Every 10 years, the Royal Caledonian Curling Club (RCCC) invites a team of 20 U.S. male curlers to compete in Scotland for the Herries Maxwell Trophy, at many Scottish curling facilities, over a 21-day period.
The USCA reciprocates by hosting Scotland in alternate five-year periods. The Tour is characterized both by serious competition and important and collegial social and ambassadorial duties between the two countries. The U.S. most recently has won the competition in 2012 (in Scotland) and 2017 (in the U.S.).
Selection to the 2022 USCA Scotland Tour Team will be made through an online application and an online nomination certified by USCA member clubs. The Selection Committee includes five leaders of the 2012 Tour: Mark Swandby (chair), Russ Brown, Bob Chandler, David Carlson, and James Pleasants. The committee will review nominations, with the goal of selecting a Team by the end of January 2021.
Criteria for selection to the team include:
- Service to curling; ambassadorial skills to represent the U.S. abroad
- Health and endurance to curl in over 30 games in 21 days, plus participate in daily social events
- Competency as a curler, with willingness to accept team and position assignments
- Male USCA member.
The Tour is currently scheduled for arrival in Scotland on Friday, January 7, 2022 and departure from Scotland on Monday, January 31, 2022.
Team members are responsible for funding their expenses for the three-week tour, including air and local travel, lodging, uniforms, and incidentals (many meals are usually provided by the hosts). Based on past tours, a team member’s commitment is 23 days of time and about $7,500 in expense.
The online application will be available beginning October 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. To apply:
- Complete the application by clicking here.
- Copy the link for the nomination form (from within the application) and send it in an email to your certifying curling club officer to fill out and submit.
- Submit the application by clicking the “Submit” button in the application form.
Should you have any questions, please contact one of the selection committee members:
- Mark Swandby, firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 698-1647
- Russ Brown, email@example.com or (847) 345-5463
- David Carlson, firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 347-3002
- Bob Chandler, email@example.com or (978) 460-7478
- James Pleasants, firstname.lastname@example.org or (425) 894-1269