COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - November 6, 2020 - USA Field Hockey's Coach Education and Learning Team is pleased to announce the development of a Level 1 Online Coaching Course to make learning more accessible and support coaches in their professional development journey. The game of field hockey has changed significantly over the past decade. Continual innovations have sped it up, inspiring new tactics, techniques and rules to accommodate the faster play. Whether you coach on grass, field turf, water or sand-based turf, teaching field hockey skills properly in a fun and engaging way will enable you and your team to develop and succeed.
Historically, USA Field Hockey’s Coach Education and Learning Program has been done primarily on the field. The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and improvements in technology have demonstrated that online courses can be interactive and engaging, increasing the accessibility and reach to coaches across the United States. This course, combined with an on-field component, provide the basis for coach development and will serve as the cornerstone for development and growth. USA Field Hockey hopes new and experienced coaches of all levels – club, youth, middle and high school, and college coaches – will benefit and learn from this updated Level 1 Online Coaching Course.
“The new Level 1 Online Coaching Course continues to provide coaches with an understanding of the “how to coach” skills via the online component”, commented Director of Coach Education & Learning, Craig Parnham. “Coaches can move through the course at their own pace of learning. The in-person, practical session can now maximize the time on the field developing the coach’s delivery skills.”
The first section introduces the USA Field Hockey American Development Model (ADM) and “The USA Way”. “The USA Way” is the framework that guides how to think about the game of field hockey and provides a vision and a common language and basic philosophy to use across the country. It is designed to provide guidance for individuals to become the best that they can possibly be, with the goal of establishing consistency in philosophy, messaging and delivery using best principles of play and coaching.
The Level 1 Online Coaching Course covers a wide range of topics including:
- Why You Coach - where coaches learn and explore their own coaching philosophy
- How to Coach - teaching learners how to create a safe and effective training environment, as well as Teaching Games for Understanding (TGfU) and the importance of using questioning in ones coaching practice to heighten learner engagement
- What to Coach - covers principles that align firmly with the USA Field Hockey ADM Pathway, teaching core skills and the attack and defense principles necessary to succeed
The Level 1 Program now consists of two parts, an online course and an in-person four-hour Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic (separate registration process).
Level 1 Requirements: The Level 1 Online Coaching Course and Instructional Coaching Clinic Program is specifically designed for individuals that already possess a basic knowledge and understanding of the game of field hockey.
- All registrants must first complete Part 1: Level 1 Online CoachingCourse, then complete Part 2: Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic in order to receive a full Level 1 Certification.
- In order for a Level 1 Certification to remain active and to take advantage of special USA Field Hockey Member pricing, all must be registered as a current and active Coach Member of USA Field Hockey.
- To get the most out of the Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic, USA Field Hockey requires that all registrants bring completed tasks from the Level 1 Online Coaching Course to the in-person Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic for self-reflection and review.
- Once registered, an automated email will be received with the link to access the Level 1 Online Coaching Course.
*Payment will be separate for Part 1 and 2 of the Level 1 Certification. USA Field Hockey will evaluate this process once things get back to normal.
The Level 1 Online Coaching Course and Instructional Coaching Clinic Program is specifically designed for individuals that already possess a basic knowledge and understanding of the game of field hockey. Individuals who are brand new to the sport are welcome to attend but may find it difficult as the course covers a broad range of topics in a short period of time. USA Field Hockey’s Coach Education and Learning Program recommends if an individual is just starting his/her coaching journey to take the Discover Field Hockey Foundations Course, which is currently being developed.
- USA Field Hockey Member: $50.00
- Non-USA Field Hockey Member: $85.00
Upon completion of the Level 1 Online Coaching Course, all participants will receive a certificate showing that they’ve completed the course. For the health and safety of all involved, USA Field Hockey's Coach Education and Learning Program will likely resume the scheduling of in-person clinics in the spring of 2021 or sooner.
Check the USA Field Hockey Coaching Clinics webpage for a list of upcoming Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinics. If you would like to attend a Level 1 Instructional Coaching Clinic but do not see one listed in your area, please contact email@example.com, and if there is enough interest, USA Field Hockey can help set one up in your community.