FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 8, 2018
2018 World Mixed Championship begins Saturday in British Columbia
(STEVENS POINT, Wis.) – Thirty-five countries are set to compete at the 2018 Winn Rentals World Mixed Curling Championship when play begins this weekend in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
Team USA’s Evan Workin rink is hoping to bring home the first World Mixed medal for the U.S. at this year’s event taking place at the Kelowna Curling Club.
Workin (Fargo, N.D.) and his team of Rachel Workin (Fargo, N.D.), Jordan Brown (Elk River, Minn.), and Christina Lammers (Fargo, N.D.) will compete along with 34 other countries. Teams will be split into four pools for preliminary round robin competition. The American team is coached by Sandra McMakin (Lakeville, Minn.).
The U.S. team will hit the ice on Friday for practice with their first round robin game schedule at 12 p.m. PST on Saturday against Finland’s Markus Sipila rink.
This is the fourth time the World Mixed Championship will be contested. Scotland is the reigning champion after winning the title last year in Switzerland. The U.S is yet to medal at this world championship with the top finish coming in 2015 in the inaugural year of the event when the Americans finished fifth.
The Workin rink will be making its first world championship appearance after winning the mixed national title earlier this year.
Here is a look at Team USA’s round robin competition schedule (all times local, PST):
- Saturday: USA vs. Finland (Markus Sipila), 12 p.m.
- Saturday: USA vs. Netherlands (Thomas Levi Kooi), 8 p.m.
- Sunday: USA vs. Australia (Matt Panoussi), 12 p.m.
- Monday: USA vs. Russia (Alexander Eremin), 12 p.m.
- Tuesday: USA vs. Denmark (Mads Norgaard), 8 a.m.
- Tuesday: USA vs. Ireland (James Russell), 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: USA vs. Brazil (Anne Shibuya), 4 p.m.
- Thursday: USA vs. Switzerland (Mario Freiberger), 8 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 19: 2 p.m., qualification games; 8 p.m., quarterfinals
- Saturday, Oct. 20: 10 a.m., semifinals; 3 p.m., medal games
USA Curling is sponsored by AtomOS, Nike, Brooms Up Curling Supplies, Carhartt, CryoMAX 8-Hour Cold Pack, Sitrin, The RAM Restaurant & Brewery, Thorne, BalancePlus, ISS (Ice, Sports & Solar), and Twin Cities Orthopedics, and is partnered with Carhartt, Brakebush, Laurie Artiss Ltd. – The Pin People, United Airlines, 12th End Sports Network, IHG, and CurlingZone.
For more information: Terry Davis, Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-338-9900 (mobile).