The USOPC is thrilled to announce the creation of the Medical Assistance Fund. Funds will be used to pay for significant medical costs incurred by elite Olympic and Paralympic athletes, including necessary travel-related expenses, that are not met through available resources. Eligibility criteria: To be eligible for the Medical Assistance Fund, athletes must:
- Have accessed existing resources, including Elite Athlete Health Insurance, National Medical Network, and NGB sport accident policies or have had these resources deemed not applicable
- The athlete must have EAHI or be EAHI eligible at time of the medical diagnosis or care
- Incurred uncovered, out-of-pocket medical costs of at least $100
Eligible athletes can apply for the Medical Assistance Fund by filling out an application form online.
For more information on the Medical Assistance Fund, including criteria, please access the policy online.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Medical Assistance Fund?
Who is eligible for this assistance?
- Have accessed existing resources, including EAHI, National Medical Network, and NGB sport accident policies or had these resources deemed not applicable
- Be enrolled in EAHI or be EAHI eligible at time of the medical diagnosis or care
- Have incurred uncovered, out-of-pocket medical costs between $100-$25,000
What type of medical expenses does the Medical Assistance Fund cover?
Athlete medical expenses eligible to be covered by the USOPC Medical Assistance Fund include, but are not limited to:
- Deductibles, copays and coinsurance for medical, dental and mental health care
- Prescription medication costs
- Medical-related travel
- Medical equipment, including prosthetics and orthotics
How can eligible Team USA athletes apply?
How are applicants reviewed and selected to receive assistance through the fund?
What information will I need to have available to submit in the application?
What other medical resources are available to athletes outside of the Medical Assistance Fund?
- Elite Athlete Health Insurance: Provides a level of base support through a program of health and major medical insurance for eligible athletes to help minimize out-of-pocket medical care expenses.
- National Medical Network: Offers eligible athletes access to high-quality medical services across the U.S. at a reduced or no cost, including orthopedics, sports medicine, general medicine and more.
- NGB Sport Accident Insurance: Carried by each NGB to process and coordinate acute sport injury claims.
- Global Travel Insurance: Provides health insurance coverage for illness or injury while eligible athletes are traveling abroad for sport.
- Sports medicine clinics: Provides athletes a variety of services, including clinical care, in-competition support, injury prevention and more.
How do I know which USOPC medical resources I’m eligible for?
How do I qualify for EAHI?
Who can I contact with questions about the Medical Assistance Fund or other USOPC medical resources?
For More Information
If you have general questions about the fund, contact an Athlete Healthcare Navigator at email@example.com.
If you have questions about medical services and needs, please contact 1-800-933-4473, Ext 2.