Long Track World Cup #5:
Shani Davis and Heather Richardson both took home gold medals at the Long Track World Cup in Inzell, Germany this morning. Richardson skated first in the 500m #2 distance where she skated to the top spot with a time of 37.70. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) placed second with 37.84 and Jenny Wolf (GER) placed third with 37.89. This is Richardson’s second gold medal in two days.
In the last pair to skate the 1000m, Davis skated to gold with a time of 1:08.70 outracing Stefan Groothuis (NED) and joining teammate Brian Hansen on the podium. Groothuis placed second with 1:08.80 and Hansen placed third and winning bronze with 1:08.90. This is Team USA’s first double-podium of the weekend.
- Tucker Fredricks placed 8th in the 500m #1 with 35.27
- Joey Mantia placed 11th in the 1000m with 1:09.91
- Mitch Whitmore placed 14th in the 1000m with 1:10.23
- Jonathan Garcia placed 17th in the 1000m with 1:10.67
- Sugar Todd placed 15th in the 500m #2 with 38.95
- Kelly Gunther placed 20th in the 500m #2 with 39.87
- Maria Lamb placed 12th in the 3000m Division B with 4:16.51
- Anna Ringsred placed 13th in the 3000m Division B with 4:17.23
- Whitmore had an unfortunate fall in his 500m #1 race, but finished the race with 1:34.68
- Pat Meek placed 5th in the Mens Mass Start with 10:11.74
- Hansen placed 6th in the Mens Mass Start with 10:18.49
Lehman Captures Another Bronze at Junior World Championships:
Emery Lehman found his way to the podium for the second day in a row at the Long Track Junior World Championships this morning. Coming off a bronze medal in the 3000m yesterday, Lehman earned another bronze today in the 5000m skating a time of 6:43.97. Nils can der Poel (SWE) earned gold with 6:41.29 and Patrick Roest (NED) took silver with 6:43.88.
3 – Emery Lehman // 6:43.97
16 – Steven Hartman // 7:07.12
18 – Jerica Tandiman // 1:24.02
36 – Clare Jeong // 1:26.78
500m #2 Men
10 – Andrew Astalos // 37.30
17 – Kyle Ronchak // 37.66
9 – Emery Lehman // 1:53.65
15 – Steven Hartman // 1:55.01
33 – Kyle Ronchak // 1:59.70
25 – Clare Jeong // 4:40.05
29 – Darian O’Neil // 4:43.65
Team USA continues to advance at the Short Track Junior World Championships:
It was a strong day for the short track junior’s as Thomas Insuk Hong advanced all the way through the preliminaries, heats, quarterfinals and semifinals into the finals of the 500m. He had an unfortunate fall in the first lap of the final but got up and finished the race in 4th place. John-Henry Krueger and Aaron Tran found success in the distance as well, by making it through to the semifinals and finishing 4th and 3rd, respectively, but didn’t advance to the finals.
- In the Ladies 500m, April Shin, Jacqueline Chen and Kimberly Goetz all skated great to advance from the preliminaries to the heats, but didn’t advance out of heats.
- The Mens 3000m Relay team skated in the semifinals but were penalized due to a bad pass and didn’t advance.
- The third and final day of racing begins Sunday at 4am EST