FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dec. 26, 2018
Field set for 2019 Mixed Doubles National Championship
(STEVENS POINT, Wis.) – The field is now set for the 2019 USA Curling Mixed Doubles National Championship after the conclusion of the Mixed Doubles Challenge Round in Grand Forks, N.D.
The final berth was secured by Denver Curling Club’s duo of Clare Moores (Denver) and Lance Wheeler (Wheat Ridge, Colo.) after they defeated Fargo’s Ann Podoll and Nathan Parry, 8-7, in the C bracket final on Sunday morning at the Grand Forks Curling Club. Podoll and Parry scored two in the final end of regulation to force an extra end where Moores and Wheeler were able to obtain the winning point to qualify for the national event.
Earlier berths from the event were secured by Maureen Stolt and Pete Stolt (both of Plymouth, Minn.) and the duo of Taylor Anderson (Minneapolis, Minn.) and Derrick McLean (Bothell, Wash.).
The 12-team Mixed Doubles National Championship will take place Feb. 27-March 3 at the Granite Curling Club in Seattle. The other nine berths were awarded earlier this season based on World Curling Tour event title wins and rankings. Here is a look at the competing field:
Teams qualified to the 2019 Mixed Doubles National Championship include:
- Sarah Anderson (Minneapolis, Minn.) and Korey Dropkin (Duluth, Minn.), 2018 & 2015 national champions
- Becca Hamilton and Matt Hamilton (both of McFarland, Wis.), 2017 national champions, 2018 Olympic Mixed Doubles Trials champions, 2018 Olympic mixed doubles team
- Monica Walker (St. Paul, Minn.) and Alex Leichter (Boston)
- Vicky Persinger (Fairbanks, Alaska) and Chris Plys (Duluth, Minn.)
- Em Good and Mac Guy (both of Seattle)
- Jamie Sinclair (Manotick, Ontario) and Sean Beighton (Seattle)
- Tabitha Peterson (Eagan, Minn.) and Joe Polo (Duluth, Minn.), 2016 national champions & 2016 world bronze medalists
- Cory Christensen (Duluth, Minn.) and John Shuster (Superior, Wis.)
- Nina Roth (McFarland, Wis.) and Kroy Nernberger (Madison, Wis.)
- Maureen Stolt and Pete Stolt (both of Plymouth, Minn.), 2013 national champions
- Taylor Anderson (Minneapolis, Minn.) and Derrick McLean (Seattle)
- Clare Moores (Denver) and Lance Wheeler (Wheat Ridge, Colo.)
To learn more about the Mixed Doubles National Championship, go to https://go.teamusa.org/2QjCNrA.
USA Curling is sponsored by AtomOS, Nike, Brooms Up Curling Supplies, Carhartt, CryoMAX 8-Hour Cold Pack, Sitrin, The RAM Restaurant & Brewery, Thorne, ISS (Ice, Sports & Solar), and Twin Cities Orthopedics, and is partnered with Carhartt, Brakebush, Laurie Artiss Ltd. – The Pin People, United Airlines, 12th End Sports Network, IHG, and CurlingZone.
For more information: Terry Davis, Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-338-9900 (mobile).