: Relive 2019 NCAA Opening, First, Second & Third Rounds

Nov. 12, 2020, 7:19 p.m. (ET)

Photo courtesy of Delaware Athletics/Mark Campbell

Teams announced and brackets set. This time last year, 46 Division I, II and III teams were preparing for their respective NCAA Tournament to start for a chance to go after the national title. Let's take a look back at the 2019 match-ups in the NCAA Opening, First, Second and Third Rounds.



NOVEMBER 13, 2019


University Field, Fairfield, Conn.

No. 25 Fairfield 3 - 1 No. 23 American
Fairfield hosted American in the first NCAA Division I Tournament opening round game in Connecticut. 
The Stags earned the right to participate in the 2019 NCAA Tournament after capturing the Northeast Conference championship, defeating Rider University by a 2-1 score in overtime. The victory improved Fairfield's overall record to 18-2 and extended the team's winning streak to a program-record 11 games. The Eagles garnered their bid by winning the Patriot League title with a 3-2 win over Lafayette. American improved to 13-5 overall with the win, the team's third straight victory. Both Fairfield and American were unbeaten in their respective conference with a 6-0 record. The last time these two teams met was September 2016 where American came out on top 4-2.

The game started as so many have for the Stags, a defensive struggle between two teams without much offense to show for the effort. In the first quarter, Fairfield took the only shot in the 15-minute span which required American goalkeeper Fiona Minter to kick the ball away for her first save of the day. The second quarter provided more action up front but still no goals to show on the scoreboard as the Stags held a slight 2 to 1 shot advantage in the quarter.

While the second half has generally been Fairfield's time to shine, most times the second-half success was nearly exclusive to the fourth quarter. That didn't prove to be the case as Fairfield scored the game's first goal just 37 seconds into the third quarter. Luzi Persiehl started the play when she took control of the ball and attacked from the right side, drawing defenders toward her. She sidestepped two defenders and sent a pass to the center of the circle where Emma Matlach waited. Matlach collected the pass, stopped the ball and sent a shot into the back of the cage to put the host school in front. Being down by a goal seemed to spark American's offensive prowess as the Eagles moved the ball with urgency despite having nearly 30 minutes left in the game. Fairfield handled the pressure for the most part as its back line kept American from setting any semblance of consistency in the circle.

After pressuring for the entire third quarter and for the first part of the fourth quarter, American finally broke through when they were awarded a penalty corner with less than 10 minutes left in regulation. Noor Coenen, who ranked among the nation's top 10 scorers, collected the ball at the top of the circle and sent the ball toward the right post. Josie Formica found space about 10 feet from the goal and was able to redirect the ball into the near corner to tie the game at 1-1.

Just as Fairfield's goal seemed to affect American, the Eagles tying goal helped ignite the Stags. Less than two minutes after American scored, Fairfield strung together three passes from midfield to the circle to score the game-winning goal. Malen Iglesias started the play by sending an aerial toward the circle. Julianna Kratz controlled the ball, made a quick spin and attacked the goal. As the goalkeeper came out to address her progress, Kratz sent a pass across the crease. Danielle Profita dove full extension and deflected the ball with her outstretched stick into the upper part of the cage to give the lead back to Fairfield and provide her most memorable goal.

Near desperation, American pushed everyone forward to try and find a way to tie the game but Fairfield's defense did not allow it. With so many players forward, the Stags were able to counter with under three minutes remaining, resulting in Mackenzie Boyle scoring her first career goal off another stellar pass from Iglesias.

Varsity Field, Stanford, Calif.

No. 15 Stanford 3 - 1 Miami
An NCAA Division I Tournament opening round game was set between Stanford and Miami at Varsity Turf in Stanford, Calif. Stanford captured three America East Conference titles in four seasons while the Red Hawks won their third straight Mid-American Conference Championship. Stanford was making their first NCAA appearance since a 2-1 loss to Miami in the 2017 opening round. Stanford led 6-2 in the all-time series against Miami. 

After a scoreless first quarter in which neither team produced a shot attempt or a penalty corner, Stanford quickly took control. Corinne Zanolli, who ripped off a game-high six shots, scored the first of her three goals in the 20th minute, firing a shot to the top corner following a cross from Fenella Scutt.

Leading 1-0 at halftime, Zanolli scored twice in a two-minute stretch at the start of the third quarter. After finding the cage unassisted at the 32:19 mark, she then converted a penalty stroke one minute later. The scoring barrage came as no surprise, with Zanolli producing her sixth hat trick of the season and ninth of her career.

Miami (Ohio) avoided the shutout when Leonor Berlie scored unassisted in the 59th minute. Stanford held advantages in shots (11-7) and penalty corners (4-3).

NOVEMBER 15, 2019


Karen Shelton Stadium, Chapel Hill, N.C.

No. 1 North Carolina 4 - 0 No. 15 Stanford Rewatch
Undefeated and 22-time Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) winner North Carolina hosted the first and second rounds of the NCAA Division I Tournament en route to the program’s quest for an eighth national title. This was the third year in a row that North Carolina earned the top seed in their 36th appearance.

The last time that North Carolina and Stanford played was back in 2016 in the exact NCAA Tournament First Round game. The Tar Heels got the only goal they needed in the 3-0 win just 3:30 into the action off a broken penalty corner. In their history of meetings, they have only met seven times with North Carolina taking all the victories.

The Tar Heels scored early on what would prove to be their only penalty corner of the day to take the lead for good. In the seventh minute of play, Yentl Leemans had the goal on the direct shot, assisted by Abby Pitcairn on the insert and Feline Guenther on the stick stop.

UNC scored again in the 20th minute, with Guenther tipping a rebound back into the cage for a 2-0 lead. The Tar Heels added one more in the second quarter, with Erin Matson scoring an unassisted goal on a close-range shot. With no time on the clock before halftime, Stanford drew two penalty corners and got off their first two shots of the game. But UNC goalkeeper Amanda Hendry made saves on both to preserve the shutout and give UNC a 3-0 advantage going into the second half.

UNC scored one more with 3 minutes to play in the game. Julia Herrington recorded her first career assist with a long pass from the right side to Matson, who tallied her 26th goal of the fall.

No. 8 Duke 2 - 3 No. 6 Iowa | Rewatch
Also played at Karen Shelton Stadium in North Carolina was Duke and Iowa in a rematch of a close game between the two teams back in September 2019. The game went into double overtime where Duke finally put the ball in the back of the goal to end the match. Duke earned an at-large bid after being eliminated early in the ACC tournament. The Blue Devils had an up and down year and will have to prove their grit as they fight to dance another day in their 18th berth into the tournament. Iowa stole the spotlight from Penn State by ending their playoff run in overtime to claim the Big Ten Conference title. This was the first time Duke and Iowa met in the NCAA tournament but still have a rich history of meetings that have led to this point.

The Hawkeyes established themselves early. Leah Zellner scored Iowa’s first goal and her seventh of the season five minutes into the game on an assist from Ciara Smith. Then, Smith, who scored or assisted on all three of Iowa’s goals, started to take over.

In the 11th minute on a pass into the circle from Maddy Murphy, Smith gave Iowa a 2-0 lead after dribbling to her right before scoring. Next, after an Iowa penalty corner, Smith scored her second goal of the game on a rebound. The goal gave Iowa a 3-0 lead and capped off a strong first half.

In the second half, Duke tried to chip away. A video referral gave the Blue Devils a penalty stroke in the 38th minute. Iowa  goalkeeper Leslie Speight guessed right on the stroke but couldn’t make the save. The Hawkeyes’ lead was cut to 3-1. Late in the third quarter, Speight made back-to-back saves on Duke penalty corner attempts to keep the score at 3-1.

With six minutes left in the fourth quarter, Duke made it a one goal game after the Blue Devils scored a rebound goal. Iowa owned a 3-2 lead when Duke pulled their goalkeeper with four minutes to play, but it didn’t matter. The Hawkeyes cleared the ball with roughly one minute left and that ended the game.

George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex, Storrs, Conn.

