COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - July 14, 2020 - USA Field Hockey is offering an online Beginner and Junior Umpire Clinic that will start Monday, July 27, and run for three consecutive weeks on Monday and Wednesday evenings.
With a number of schools and institutions having their seasons shortened or put on hold, now is a great time to add the aspect of umpiring to your participation in field hockey. Umpiring offers you the ability to stay in the game, make new friends and earn some money in the process. All states, leagues and organizations are looking for newer, younger and educated umpires to help them during the upcoming seasons. This is also the first step in obtaining a proper rating and certification to umpire around the country.
Each session of the online Beginner and Junior Umpire Clinic will take place on Monday and Wednesday evenings and run from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET (5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. PT) and last 45 minutes to an hour. All sessions will be presented using the Microsoft Teams platform.
The cost of the online Beginner and Junior Umpire Clinic is $25 for USA Field Hockey Members and $50 for non-USA Field Hockey Members. Registration is now open and will close on Sunday, July 26 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
This online clinic is designed for the beginner umpire, those who are looking to umpire at the middle and high school hockey levels, junior field hockey in recreational leagues this fall and those who have less than 5 years’ experience in umpiring. This clinic is also a great start for players who are thinking of getting into umpiring and expanding their knowledge of the game.
Topics to be covered by USA Field Hockey's Director of Umpiring Steve Horgan include:
- Monday, July 27 - Presentation...Whistling, Signals, Confidence
- Wednesday, July 29 - Positioning...When and where to be to make the best decision
- Monday, August 3 - Cooperation...Working as a team to cover the field to get the calls right
- Wednesday, August 5 - Management...Dealing with players, coaches and parents
- Monday, August 10 - Rules Applications...Obstruction, Stick interference, Aerial Balls, Free Hits
- Wednesday, August 12 - Keeping It Safe...Managing physical play and dangerous situations
For questions, please contact Steve Horgan at email@example.com.