Short Track World Championships:
Day two of the Short Track World Championships continued today in Montreal, Canada with J.R. Celski bringing home silver in the 500m for Team USA. Celski skated strong and strategic through the preliminaries, heats and quarterfinals to make it to the semifinal race. In a dramatic photo-finish end to the semifinal race, Celski advanced to the finals where he finished in second place. Dajing Wu (CHN) joined Celski on the podium in first place with Charles Hamlin (CAN) in third.
On the women’s side, Jessica Smith skated strong and fast as she advanced through the preliminaries and heats to the quarterfinal round where she placed 4th. In her heat race, Smith skated a time of 43.285 and set a new U.S. record in the 500m distance.
- Chris Creveling skated the 500m and advanced to the quarterfinals where he placed fourth in his heat
- Emily Scott skated in the preliminary round where she finished third in her heat
- The Mens Relay Team placed third in the semifinal race
- Racing begins again tomorrow @ 1:20 pm EST on Ice Network
Long Track World Cup Final:
It was another great day of racing for Team USA at the Long Track World Cup Final in Heerenveen, Netherlands. Heather Richardson earned a spot on the podium in the 500m #1 by skating a time of 37.79 and placing second. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) placed first with 37.67 and Nao Kodaira (JPN) earned third with 37.95.
In the Mens 1500m, Shani Davis skated a fifth place finish with a time of 1:46.02. This fifth place finish helped him earn third place overall in the 1500m for 2013-14 World Cup season.
In the Mens Team Pursuit, Team USA placed fourth this morning with a time of 3:56.54. With the fourth place finish, the team was able to secure a second place overall placing in the 2013-14 World Cup season.
- Brian Hansen placed seventh in the 1500m with 1:46.11
- Hansen placed fifth overall in the 1500m for the 2013-14 World Cup Season
- Brittany Bowe placed 10th in the 500m #1 with a time of 38.59
- Mitch Whitmore placed 11th in the 500m #1 with 35.22
- Tucker Fredricks placed 13th in the 500m #1 with 35.28
- Racing begins tomorrow @ 8:30am EST on Ice Network