No. 2 Connecticut 2 - 1 No. 25 Fairfield (OT)
No. 2 Connecticut hosted the first and second round of the NCAA Division I Tournament in Storrs, Conn. In their first game of the tournament, they faced  Fairfield, after winning in the opening round against American. The Huskies eased through the Big East tournament, defeating Providence and then Old Dominion both by a score of 2-0. This marked the 18th straight appearance for the Huskies in the NCAA tournament and they know what it takes as they have won three of the last six Division I national championships.

The last time Connecticut and Fairfield went head-to-head was back in 2013. The Huskies won all of their ten history meetings but the Stags are fresh off an impressive scoring win to advance to the NCAA Tournament first round.

After a scoreless first half, in which Connecticut outshot Fairfield, 6 to 1, it was the Stags who broke the deadlock in the 38th minute. Julianna Kratz scored to give Fairfield the lead on what was recorded the only shot of the quarter for the visitors. UConn kept battling and tallied four more shots and one penalty corner but couldn't find the back of the net.

In the 49th minute, Connecticut's persistence paid off when Svea Boker tied the game at 1-1. Neither team tallied the go-ahead in regulation as the game went into overtime.

Just 50 seconds in to the extra time, UConn scored on their first shot when Sophie Hamilton sealed the win for the Huskies.

No. 9 Princeton 5 - 1 No. 13 Syracuse
Princeton and Syracuse met in the first round of the NCAA Division I Tournament in Storrs, Conn. The Tigers and Orange have not played each other since 2017 when Syracuse got on the board early and held on for the win at home. Syracuse did not make it beyond the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament in 2019 after they were bested by Louisville, but they earned an at-large bid for their 14th berth in program history. The team missed out on the tournament in 2018, so they are taking nothing for granted this year as they fight to continue on. Princeton will look to add to their 10-game winning streak by defeating the Orange. They took the Ivy League title without a blemish on their conference record.

Princeton's offense got started about four minutes into the game, earning consecutive penalty corners, but couldn't not solve Syracuse goalkeeper Sarah Sinck. The Tigers finally broke through with under two minutes to go in the first quarter. On a penalty corner, Hannah Davey knocked in an attempt from MaryKate Neff to make it 1-0.

Syracuse's best threat in the first half came halfway through the second quarter with back-to-back penalty corners, but Grace Baylis took a point-blank shot and sent it away. Two minutes later, Clara Roth corralled a turnover, went the distance and got it past Sinck for a two-goal advantage. Head coach Carla Tagliente's group held a 2-0 lead at the break and doubled up Syracuse in shots, 6 to 3.

Ali McCarthy opened up the second half scoring as she tapped in a high ball from Julianna Tornetta to extend the Tigers' lead to 3-0. Davey nabbed her second goal directly on a penalty corner as the clock read 7:10 in the third frame. Roth made it two Tigers with two goals each as she received a bouncing ball and sent it into the cage after inserting on a corner less than two minutes later.

Syracuse got on the scoreboard on a tip-in with four minutes to go in the third. The Orange thought they had another one on the final play of the stanza, but it was waved off after review.

Turf Field, Charlottesville, Va.

No. 4 Virginia 4 - 1 No. 10 Delaware
NCAA Division I Tournament ranked No. 3 and Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I Coaches Poll No. 4 Virginia hosted Delaware in the first round. Virginia suffered a devastating loss to Boston College in overtime to just miss the ACC Championship game. Delaware won the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) title by holding onto an early lead over Northeastern. The Cavaliers and Blue Hens last met in October 2018 where Delaware shutout Virginia and tallied two goals of their own in the regular season win.

Virginia took a 1-0 lead in the first quarter after a shot from Peyton Tollaksen was initially saved, but Erin Shanahan picked up the rebound and lifted it into the corner of the net. The 1-0 advantage held until Delaware’s Bo van Hunnki hooked in a shot from the left side of the net with five minutes left in the half.

Delaware had a prime opportunity in the third quarter when UVA had two players issued green cards and the Blue Hens had a two-man advantage, but the Virginia defense withstood the threat. In the fourth quarter, Anzel Viljoen tipped in a shot off a penalty corner from Amber Ezechiels to give UVA a 2-1 lead with 11 minutes remaining. Greer Gill pushed the advantage out to 3-1 after scoring on a loose ball following a save with 3 minutes remaining. A minute later, Colleen Norair scored her first goal of the year, knocking in another loose ball that had bounced to her off a Delaware stick.

No. 14 Saint Joseph's 0 - 4 No. 3 Maryland
Maryland extended the program’s 25-year streak of appearing in the NCAA Division I Tournament in 2019 as they met Saint Joseph’s in the first round of play. The Terrapins were eliminated from the Big Ten Conference tournament earlier than expected as Penn State overpowered the No. 1 seed and knocked them out in the semifinal round. Swiping an at-large bid, Maryland will look to pick up where they left off and continue through to the second round to face the winner of Virginia against Delaware. Saint Joseph’s took the program's third consecutive Atlantic 10 title by defeating host Richmond, 1-0. Their automatic bid matched them up with Maryland and they hope to prove their might against a tough opponent and make it past the first round. When the teams met in August 2017, Maryland was tested when the Hawks struck first.

The teams were scoreless at halftime, then Brooke DeBerdine scored her first goal of the year just 61 seconds into the third quarter to get the Terrapins' offense rolling. She tapped in a loose ball shot from Mayv Clune to put the Maryland on the board.

Just under 10 minutes later, Bodil Keus scored her first goal of the day when she banged in a shot off a penalty corner to make it a two-goal lead with 4 minutes left in the third quarter.

She struck again 6:35 into the fourth quarter when she tucked in a shot just under the crossbar off another penalty corner to make it 3-0.

Clune finalized the score at 4-0 with 3:26 to play when she sent in a shot between the Hawks's goalkeeper Victoriaa Kammerinke's feet on a one-on-one opportunity.

Maryland outshot Saint Joseph's 14to 11 and goalkeeper Noelle Frost made six saves which Kammerinke had two. The Hawks had eight penalty corners to four for the Terps.


Trager Stadium, Louisville, Ky.

No. 5 Louisville 2 - 1 No. 11 Michigan (2OT)
Two more at-large bids were claimed by Michigan and Louisville as they met at Trager Stadium in Louisville, Ky. Leading up to the selection show, Michigan was upset by Penn State in the Big Ten quarterfinals, while Louisville was ousted in the semifinals by North Carolina. The last time these two teams played was in 2017 where Michigan dominated the Cardinals, but the 2019 game will likely tell a very different story.

Michigan drew first blood in the opening quarter, with a goal from Meg Dowthwaite with just under three minutes remaining in the quarter.

UofL tied it up with 1:57 remaining in the third quarter, as Bethany Russ scored off of a rebound after a penalty corner.

With the game in the second sudden-victory overtime, Emilia Kaczmarczyk intercepted a Michigan pass and moved to the top of the circle and dished a pass to the left side where Russ, connected on a reverse stick shot with 1:46 remaining to give the Cards the victory.

With the win, the Cardinals tied a school record for wins set in 2001. In the tightly contested game, Louisville outshot the Wolverines 10 to 8 but Michigan had seven shots on goal to UofL's four with both teams being awarded four penalty corners.

No. 7 Boston College 2 - 1 No. 11 Northwestern
In Louisville, Ky., Boston College faced Northwestern in the first round of the NCAA Division I Tournament. Both teams took one of the eight at-large bids that were up for grabs to those who were eliminated in their conference tournaments. Northwestern claimed the regular season win when the teams met in early September with the score ending at 3-2. The Wildcats were coming off a tough loss to Iowa in the Big Ten semifinals, but the team will still make the program’s 15th appearance. Boston College came close to knocking out No. 1 North Carolina in their first appearance in the ACC Championship, but fell short.

The Eagles had complete control throughout the first half, out-shooting the Wildcats, 9 to 4. Boston College had nothing to show for it, until Margo Carlin broke free down the right side and received a pass from Nell Webber on her reverse on the run and tucked a low-angle shot into the back of the net to take the lead with 31 seconds remaining in the first half.

Boston College continued to have a hold on the game in the third period, but Northwestern drew a penalty stroke at the 48:34 mark. Northwestern's Bente Baekers stepped up to the spot and scored to tie the game at 1-1.

