Kaillie Humphries and Lauren Gibbs celebrate winning the gold medal during day 2 of the BMW IBSF World Championships Altenberg 2020 on Feb. 22, 2020 in Altenberg, Germany.
Every week is a big week for Team USA. This week, we had world championships, more Tokyo qualifications and lots of podium finishes. We also saw some of our favorite Team USA athletes appear on an episode of "Project Runway," Shaun White shredding the slopes and Oksana Masters give an inspiring acceptance speech. Get up to date on everything you might have missed.
1. See you in Tokyo! Foil fencers Alexander Massialas and Gerek Meinhardt secured their spots in Tokyo.
2. In addition to the men’s foil fencers, the women’s foil fencing team officially locked in its place in Tokyo this summer. Iman Blow, Jackie Dubrovich, Lee Kiefer and Sabrina Massialas also earned their first world cup medal of the season together.
4. Bobsledders Elana Meyers Taylor and Nic Taylor welcomed their new son, Nico, a little earlier than expected. Welcome to the Team USA family, Nico!
Nicholas, aka Nico, Mommy & Daddy love you very much 💙 In true Meyers Taylor fashion our baby boy is already showing how much of a fighter he is! 🥊 Even though our champ started over 8lbs, he’s in the NICU but he’s strong and getting better every moment. We love you Nico! pic.twitter.com/IWMO0kAvIC— Elana Meyers Taylor OLY (@eamslider24) February 23, 2020
Years In The Making
Congratulations to Justin Schoenefeld on his first @FISfreestyle win! 👏— Team USA (@TeamUSA) February 22, 2020
On Top Of The World
7. Kate Nye is IWF’s 2019 Lifter of the Year, and we can’t think of anyone more deserving! We can't wait to see what 2020 has in store for her!
View this post on Instagram
So proud to be IWF’s Lifter of the Year🎊🤩 I couldn’t have done this without my coach @teamhercwl , all of you who voted, and my wonderful family💗 I had the best year of my life in 2019 and this is just the cherry on top. This is the first time since the 80’s an American has received this honor, which makes this even more cool😎 congrats to @talakhadzelasha_official for winning on the men’s side and all the other nominees! Onwards to an even better 2020 🏋🏼♀️🇺🇸
8. Kaillie Humphries and Lauren Gibbs are world champions, which means a celebration is in order! This was Humphries' third world title – her first as a member of Team USA.
2020 WORLD CHAMPIONS @IBSFsliding @USABS @TeamUSA— Kaillie Humphries OLY (@BobsledKaillie) February 23, 2020
Earned not given!
Be the person who wakes up with purpose and intent.Who shows up and never gives up,no matter how hard life tries to push you down. Believe anything is possible, & be willing to work for it. Go get yours! pic.twitter.com/zlfwI9PKcD
Team USA On “Project Runway”
9. Some of your favorite Team USA athletes appeared on last week’s episode of “Project Runway,” showing the world that fashion should be accessible to everyone!
Ahhhh I’m so excited😄This was such an amazing experience to be on @ProjectRunway and to have met some of the best designers. It was so special to be on this show because fashion is for everyone and should be “accessible” to everyone ❤️ tune in tonight at 9pm on @BravoTV pic.twitter.com/DxcLS5aDy5— Tatyana McFadden (@TatyanaMcFadden) February 20, 2020
ICYMI this concludes the end of my runway career 😂 I had a blast on @BravoTV #ProjectRunway representing @teamusa and @usparalympics. Representation matters bc it’s important for society to see marginalized groups in spaces where they’ve largely been unseen. pic.twitter.com/es1HXLSOH1— Scout Bassett (@ScoutBassett) February 22, 2020
In Other News
10. We just can’t take it. This is too sweet. Melissa Stockwell shared the heartwarming story of a fifth-grade girl who decided she wanted to dress up as the Paralympian she looks up to the most.
I am so moved by this. Thank you to Jana’s mom for sharing this and to Jana, for continuing to spread the message that our disabilities are really just different abilities. You sure are something. And that leg is spot on! ❤️ 🦿🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/4ADR7QxnFo— Melissa Stockwell (@MStockwell01) February 21, 2020
11. We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: Shaun White content is the only content we need.
12. Oksana Masters is beyond inspiring, and so is this speech. Masters was named World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability at the 2020 Laureus World Sports Awards in Berlin.
“To any girl or boy, if you guys look different or you think you look different, never let society determine what you see when you look in the mirror and never let them determine the preconception of what they think is possible"— Laureus (@LaureusSport) February 19, 2020
Never stop inspiring @OksanaMasters 💪#Laureus20 pic.twitter.com/uTutz92crY