After consulting with the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee, USA Cycling, the Union Cycliste Internationale, as well as local, state and federal authorities, U.S. Paralympics Cycling has made some important decisions about our programs due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States and around the world, as outlined below. After reviewing the information, please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
The Fort Wayne Para-cycling Open has been postponed, and the Redlands Bicycle Classic has been canceled. These decisions were not taken lightly by any of the organizations involved, and were ultimately based on protecting the health of everyone involved with the events, including athletes, event staff, the local community and the general public.
USA Cycling has canceled domestic event permits through April 5, 2020 (this includes races that are part of the Cherry Creek Time Trial Series in Denver), and will re-evaluate if they will cancel future permits for events after that date.
Although USA Cycling Road & Track National Championships have not been canceled or postponed as of today, please keep an eye on the USA Cycling website, and social media channels for updates. Plans are still moving forward for the U.S. Paralympics Cycling Team Trials in June.
The U.S. Paralympics Cycling Athlete Search, scheduled for May 2nd in Miami has also been postponed, with a future date to be determined.
Current Events Status
- Fort Wayne Para-cycling Open – April 18-19, Fort Wayne, Ind. - POSTPONED (Date TBD)
- Redlands Bicycle Classic – April 23-26, Redlands, Calif. - CANCELED
- U.S. Paralympics Cycling Athlete Search – May 2, Miami, FL - POSTPONED (Date TBD)
- USA Cycling Para-cycling Road Nationals – May 6-7, Augusta, Ga. - TENTATIVE
- USA Cycling Para-cycling Track Nationals – July 1-2, Breinigsville, Penn. - TENTATIVE
- U.S. Paralympics Team Trials – June 26-28, Minneapolis, Minn. - SCHEDULED
Please monitor our social media channels for any additional updates to the status of events listed above. You can also contact our staff directly if you have specific questions:
- Ian Lawless – email@example.com
- Kyle McKinnis – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Hammer – email@example.com
The UCI has suspended all competitions through April 3, 2020 and will evaluate the potential for further suspensions in the coming weeks. Regardless of the eventual event status, U.S. Paralympics Cycling’s decision made last week not to take a team to World Cup #1 in May (Castiglione, Italy), will stand.
World Championships - The UCI has not announced any postponement or cancellation of the Road World Championships, scheduled in Belgium June 4-7, but we expect an announcement on the status of the event in the coming weeks.
Paralympic Games - Planning and preparations for the Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 are ongoing, with the Games set to open on Aug. 25. Athletes should continue training in preparation for the Games. More information from the International Paralympic Committee about the Coronavirus can be found via the weekly update on their website: https://www.paralympic.org/news/information-para-athletes-and-ipc-members-regarding-coronavirus
International Classification, Qualification and Selection
Both the IPC and UCI have acknowledged that as part of the global containment strategy of the disease, multiple Para sport events around the world have been cancelled or postponed in recent weeks. Such changes are having an impact on classification, qualification opportunities and even selection for Para athletes ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
U.S. Paralympics Cycling is also evaluating our current Team USA selection procedures based on aforementioned event cancellations/postponements and potential changes to the Tokyo 2020 qualification system. We will update our athletes if, and when the selection procedure change.
Olympic &Paralympic Training Center - CSOPTC
The Olympic & Paralympic Training Center in Colorado Springs is making some changes to their programming in response to the Coronavirus and is now open ONLY to residents and their coaches, who are training and preparing specifically for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. These changes will help keep our U.S. Paralympics Cycling athletes healthy, safe and focused on their Games preparation. The USOPC continues to implement the following risk mitigation actions at the CSOPTC:
- Enhanced cleaning of high-touch areas
- Signage in high-traffic areas to encourage frequent handwashing and other best practices and recommendations from the CDC.
- Dining hall hours will soon be limited and will switch from a self-serve model to one in which OPTC staff will serve food (limiting hand-to-hand contact with serving utensils).
We continue to stress the importance of preventing the spread of infection through the following steps:
- Avoid getting closer than 6 feet to anyone coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer that has 60-95% alcohol. This is especially important after going to the bathroom, before eating, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or your elbow if you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash, and then wash your hands.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces regularly
- Monitor the WHO and CDC websites for travel advisories, and follow their recommendations
If you are experiencing a fever, cough, shortness of breath, or just feel sick, be sure to check with your healthcare provider for advice. This is particularly important if you have been to a country within the past 14 days that has a higher risk for COVID-19 infection. Below is a list of high-risk countries as of March 16, 2020:
- South Korea
- Europe, including: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City
- Great Britain & Ireland