Then after some back-and-forth action in the fourth period, Elizabeth warner deflected a pass from Sky Caron on a penalty corner to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead with 1:06 remaining in the game.

The win gave Boston College their fourth NCAA Tournament victory and first since 2015.



Karen Shelton Stadium, Chapel Hill, N.C.

No. 1 North Carolina 2 - 1 No. 6 Iowa | Rewatch
The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) champions and Big Ten Conference winners went head-to-head in the NCAA Division I Second Round for a ticket to the Final Four. No. 1 North Carolina advanced after handling Stanford, 4-0, through two goals from Erin Matson. The Tar Heels held the advantage in shots 13 to 6 even though the Cardinal had a dominant third quarter. No. 6 Iowa came out hot in their First Round game against Duke establishing themselves early. Ciara Smith scored or assisted on all three of the Hawkeye's goals as they had a commanding 3-0 lead at halftime. Duke tallied two more but couldn't withstand the Iowa defense to secure their seventh time in school history advancing to the Second Round, or Elite Eight.

The last time No. 1 North Carolina and No. 6 Iowa met was in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge just the second game of 2019. The Tar Heels topped the Hawkeyes but it wasn't an easy defeat. After trailing 0-1, North Carolina had to score twice in the final five minutes to produce the comeback. The first-ever meeting between these two teams came in 2005, and since North Carolina has won 14 of the fifteen contests

The Hawkeyes gave UNC all it could handle from the start and scored first, on their first penalty corner of the game. Sofie Stribos had the goal, assisted by her sister, Lokke Stribos, to go up 1-0 with the Tar Heels still searching for their first shot of the game.

In the 25th minute of play, UNC's Matson carried the ball into the circle and drew the team's first (and what would prove to be only) penalty corner of the day. The Tar Heels capitalized, with Yentl Leemans passing to Matson for a hard shot that jetted just inside the left post.

The teams were tied until early in the fourth quarter. Just 26 seconds into the period, Catherine Hayden carried the ball to the top of the circle and passed to Marissa Creatore on the left side. Creatore spotted Feline Guenther sprinting toward the cage and sent a cross past Iowa goalkeeper Leslie Speight. Guenther deflected it in from the far post for a 2-1 lead that would stand for the final.

It was the 11th year in a row that UNC advanced to the Final Four.

Turf Field, Charlottesville, Va.

No. 4 Virginia 1 - 0 No. 3 Maryland (OT)
This top-five battle was one that you didn't want to miss! No. 4 Virginia advanced to the NCAA Division I Second Round following a 4-1 win over Delaware. The game was tied 1-1 with 11 minutes remaining in regulation before the Cavaliers offense scored three, fourth-quarter goals. This is the 13th time in program history that Virginia is advancing to the NCAA Elite Eight, with their last trip coming in 2016. No. 3 Maryland also produced a lofty four goals as they beat Saint Joseph's, 4-0. After being scoreless at halftime, then Brooke DeBerdine scored her first goal of the year just 61 seconds into the third quarter and the Terrapins didn't stop. They outshot 
Saint Joseph's 14 to 11 even though the Hawks' had eight penalty corners to four for Maryland. This is the Terrapins 24th appearance in the Elite Eight in the last 25 years.

These two teams last faced one another in September 2019, with Maryland coming out on top 3-2 in a shootout. The thrilling game saw Virginia with the lead twice, going up 1-0 and then 2-1, but both times Maryland came back to tie the game. After two scoreless overtimes, the game went to a shootout that was tied 3-3 after the initial five attempts by each team. Maryland's Bibi Donraadt made Maryland's sixth attempt, but Virginia missed its ensuing shot, sealing the victory for the Terrapins.

The game was a battle in the midfield, especially in the first half when the two teams took a combined seven shots. The game opened up in the second half, with Virginia penetrating the circle with some good looks at the goal, but Maryland’s goalkeeper kept the score at nil. Forty-one seconds into the fourth quarter, Annie McDonough seemingly scored, knocking a loose ball into the net, but the play was reviewed and the goal was waived off. The Cavaliers kept up the attack, rattling off six more shots in the period, but were turned away each time. Maryland had a good look at the goal late in the period, but couldn’t connect. Neither team took a shot for the final five minutes of regulation, sending the game into overtime.

Virginia had possession of the ball for most of the extra time. UVA’s best scoring opportunity came 5:18 into overtime when McDonough dribbled into the circle and found the foot of a Maryland defender to earn a penalty corner. Rachel Robinson took the initial shot, which was saved. She then corralled her own rebound and fired off a shot back toward the net. McDonough had her stick down on the ground and deflected it in to score the winning goal.

This was the fifth time in program history that the Cavaliers have advanced to the NCAA semifinals and the first time since 2010.


George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex, Storrs, Conn.

No. 2 Connecticut 0 - 2 No. 9 Princeton
No. 2 Connecticut, the Big East Champions, and No. 9 Princeton, Ivy League Champions, played in the third NCAA Division I Second Round game. Connecticut had to come from behind in a tough battle with Fairfield in the First Round game. The Huskies trailed 0-1 entering the fourth quarter but Big East Offensive Player of the Year Svea Boker tied the game in the 49th minute. The game remained tied following regulations, forcing it into overtime. Sophie Hamilton quickly sent Huskies on to the Second Round with her ninth goal of the season 50 seconds into the first overtime. After having about a week off as the Ivy League does not play a conference tournament, Princeton hit the field running and put their stamp on Syracuse. The Tigers' offense got started four minutes into the game, earning consecutive penalty corners. They used two first-half goals to separate themselves from Syracuse in a 5-1 victory which marked the 18th time in program history that they moved on to the NCAA Second Round.

The last time these two sides met, the game went into overtime. Back in September 2019, Connecticut got on the scoreboard first in the second quarter. Princeton tied the match just over 3 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter to force the contest into extra time. Boker scored the game winner just 4 minutes into the first overtime period. The Huskies outshot the Tigers 15-11. 

Connecticut had a few close chances but Princeton goalkeeper Grace Baylis kept the Huskies off the scoreboard about halfway through the first quarter with two point-blank saves. Right before the end of the quarter, Hannah Davey dribbled into the circle, but couldn't find a teammate on her pass attempt. MaryKate Neff put the Tigers in front as she knocked in a deflection following a penalty corner in the second quarter. Several minutes later, the Huskies tried for an equalizer, creating a 2v1, but the shot was wide of the cage. Princeton held a 5 to 4 shot lead through the first 30 minutes of action.

The Tigers opened up the second half with two shots, but couldn't produce a second goal. 10 minutes into quarter, UConn peppered Baylis with two straight attempts on a penalty corner, but she blocked them both before Neff stopped another ball from going in.

Davey provided the insurance tally less than 90 seconds into the fourth quarter as she collected a rebound and pushed it in. Connecticut pulled their goalkeeper with under eight minutes remaining, but did not get a shot off.

It's the ninth Final Four for Princeton in program history.


Trager Stadium, Louisville, Ky.

No. 5 Louisville 1 - 2 No. 7 Boston College (5-4 SO)
Another exciting match up between two top-10, ACC teams of No. 5 Louisville and No. 7 Boston College. It took Louisville two overtime periods to secure their place in the NCAA Division I Second Round after beating Michigan 2-1. The Wolverines scored first in the opening quarter. Louisville tied it up with 1:57 remaining in the third quarter, as Bethany Russ scored off of a rebound after a penalty corner. Regulation time came to a close and the first overtime period passed before Russ struck again to get the victory. With the win, the Cardinals tied a school record for wins set in 2001. Boston College and Northwestern rounded out the First Round play in an exciting match that went down to the wire. The Eagles had complete control throughout the first half, out-shooting the Wildcats 9 to 4. With 31 seconds remaining in the first half, Boston College's Margo Carlin tucked a low-angle shot into the back of the net to take the lead. Northwestern drew a penalty stroke at the 48:34 mark in the game and scored to tie it at 1-1. After some back-and-forth action in the fourth period, Elizabeth Warner deflected a pass from Sky Caron on a penalty corner to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead with 1:06 remaining in the game.

This meeting marks the second time these ACC opponents played in 2019. The first resulted in a 3-2 win for Louisville. The teams have met six times with Louisville owning a 4-2 edge in the all-time series.

