American double in 1000m ladies
Heerenveen, Netherlands (Dec 13, 2014) Similar to last week USA skaters Brittany Bowe and Heather Richardson topped the 1000m podium, but they swapped places. This time Richardson took gold and Bowe, silver. Richardson equaled the track record of Ireen Wüst (NED) with 1:14.63. Opening in 17.76 she continued with laps of 27.4 and 29.4. The ISU World Cup Speed Skating Series continues tomorrow in Heerenveen with the Ladies’ and Men’s second 500m and the 1500m as well as the Mass Start.
- Heather Richardson (High Point, NC) and Brittany Bowe (Ocala, FL) celebrated yet another 1-2-finish in the 1000m.
- Sugar Todd (Milwaukee, WI) finished 11th in the 1000m B final.
- On the men’s side, Shani Davis (Chicago, IL) skated the 1000m in 1.09,52 which earned him an 8th place finish, just two spots ahead of Jonathan Garcia (Houston, TX), who skated a Seasons Best at 1.09,59.
- Joey Mantia (Ocala, FL) finished in 18th place in the 1000m with a time of 1.10,40.
- In the Men’s 1000m B final, Mitch Whitmore (Waukesha, WI) finished in 8th place, followed by Kimani Griffin (Winston-Salem, NC) in 19th.
- Edwin Park (Seattle, WA) skated to a 22nd place finish in the 500m B final, with a time of 6.46,12.
Watch the ISU World Cup Berlin this weekend from home with the icenetwork season pass! Get yours here: http://web.icenetwork.com/subscribe/
Click here for official results: http://www.speedskatingresults.com/index.php?p=2&e=13177
About US Speedskating
From Pond to Podium, we are US Speedskating. We grow and nurture a sport where all ages can experience the thrill of speed and the camaraderie of the skating community. US Speedskating is responsible for the development of speedskating from grassroots to the highest elite racing programs. US Speedskating is recognized by the United States Olympic Committee and the International Skating Union as the governing body for the sport of speedskating in the United States. The Organization has won 86 Olympic medals to-date, making it one of the most successful sports in U.S. Olympic history. US Speedskating is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Follow us on Twitter @USSpeedskating, Instagram @USSpeedskating, on Facebook Facebook.com/USSpeedskating and at http://usspeedskating.org