FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 8, 2020
Amended Selection Procedures for 2022 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Mixed Doubles Curling
(STEVENS POINT, Wis.) -- With approval from the USOPC, USA Curling is pleased to share the updated athlete selection procedures for the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Mixed Doubles Curling. Due to the cancellation of events that were to serve as qualifiers, the original selection procedures, released January 29, 2019, have been amended.
The 2022 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Mixed Doubles Curling are now scheduled to take place in October 2021, an update from the originally scheduled timeframe of late February/March 2021. The exact date and location are to be determined but will be posted at least 60 days in advance.
Teams will now qualify for the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Mixed Doubles Curling as follows:
- By placing top three (3) at the 2020 U.S. Mixed Doubles National Championships – 3 teams
- By being one of the top four (4) teams at the 2021 U.S. Mixed Doubles National Championships not already qualified – 4 teams
- Three (3) teams will qualify through a Trials Qualifying Series. This series will consist of two (2) events that will be held between August and September of 2021 – 3 teams
- Teams can qualify for the Trials Qualifying Series if they’ve registered to compete in the 2021 National Championships. Teams who have already qualified may not participate in the Trials Qualifying Series.
- Exact dates and locations for the Trials Qualifying Series are to be determined and will be posted at least 60 days in advance.
- The winner of each of the Series events will advance to the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Curling, as well as the team that earns the most WCF World Team Ranking points combined in the two Series events.
- If any Trials berths are unfilled for any reason, then the remaining berths will be filled by the team that earns the next highest WCF World Team Ranking points.
Based the qualification of the top three teams at the 2020 U.S. Mixed Doubles National Championships, three teams have qualified for the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Mixed Doubles Curling. Those teams include:
- Dropkin/Anderson (Korey Dropkin and Sarah Anderson)
- Christensen/Shuster (Cory Christensen and John Shuster)
- Polo/Peterson (Joe Polo and Tabitha Peterson)
To download the entire document of the Athlete Selection Procedures, click here.
Photo by Rich Harmer