Boston College opened the scoring with just six seconds left in the first half off the stick of Elizabeth Warner. She redirected a shot on a penalty corner by Sky Caron to put the Eagles in front.

Louisville answered in the 35th minute, when Bethany Russ hit a reverse from just inside the circle into the back of the net.

The game was then a back-and-forth match through regulation and into overtime.

Boston College's best chance of the overtime period came with 10 seconds left, when Carlin found Jamie Natale wide open on the right side of the goal. Natale beat the Louisville's goalkeeper Hollyn Barr, but rang it off the post. The game went to a shootout. Louisville jumped to a quick lead, 2-0, in the shootout before Carlin and Caron answered for the Eagles. Brigid Wood then had the ball on her stick to send the game into even more extra time, where she dribbled around the goalkeeper to keep Boston College's hopes alive.

Wood then stepped right back up and scored again to give the Eagles the lead in the sudden victory shootout. Louisville answered, but Carlin gave Boston College another lead in the seventh round. Eagles' goalkeeper Sarah Dwyer then stepped up, like she had all game, and made the game-winning save to end the game and the shootout.



NOVEMBER 16, 2019

Larkin Field, Manchester, N.H.

No. 5 Southern New Hampshire 0 - 1 No. 4 Kutztown (1-3 SO)
Kutztown traveled north to meet Southern New Hampshire in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division II Tournament. While Southern New Hampshire lost in the Northeast-10 Conference title game, they earned the right to be in the national tournament. They posted a 17-4 record on the season and looked to add to the wins column. Kutztown had an amazing season so far, securing themselves a spot in the tournament even though they did not win the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC). Their most recent win was over top-ranked West Chester who they upset in the PSAC semifinals. This is the first time the Golden Bears will appear in the tournament since 2007, so they will fight to stay in as long as possible.

After 80 minutes of back-and-forth play, primarily in each team's midfield, a scoreless game had to be decided one way, and a penalty shootout was the answer.

Kutztown's captain Molly Bobjak won the coin toss and elected to shoot first. Momentum had, as both Kyra Wozniak and Bobjak connected on two of Kutztown's first three attempts. Kerri Hanshaw (six saves) saved the first three Penmen attempts, and only let the fourth slip by. In the final round of the shootout, all Alyssa Donato needed to do was score to send her team moving on. And Donato delivered after regrouping when her initial shot was saved then lifting the rebound over a sprawled goalkeeper to hit the net.

The Golden Bears won just their second NCAA postseason game in program history, first since 1988.

Whitenight Field, East Stroudsburg, Pa.

No. 2 East Stroudsburg 1 - 0 No. 7 Assumption
PSAC Champions East Stroudsburg hosted Assumption in the first round of the NCAA Division II Tournament. The Warriors claimed the PSAC title the previous weekend after beating Kutztown 1-0 after 60 minutes. The Warriors were consistent this season earning an 18-2 overall record. Assumption missed their chance at the Northeast-10 crown after being eliminated by rival Saint Anselm in the semifinals. The Greyhounds also saw great success last year, posting a 16-4 record to that point and earning a berth into the tournament.

Celeste Veenstraa scored the eventual game-winning goal for the Warriors in the third quarter off a penalty corner that was taken by Karly Conway. Veenstra took a shot from the top of the circle and beat Assumption goalkeeper Kylie Gargiulo inside the right corner of the goal to make it 1-0.

ESU held a 14 to 7 advantage in shots in the contest against the Greyhounds, including a 9 to 4 margin in shots on goal. Goalkeeper Maddie Richie made four saves in net for the Warriors, including three in the fourth quarter. Gargiulo finished the contest with eight saves in net for Assumption..

ESU appeared in the semifinals of the NCAA Division II Field Hockey Championship each of the last three seasons. The Warriors matched their most wins in a single-season and will look to establish a program record.


NCAA Division III First Round games took place on November 13 narrowing the playing field to 16 teams. The Second Round kicked off on November 16 with multi-conference champions fighting for a chance to advance in the NCAA Tournament.

NOVEMBER 13, 2019


South Campus Field, Danville, Ky.

No. 12 Centre 1 - 2 No. 16 Lynchburg 
Undefeated Centre hosted Lynchburg in the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament. Centre took the Southern Athletic Association title as they beat Rhodes 2-1 for the automatic bid into the postseason tournament. Lynchburg also automatically qualified for the tournament by winning the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship over Shenandoah. The pair of southern teams met in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on three previous occasions. Centre took two of the three wins, including the two most recent. One team will move on to meet Rowan this weekend in Salisbury, Md.

Centre began the game with immediate pressure, and the Colonels fished out an early goal when Sarah Biggs put a rebounded shot into the cage in the sixth minute.

Lynchburg rebounded with a barrage of its own and earned their first penalty corner 9:24 into the contest. The Hornets capitalized as Emma Strouse's input found Alexis Brown, who executed a quick shove to Emily Dudley. She sent a hard shot past Centre's defense to even the score.

Centre held the advantage most of the remainder of the first half, but Lynchburg goalkeeper Laurel Nicks kept the Colonels off the board, accruing four of her seven saves before the break.

Lynchburg gained the advantage in the third, controlling possession, especially on the right side where defender Hayden Shockley and midfielder Kessa Romero controlled the ball. That control manifest in four penalty corners earned in the period, but Lynchburg didn't break through again until early in the fourth. In the 46th minute, the Hornets earned a quick penalty corner opportunity, and with the goalkeeper out in front of the cage, a Lynchburg shot hit the defender's foot, forcing a penalty stroke. Jackie Lerro calmly buried the stroke to give the Hornets the lead. While Centre took five shots to Lynchburg's two in the fourth quarter, the visitors held composure the rest of the way.

MacDowell Field, Babson Park, Mass.

No. 14 Babson 2 - 0 Saint Joseph's-ME
Babson hosted Saint Joseph’s-Maine in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Tournament. Babson claimed one of the at-large bids following their tough loss to MIT in the New England Women's & Men's Athletic Conference championship. The Beavers have been a part of the tournament in recent years with 2019 marking the fifth overall appearance for the program. Saint Joseph’s-Maine defeated Lasell 4-0 in the Great North Athletic Conference final to grab a spot in the tournament for the fourth year in a row.

Senior Tori Roche (Andover, Mass.) and sophomore Millie Brady (Far Hills, N.J.) both scored in the third quarter as 14th-ranked Babson College defeated visiting Saint Joseph's College, 2-0, in in NCAA Tournament first round match on Wednesday afternoon at MacDowell Field.

Sophomore Lauren Curley (Stow, Mass.) collected an assist and classmate Cassidy Riley (Catonsville, Md.) stopped two shots while recording her seventh shutout of the year for the Beavers.

Junior goalkeeper Alexandria Simpson (Pascoag, R.I.) finished with three saves for the Monks, who were blanked by Babson for the second time this season.

Following a scoreless opening half, Brady put the Green and White in front with her eighth goal of the season just 2:46 into the third quarter. She faked a shot after receiving a pass from junior Maddy Paro (Manchester, Conn.) and took a touch before blasting a shot past Simpson and inside the right post for a 1-0 advantage.

Roche doubled the Beavers' lead with 11 seconds left in the third quarter, settling a lofted pass from Curley at the top of the crease and tipping her shot inside the right post for her 20th marker of the season. Saint Joseph's best chance to cut into their deficit came with just over 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Riley denied the initial blast by sophomore Emma Rutledge (Alfred, Maine) and first-year Sophia Jacques' (Peru, Maine) rebound attempt rolled through the crease untouched before being cleared out of danger.

Babson had a pair of corners and attempted the only shots in the first half as first-year Brianne McGrath (Newmarket, Ontario) missed wide just over 11 minutes into the first quarter, while Brady forced Simpson to make a kick save following a corner 4:29 into the second.

The Beavers outshot the Monks 6-4 and finished the game with a 3-2 edge in penalty corners.

Robert T. Shields Field, Madison, N.J.

