USA Field Hockey NEWS Turf Heats up on Day...

Turf Heats up on Day Two of Womens National Championship Play

June 17, 2014, 4:05 p.m. (ET)

The Turf Heats up on Day Two of Women’s National Championship Play

LANCASTER, Pa. – June 17, 2014 – After a high-scoring day one of competition at the 2014 Women’s National Championship, athletes took to the pitch for their second chance to strut their stuff and show off the years’ worth of hard work and dedication.

Red and White were the first teams onto the turf this morning, with both teams looking for their first win of the event. With even play for much of the first half, Erin McCoy (Lititz, Pa.) put White on the board first in the 23rd minute. The score remained 1-0 until the 56 minute mark when Kelcie Hromisin (Larksville, Pa.) added a tally for White. Red generated a strong offensive attack and a goal by Nikki Parsley (Milford, Del.) in the 68th minute, but were unable to even the score before the final whistle. White took home the three points with a 2-1 victory.

U21 and Blue, who had six goals a-piece in yesterday’s victories, were both looking to add three more points to their standings in the second match of the day. Both teams came out strong, but were unable to capitalize on scoring opportunities, yielding a scoreless first half. The U21 squad hit the backboard first with a goal by Alyssa Parker (Woodbine, Md.) in the 39th minute. After a flurry of hard fouls and green cards, Kate Ferrara (Spring City, Pa.) answered back for Blue by netting a penalty corner at the 58 minute mark. With neither table to gain the go-ahead goal, the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Freedom and Courage took to the pitch next, with Freedom ahead of the leaderboard after an eight-goal match yesterday. After back and forth play for much of the first half, Emily McCoy’s (Lititz, Pa.) goal off of a penalty corner for Freedom in the 18th minute remained the lone goal of the first half. The match remained 1-0 until Freedom’s Allison Evans (Macungie, Pa.) netted a score. A final goal in the 64th minute by Alexis Ahern (Getzville, N.Y.) gave Freedom the 3-0 victory. The second half of the match proved to be a physical one with two green cards handed out to both teams.

Finally, the Patriots faced off against the Eagles. The Eagles got on the board early thanks to a goal by Shannon Scavelli (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) at the three minute mark. Just four minutes later, Amanda Magadan (Randolph, N.J.) struck again for the Eagles. The score of 2-0 stood through half-time. In the 41st minute, Aileen Johnson (Oceanport, N.J.) notched the Eagles final goal. The Patriots were unable to fight through the tough Eagle defense and the match ended 3-0 in favor of the Eagles.