FDU-Florham 1 - 0 Marywood
Two more conference winners of FDU-Florham and Marywood rounded out the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament. The Devils beat DeSales to earn their second-straight Middle Atlantic Conference Freedom title and make their fourth appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Marywood took the Atlantic East Conference title after scraping by victories over Cabrini in overtime and Wesley in double overtime.

Marywood out-shot the host Devils 2-1 in the opening period of play. Things flipped in the second as FDU had a 7 to 0 advantage in shots, but Kerri Mountz had five first half saves to keep the Devils off the scoreboard.

FDU out-shot Marywood 9 to 0 in the third, but again were held scoreless by Mountz and the Pacers' defense.

Finally, the Devils broke through in the fourth. With 8:04 remaining, Haleigh Flukey tipped in a pass from Maggie Sohns for the game-winner. Marissa Mongioi had three defensive saves for Marywood, and Sara Sterchak added one.  Sydney Moskal had a defensive save for the Devils to keep Marywood from finding the tying goal late in the fourth after a penalty corner.

Anderson Field, Grantham, Pa.

No. 11 Messiah 9 - 0 Worcester State
Messiah hosted Worcester State as one team seeks to move on to the second round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Tournament. Messiah went undefeated in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth and sealed their fate on Saturday with the team’s 13th consecutive title to earn a spot in the tournament. Worcester State earned their first Little East Conference Championship by defeating long-running winner Keene State, 6-0.

In their 33rd appearance in the NCAA Tournament, the Falcons showed their experience right from the first whistle. Just a minute and 35 seconds into the contest, Kristen Musser sent a shot in that just missed the cage. Just over a minute later, Mackenze Brubaker ripped one down the center of the circle that was saved, setting up Hannah Palm perfectly. With the Lancers' goalkeeper on the ground from Brubaker's attempt, Palm collected the ball, turned toward the cage and sent one top shelf to give Messiah a 1-0 lead 2:49 into the contest.

In the 6th minute, the Lancers took their only shot of the half but Messiah goalkeeper Megan Bomba was there to make the save. The Falcons' Taylor Widerrecht sent a shot on frame in the 8th minute but her attempt was saved and played out of the circle. Then in the 11th minute, off a penalty corner, Ashlyn Smith sent a hard shot from the top of the circle that found Palm's stick just in front of the goal, making it 2-0 in favor of the Falcons. With 46 seconds remaining in the first period, Josie Weaver slotted the ball across the circle and found Palm. Palm struck the cage again, earning the hat trick while giving Messiah the 3-0 at the end of the first period. 

Coming out of the halftime break the Falcons were relentless. Messiah earned three penalty corners in the span of 16 seconds in the 33rd minute. After the third corner Musser sent a shot in in the 34th minute but her attempt was saved. Then just under a minute later, Palm tallied again to make it 4-0, earning her 17th goal of the season.

One minute and 20 seconds after Palm's tally, Messiah was knocking on the door again, recording three more penalty corners in a 13 second span. Jess Davis   sent a lofted shot on frame off a corner but it was swatted out of the air. In the 37th minute, Nicole Shank inserted another penalty corner and stayed close to the cage. The ball trickled to Shank's stick and she didn't hesitate as she swung to beat the goalkeeper, making it 5-0.

In the fourth period, it was Ashley Levesque and Makyala Malcolm leading the charge. In the 47th minute, Brubaker sent the ball into the circle and Levesque got a touch on it to give Messiah a 6-0 lead. In the 52nd minute, Malcom picked up a loose ball and sent it to the back of the cage. Just 35 seconds later it was Brubaker connecting with Levesque again, increasing the Falcons' lead to 8-0. 

The Lancers gained a bit of momentum in the 55th minute, striding down the field with numbers on their side. Worcester State worked their way into the circle and sent a hard shot in that pinged off the left post, missing the cage by inches. The Falcons collected the ball and cleared it away. 

In the closing seconds of the contest, Malcom  fired another one into the cage, earning her second goal of the game to give Messiah a 9-0 victory over the Lancers.

Weiss Field, Scranton, Pa.

Scranton 0 - 3 MIT
Landmark Conference champion Scranton hosted New England Women and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) winner MIT as part of the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Tournament. Scranton easily defeated Susquehanna last weekend 4-1 to claim the title and snag a spot in the national tournament. MIT outplayed Babson in overtime in the NEWMAC final with a score of 3-2. Scranton and MIT have never met, setting the stage for either team to win a toss-up affair.

MIT opened the scoring in the tenth minute when Paige Forester found the back of the goal off a quick shot on a penalty corner. Four minutes later MIT doubled their lead when Amanda Garofalo knocked in a bouncing ball at the near post and it trickled over the goal line.

In the 55th minute, the Engineers tacked on another when Forester had her back to the goal, spun and sent a shot to the far post.

Edwin Fauver Stadium Field, Rochester, N.Y.

Rochester 1 - 2 Denison
Rochester hosted Denison as one of the eight play-in games of the 2019 NCAA Division III Tournament. Rochester upset favorite No. 17 Vassar in the Liberty League Championship the previous weekend to claim the automatic bid into the first round. Denison also won their conference by beating Kenyon for the North Coast Athletic Conference title. Both teams have made appearances in the last few years, however it is the first time the two will meet in NCAA Tournament.

With sub-freezing temperatures following a 10-inch snowfall the night before, conditions were less than ideal but the Big Red came out of the gates red-hot. On Denison's first penalty corner attempt of the match, AC Veith fed Maya Tumiwa at the top of the circle. Tumiwa fired a rocket that drew nothing but the back of the goal, giving DU a 1-0 lead. 

Denison outshot Rochester 6 to 1 in the first quarter, but the Yellow Jackets responded with a strong second period, out-penalty cornering the Big Red 5 to 2. They nearly tied the match on a shot that drew iron but was swiftly cleared by the nation's stingiest defense.

In the final minute of the third quarter, the Big Red gave themselves some breathing room. It was another penalty corner situation and this time, Charlotte Happel passed to Veith who deflected it past Rochester goalkeeper Kate Kujawa for the second goal of the contest.

The Yellow Jackets cut the lead in half three minutes later when Maya Haigis scored off a penalty corner attempt after accepting a pass from Juney Lee. 

Over the final 12 minutes, Denison held firm, maintaining possession for a majority of the quarter. Things did get tense when Rochester drew two penalty corners in the final minute of play. The Big Red managed to stave off the final push from the home team to earn the program's first NCAA Tournament win since 2000 and the fifth tournament win, overall.

DU outshot Rochester 18 to 9 while holding a 9 to 8 advantage in corners.

Tylus Field, Lancaster, Pa.

No. 6 Franklin & Marshall 4 - 1 Hartwick
Franklin & Marshall hosted Hartwick in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Tournament. This marked the Diplomats’ 13th appearance in the tournament and their sixth-straight berth. Following a loss to Johns Hopkins in the Centennial Conference final, Franklin & Marshall was awarded an at-large bid into the first round. Hartwick won the Empire 8 title, taking a direct route into the tournament. It is the program’s eighth time playing in the NCAA Tournament, and the first since 2004. The two teams have not met since 1995 where Hartwick was victorious. The winner of this game will meet No. 1 TCNJ in the second round this weekend. 

Despite out-shooting Hartwick by an 8 to 0 margin, the Diplomats went scoreless in the first quarter. F&M was able to breakthrough in the 28th minute of play. Caitlin Morrissey found Lily Mynott on a through ball. The forward's shot was deflected by the Hawks' goalkeeper, finding the back of the cage to give the Diplomats a 1-0 lead.

Just over a minute later, F&M picked up another score off of a shot by Erin Coverdale. Mynott slid a pass through the Harwick defense that Coverdale hit to the left side of the cage, sending the Diplomats into the break with a 2-0 edge.

F&M came out firing in the third and made it a 3-0 game in the 32nd. Melissa Gula caused a turnover deep in the Hawks' defensive third and launched a shot on cage that was tipped in underneath by Lily Mynott for her 23rd of the season. 

The Hawks got one back early in the fourth quarter. Initiated by a penalty corner, Allyson Quirk accepted a Sydney Gagnon pass, blasting the ball to the center of the goal to cut the deficit to 3-1.

F&M was quick to respond. Coverdale took a cross from Darby Klopp on the right side, one-timing the ball into the right side of the cage in the 51st for the historic score. 

Anderson Field, Beverly, Mass.

Endicott 8 - 1 Wilson
Two automatic bid winners, Endicott and Wilson, met in Beverly, Mass., to play in the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament. Endicott won the Commonwealth Coast Conference title by holding off the University of New England for the win. The Gulls earned back-to-back opportunities to play in the tournament and host but have been eliminated in the second round play. Wilson won the Colonial States Athletic Conference as they defeated Keystone in the final by one goal. This is the first conference win and appearance for the Phoenix, so they will look to stay in contention for the title as long as possible.

Endicott scored twice in the first quarter through Addi Williams and Lauren Whitney. Williams then added another in the second frame to put the Gulls up 3-0.

Endicott then added four goals in the third quarter. Kristen McCarthy scored back-to-back goals, while Jaylin Grabau and Meaghan Hogan also secured tallies for Endicott.

Meanwhile, after Michaela Singer added a goal for Wilson, Natalie Anderson rounded out the Gulls' scoring in the fourth quarter with her first collegiate goal.

NOVEMBER 16, 2019


TCNJ Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex, Ewing, N.J.

No. 1 TCNJ 3 - 4 No. 6 Franklin & Marshall (OT)
The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) received a bye in the first round of the tournament and played Franklin & Marshall. The Lions punched their ticket to the NCAA Division IIII Tournament by defeating Rowan in the New Jersey Athletic Conference championship game.

TCNJ and Franklin & Marshall last played three years ago where the Diplomats came out on top 1-0. That was the only history meeting between these two sides, so expect this cross state border, top-10 match-up to be one to follow in Division III. Franklin & Marshall advanced to the NCAA Tournament second round after beating Hartwick 4-1, while senior Erin Coverdale broke the program's career record that stood since 1978.

TCNJ got on the board first in the 10th minute of action when Cayla Andrews knocked in a long pass from Camryn Ley to take a 1-0 lead for the hosting Lions.

F&M knotted the score back up, 1-1, early in the second quarter. Lily Mynott  drove down the left side of the field to score at the 18-minute mark.

In the 25th minute, the Diplomats took their first lead of the game when Erin Coverdale found the back of the cage off of a rebound to give F&M a 2-1 advantage heading into halftime.

Early in the third frame, the Lions tied the score again. Tori Tiefenthaler fielded a rebound off of F&M goalkeeper Christina Seery . It was a 2-2 contest after Tiefenthaler's 12th goal of the year in the 35th minute.

F&M soon caught a break when a TCNJ foul allowed Kat Horsley to take a penalty stroke just before the end of the third quarter. Horsley converted her third penalty stroke of the season, in the 45th minute, to take a 3-2 lead entering the final quarter of play.

TCNJ quickly tied the game back up in the fourth quarter.  Andrews scored off of a rebound to knot the score at three goals apiece with 12 minutes remaining in regulation. F&M was unable to get off a shot attempt before regulation ended and the game went to overtime, tied 3-3.

The Diplomats quickly gained possession in overtime. Nearly two minutes into the period, Mynott took a rip from the top of the circle that found the back of the cage. After 62 minutes of play, Mynott's 25th goal of the season gave F&M the 4-3 victory.

No. 17 SUNY Geneseo 2 - 3 MIT
After securing an automatic-qualifying bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament, the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Champion SUNY Geneseo received a first round bye and faced MIT in the second round. Geneseo defeated Cortland 4-3 in double-overtime to secure its first SUNYAC Championship since 2016.

The game opened fierce and fast. In the third minute, both Geneso and MIT tallied goals. Geneseo's was scored by Maggie Phipps and 50 seconds later Paige Forester deked a defender for the equalizer.

The game remained tied until the 27th minute when a long pass from Lucy Kitch-Peck was received by Forester who sent it in to the far post. MIT extended that lead in the 41st minute when Devon Goetz converted on a penalty stroke.

With six minutes remaining in the game, Geneseo tallied one back when Phipps connected on a pass from Julia Kim on a penalty corner. Despite a late push by No. 17 SUNY Geneseo, including a goal with just over six minutes remaining, the MIT field hockey team held on to defeat the Knights, 3-2, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Homewood Field, Baltimore, Md.

No. 5 Johns Hopkins 3 - 2 No. 11 Messiah
On the heels of winning their second straight Centennial Conference Championship, Johns Hopkins hosted the second and third rounds of the NCAA Division III Tournament at Homewood Field. The Blue Jays were making their second straight NCAA Tournament appearance and eighth overall. They advanced to the NCAA semifinals last season for the first time in program history and hosted a NCAA Tournament game for the first time since 2008 and just the fourth time overall. 
Johns Hopkins and Messiah played during the regular season, where the Blue Jays won 4-2.

Messiah struck first, scoring with 4:47 left in the first to take the early lead. Mackenzie Brubaker fired a shot from the top of the circle off a penalty corner that was saved by Kaitlin Hall. The ball rebounded out to Hannah Palm, who slotted it home.

Johns Hopkins answered just over 15 minutes later to tie the game at one. Sarah Matyas sent a long ball down the sideline to Bryn Rolon, who dribbled into the circle and drew the Messiah goalkeeper Megan Bomb out. She then passed to Maddie Brown-Scherer, who scored with her back to the goal.

The Falcons grabbed the lead back at the 6:19-mark of the third penalty corner. Jennie Young restarted the ball near the right sideline and slipped a pass through the defense to Palm. She one-timed the ball inside the left post to stake Messiah to a 2-1 lead.

The Blue Jays answered with a pair of goals in just 64 seconds to take their first lead of the game. Hopkins capitalized on one of its 12 penalty corners to tie the game with 2:14 to go in the third. Brown-Scherer received the attempt and then found Katie McErlean with a behind-the-back pass. McErlean fired a low shot into the left side of the cage to knot the score at two. Just a minute later, Abby Birk lobbed a long pass over the Falcon defense and into the circle. The ball bounced to Myra Granato, who took one touch to settle the pass, and then tucked the go-ahead goal just inside the left post.

No. 4 Tufts 3 - 0 Denison
Tufts earned their 11th berth into the NCAA Division III Tournament after receiving a first round bye. They traveled to host Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to take on Denison. 
The Jumbos received an at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament after finishing as the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) runner-up where they lost 3-2 in overtime at Middlebury College in the final.   

Denison defeated Rochester 2-1 in the NCAA Tournament first round to advance to face Tufts. These two teams have not met in the past five years but on the season Tufts has an overall record of 12-5 and Denison is 17-3.

After a back-and-forth first 14 minutes in the first quarter, it was Marguerite Salamone who put the Jumbos on the board with 56 seconds to go in the quarter. Following a Tufts corner, Beth Krikorian took a shot at the top of the circle that managed to get through traffic and eventually found Salamone for the redirection into the bottom left corner of the cage.

After a scoreless second quarter, the Jumbos led 1-0 at intermission. They had a 5 to 1 advantage in shots and penalty corners were tied 2 to 2 through 30 minutes. Tufts forced Denison goalkeeper Teya Adams to make four saves, including three in the second quarter.

Less than two minutes into the second half, Krikorian tallied to give Tufts a two-goal cushion. Off another Tufts penalty corner, Rachel Hamilton attempted a shot that was blocked. However, Krikorian scooped up the loose ball and managed to find the back of the cage.

Salamone added another goal for good measure ten minutes into the final quarter. Off a penalty corner where the ball was bobbled, Hamilton passed to Alexis Chauvette who fired a one-time shot that was blocked. Salamone was right in front of the cage though and was able to score her sixth goal of the season.

The Denison Big Red had some opportunities throughout this matchup, including a goal that was waived off. Denison also had back-to-back penalty corners in the fourth quarter that went unfulfilled. Tufts locked down defensively and controlled the game for a large majority of this contest.

Tufts tallied a total of 12 shots throughout the game, while Denison produced just three shots. The Jumbos earned six penalty corners to Denison's four.

Kohn Field, Middlebury, Vt.

No. 2 Middlebury 2 - 1 No. 14 Babson
Middlebury will made their 17th consecutive and 20th overall appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament when they hosted a regional at Kohn Field. Middlebury won their third-straight NESCAC Championship  and seventh overall.

In the NCAA Tournament first round, Babson blanked Saint Joseph's-Maine 2-0 to move on. Babson has won 14 of their last 15 games and improves to 19-4 overall and advances to the second round for the first time since 2016. The Beavers played Middlebury back in September where they fell 2-0. They made some adjustments which sparked a 13-game win streak before Babson lost in the NEWMAC final to MIT. This top-15 game will be one to keep an eye on in Division III.

Babson jumped out early, taking a 1-0 lead just 6:56 into the game. Maddy Paro intercepted a pass in front of the Panther goal and deposited a shot into the right side of the goal. That proved to be the only shot of the first quarter.

Middlebury tied the game with 5:25 remaining in the second quarter when Erin Nicholas scored. After a penalty corner, Nicholas created some space by cutting to the right, before scoring with a high shot to the far side.

The Panthers earned the eventual game winner with just eight seconds remaining before halftime. Marissa Baker centered a pass near the goal line on the right side, before Julia Richards knocked it into the back of the cage.

Middlebury had a chance to increase their lead with 7 minutes remaining, but a penalty stroke by Nicholas hit the left post.

The Panthers finished the game with an 8 to 1 shots advantage and a 3 to 1 edge in penalty corners.

No. 9 Kean 3 - 1 No. 20 Endicott
Kean earned an at-large bid and a first round bye into the NCAA Division III Tournament. The 18-3 Cougars fell in the semifinals of the NJAC tournament to the Profs of Rowan University, 4-2.

Endicott handled Wilson 8-1 to advance into the NCAA Tournament second round and face Kean.

Peyton Mann put Kean on the scoreboard first in the 27th minute as she dribbled in and made a quick pass to Bethany Garcia. Garcia made a quick pass back to her teammate for the 1-0 lead at halftime.

The second half saw the Cougars tally back-to-back goals from Rachel Mills for a 3-0 advantag. Kean increased their lead to 2-0 in the 33rd minute as a Melissa Way shot was tapped home by Mills. The senior collected her second goal of the afternoon as a Jenna Patrone shot bounced off the goalkeeper's pad directly to Mills who tapped home the close range shot with an open cage.

The Gulls edged the Cougars on shots (13-12) and penalty corners (8-7).

Sea Gull Stadium, Salisbury, Md.

No. 3 Salisbury 1 - 0 FDU-Florham
Salisbury qualified for their 26th consecutive and 32nd overall NCAA Division III Tournament and hosted the second and third rounds of the tournament. 
Salisbury notched an overall record of 18-1 and earned their 22nd Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) Championship after beating the Christopher Newport, 2-1 in the title game.

Salisbury will take on FDU-Florham, after the Devils beat Marywood 1-0 in the NCAA Tournament first round. 

Both teams were feeling each other out in the opening quarter. Salisbury able to tally two shots , one in the opening moments of the game By Meghan Jolikko and another as the quarter ended by Sarah Jackson.

Salisbury started to get a little bit of momentum in the early parts of the second quarter. The Sea Gulls put three shots goalward in the 19th minute of the game but FDU's Megan March stopped all three.

FDU-Florham earned back-to-back penalty corners in the 26th minute of the game and put two shots on goal. Both shots were saved by Dom Farrace.

In the 44th minute, Salisbury got a shot off on a penalty corner but a penalty stroke was called in the circle. McKenzie Mitchell stepped up on the spot for Salisbury and put away the stroke just past a diving goalkeeper  for the lone goal of the contest.

Salisbury's defense played well throughout as the Sea Gull backline limited FDU to only one second-half shot to earn the win and advance in the tournament.

No. 8 Rowan 0 - 1 No. 16 Lynchburg
Rowan received an at-large bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament and played the winner of the first round game between Centre and Lynchburg. This is Rowan's 20th appearance in the postseason tournament. 

Lynchburg upset higher-ranked Centre 2-1 to advance to the NCAA Tournament second round. Rowan and Lynchburg last met in September. The then ranked No. 2 Rowan suffered a 4-3 loss at the hands of Lynchburg, which was also their first lost of the season at that point. This will be sure to be a redemption match for the Owls.

Emily Dudley scored in at the 12:30 minute mark for the game's only goal and game winner for Lynchburg. Dudley reached the near post and squeezed a shot off, tripping over diving Profs goalkeeper Morgan Novak in the process. But the ball rolled past Novak and across the line just before the Rowan defense cleared it away.

Dudley led the Lynchburg attack with four shots on the day, but the story after the early Hornets goal was defense.Lynchburg's back line held the Profs to just three shots-on-goal in the game, and goalkeeper Laurel Nicks was a wall in front of the cage, saving them all.

The Hornets withstood six penalty corners from Rowan in the second half, battling windy conditions with gusts up to 40 mph against the Lynchburg attack.

NOVEMBER 17, 2019


TCNJ Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex, Ewing, N.J.

No. 6 Franklin & Marshall 5 - 1 MIT
Franklin & Marshall defeated top-ranked TCNJ in overtime to advance to the NCAA Division III Third Round. TCNJ got on the board first in the 10th minute but F&M knotted the score back even at 1-1, early in the second quarter. The Diplomats took their first lead of the game off a rebound to take the 2-1 advantage heading into halftime. Early in the third quarter, the Lions tied the score again. F&M soon caught a break when TCNJ fouled and a penalty stroke was issued and converted on. TCNJ quickly tied the game back up in the fourth quarter and F&M was unable to get a shot off before regulation ended. 
It was all the Diplomats in overtime when Lily Mynott's goal in the 62nd minute hit the back of the goal giving F&M the 4-3 win.

MIT earned their spot in the Third Round after surviving a late push by SUNY Geneseo. The 3rd minute of play deemed exciting as Geneseo and MIT shared back-to-back goals in the same minute. Just before halftime, the Beavers took the lead through Paige Forester. In the 41st minute MIT was awarded a penalty stroke and Devon Goetz converted to extend the lead to 3-1. Despite a lack push by Geneseo, including a goal with just 6 minutes remaining, MIT held on for the 3-2 win.

F&M got things started early, as Darby Klopp raced down the right flank off a restart and slid a pass to Erin Coverdale in the middle of the circle. Coverdale collected and flipped it past the goalkeeper for a 1-0 lead just 3:13 into the game.

The Diplomats added another less than three minutes later, as Coverdale forced an MIT turnover in their own circle and fed a wide-open Lily Mynott at the near post. Mynott capitalized and put F&M up 2-0 at the 6:01 mark.

Mynott struck again in the second period, picking the pocket of an MIT defender and outracing two Engineers into the circle. The forward wristed her attempt inside the near post for a 3-0 advantage with 7:52 remaining in the half.

F&M tacked on a fourth in the third quarter, as a close-range shot from Coverdale rebounded right to the stick of Melissa Gula. Gula cracked her attempt into the left side of the netting for a 4-0 lead with 10:02 left in the third.

The final Diplomats tally started off a steal by Melissa Roper near midfield, who fed Mynott on the other side of the half. Mynott ran past one Engineer, deked another outside the circle, then laced a shot that took a deflection off the goalkeeper and into the net.

MIT added its lone goal on a penalty stroke with 7:48 remaining in the contest.

The Diplomats held the edge in shots 17 to 4 (11 to 2 on goal) and penalty corners at 9 to 6.

Homewood Field, Baltimore, Md.

No. 5 Johns Hopkins 2 - 1 No. 4 Tufts (OT)
Johns Hopkins rallied twice to beat Messiah 3-2 in the NCAA Division III Second Round yesterday. Messiah struck first off a penalty corner rebound but Hopkins answered just over 15 minutes later to tie the game at 1-1. The Falcons grabbed the lead back in the third quarter off a one-time shot went inside the left post.. The Blue Jays again answered with a pair of goals in just 64 seconds to take their first lead of the game and secure the 3-2 win. 
Hopkins moves onto the NCAA Third Round for the second straight year and third time in school history.

After a back-and-forth first 14 minutes in the first quarter, Tufts got on the board with 56 seconds to go in the quarter. After a scoreless second quarter, the Jumbos led 1-0 at halftime. Less than two minutes into the second half, Tufts scored to earn a two-goal cushion. The Jumbos added another for good measure ten minutes into the final quarter off a penalty corner. Denison had some opportunities throughout the match, including a goal that was waived off, and back-to-back penalty corners in the fourth quarter that went unfulfilled. Tufts locked down defensively and controlled the game for a large majority of this contest for the 3-0 win.

The first and only time Johns Hopkins and Tufts met was exactly one year ago in the NCAA Semifinals where the Jumbos took the game 3-1 and earned their berth to the national championship game. Tufts will be looking to go to their second straight Final Four, third in the last three years and sixth overall.

After a scoreless first half in which the teams combined for just six shots, it was Hopkins that struck first. The Blue Jays earned a penalty corner, their fifth of the game, and capitalized to go up 1-0 with 12:20 to play in the third quarter. Sarah Matyas dropped a pass to Maddie Brown-Scherer, who then centered the ball to Katie McErlean. She one-timed the pass into the left-side of the cage for her team-leading 14th goal of the season.

Tufts answered back midway through the fourth quarter, as the Jumbos capitalized on their third and final penalty corner of the game. Marguerite Salamone inserted the attempt to Sophie Schoeni, who then passed to Beth Krikorian on her left. Krikorian took the pass and fired a low, hard shot from the near side and into the back of the cage with 6:31 left in regulation.

The Blue Jays needed less than a minute of overtime to end the game and punch their ticket back to the national semifinals. McErlean received Abby Birk's penalty corner and passed to Brown-Scherer, who's shot from the far side somehow slipped through two defenders and the Jumbos goalkeeper. The ball looked like it would just skip wide, but Izzy Thompsoncame sliding in and knocked the ball into the cage for the win.

Kohn Field, Middlebury, Vt.

No. 2 Middlebury 4 - 1 No. 9 Kean
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Division III Third Round with a 2-1 win over Babson. The win was the 400th of her career for Middlebury Head Coach Katharine DeLorenzo. Babson jumped out early, taking a 1-0 lead just 6 minutes into the game. Middlebury tied the game with 5 minutes remaining in the second quarter after a penalty corner. The Panthers earned the eventual game winner with just eight seconds remaining before halftime. The win extends Middlebury's home winning streak to 35 games and NCAA Tournament winning streak to nine contests.

Kean notched two second half goals to beat Endicott 3-1 and advanced to the NCAA Third Round with a 3-1. The Cougars got on the scoreboard first just before halftime. The second half saw Kean tally back-to-back goals to claim a 3-0 lead in the 50th minute. Endicott added on back but it wasn't enough as Kean took the win.

Middlebury took just 41 seconds to get on the board as Katie George scored her team-leading 12th goal of the season, putting home a rebound after a shot from Julia Richards had been saved. Meg Fearery put the hosts up 2-0 with her fourth goal of the year, this one coming on a penalty corner. After a shot from Emma Johns was saved, Fearey tucked home the rebound on the near post. The lead grew to 3-0 8:59 into the game when Marissa Baker scored from just inside the top of the circle with a high shot after a feed from Richards.Kean had a pair of penalty corners with 5 minutes left in the period, but the Panther defense snuffed out the opportunities.

The Cougars' best chance to score in the opening half came 2 minutes into the second quarter, but Melissa Way's breakaway attempt was thwarted by Panther goalkeeper Grace Harlan.

George nearly increased the Middlebury lead early in the third quarter, but her shot hit the right post. On the ensuing penalty corner, Johns made it a 4-0, after a great series of passes resulting in an assist for Fearey. The goal at the 34:20 mark was the sixth of the season for Johns.

Kean got on the board 4:21 later when Ja'Carra Jackson converted an aerial pass from Peyton Mann into the right side of the cage.

Neither team scored in the fourth quarter as the Panthers came away with the win. Middlebury held a 17 to 4 shots advantage in the game and a 5 to 3 edge in penalty corners.

Sea Gull Stadium, Salisbury, Md.

No. 3 Salisbury 2 - 0 No. 16 Lynchburg
Salisbury registered their 13th shutout of the season after taking down FDU-Florham, 1-0, to make it to the NCAA Division III Third Round. After a few shots in the first half, it took until the 44th minute of the game for the first and only goal to be tallied in this contest. Off a penalty corner, a shot went toward FDU goalkeeper but a penalty stroke was called. Mckenzie Mitchell stepped up and converted for the lone goal of the contest. Salisbury out shot FDU 15-4 and held the advantage in penalty corners 7-4.

Lynchburg's defense played tough to secure a 1-0 win over Rowan in the Second Round and advance to the Third Round for the first time since 2012. The Hornets scored in the 13th minute through Emily Dudley who beat three defenders to tally the mark and game winner. She led the attack with four shots on the day but the story of the match was the Hornets' defense. Lynchburg's back line held the Profs to just three shots-on-goal in the game, and junior goalkeeper Laurel Nicks was a wall in front of the cage, saving them all. The Hornets withstood six penalty corners from Rowan in the second half, battling windy conditions with gusts up to 40 mph against the Lynchburg attack in the second half. The win was Lynchburg's 15th straight, powered by a defense that hasn't allowed more than one goal in its 14 games since this year's previous win over Rowan. Lynchburg has posted shutouts in three of the past four contests.

This game was the ninth meeting between Lynchburg and Salisbury. The Sea Gulls won five of the previous eight - including the last three bouts - but Lynchburg took the only meeting between the two in the NCAA Tournament, advancing in penalty strokes in a second-round game of the 2001 championship.

Salisbury had a couple of chances in the 11th minute off of a penalty corner. Lynchburg's Laurel Nicks made several diving stops in front of the cage to keep Salisbury off the board.


Salisbury kept the pressure up in the second quarter as the defense held Lynchburg out of their side of the field.

  • The Sea Gulls earned a late penalty corner right before the halftime horn but Nicks was able to get a stick on the Camryn Dennis shot from the top of the arc as the horn sounded to keep the game scoreless.
  • The scoreless tie didn't last long in the second half. A minute into the third quarter, Salisbury earned a penalty corner. Arielle Johnson played it short to Jenna Partilla on the far side of the circle. Partilla passed it back to Johnston as her low shot toward the cage got through the Lynchburg defense and off the backboard for the first goal of the game.
  • Salisbury looked to double their lead in the latter part of the third but Nicks made several stops to keep Lynchburg in the game. In the 51st minute, Salisbury got the insurance that they were looking for as Partilla too her own rebound from just in front of the end line. She passed it over to McKenzie Mitchell in front of the cage. Mitchell gave the ball back to Partilla on the far side of the cage and shot it past a diving Nicks to give Salisbury a 2-0 lead.

East Stroudsburg received the No. 2 seed while Shippensburg received the No. 3 seed in the Atlantic Region side of the bracket. This is the third meeting of the season between East Stroudsburg and Shippensburg. East Stroudsburg won the first two meetings this season. The winner of this first round game will play No.1 seed Millersville (17-4) in the NCAA semifinals on Friday, November 18th. 
After capturing its first NEWMAC Championship, Babson (19-2) was selected to host the Second and Third Rounds of the NCAA Division III Championship. Babson captured the NEWMAC title with a 1-0 win over MIT last weekend. Babson received an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament and a first-round bye game. This will be Babson’s third NCAA tournament appearance. Babson will take on St. John Fisher on Saturday, November 12 at 11:00 a.m. EST. St. John Fisher (19-2) claimed a spot in the Sweet 16 after they defeated Rhodes in double overtime 2-1 last Wednesday. This victory was the first time in program history that St. John Fisher has won an NCAA contest. The other contest being played at Babson will take place at 2 p.m. and is between TCNJ (16-3) and Franklin & Marshall (15-4). The top ranked TCNJ earned an automatic bid and a first-round bye in the NCAA Tournament after winning the New Jersey Athletic Conference Championship last weekend. TCNJ has 11 NCAA national titles in program history with their most recent coming in 2011 and 2014. Franklin & Marshall beat King’s (Pa.) 2-1 this past Wednesday to advance to the Sweet 16 in the DIII NCAA Tournament. This is Franklin & Marshall’s third consecutive trip to the Sweet 16.