Simone Biles competes in the women's balance beam at 2018 FIG Artistic Gymnastics Championships on Oct. 27, 2018 in Doha, Qatar
This last week, we learned that there’s absolutely nothing, not even a late night trip to the emergency room, that can stop Simone Biles, we celebrated medals on medals for the wrestling team, and we began to emotionally prepare for Lindsey Vonn’s final season.
Want to learn to curl like the pros? Looking for breaking news, videos, Olympic and Paralympic team bios all at your fingertips? Download the Team USA app today.
Wonderful World of Wrestling (Worlds)
1. Kyle Dake has waited for this moment, and when it came, he was ready to shine. Dake had been stuck behind J’den Cox and Jordan Burroughs in his efforts to make a world team, but now that he’s wrestling at 79 kg, he’s making a name for himself. Dake won gold at his first wrestling world championships last weekend.
2. Imagine your favorite wrestler Jordan Burroughs left behind his world championship uniform at the laundromat.
Anyone still in Budapest? I just finished up some laundry before our next stop and decided to leave behind one of my World Championship singlets. Finders keepers. 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/l4YGWy5H5p
— Jordan Burroughs (@alliseeisgold) October 23, 2018
4. Don’t miss out on our favorite photos from wrestling’s best in Budapest.
5. It's the final countdown
Lindsey Vonn has started her final season and the record for the most world cup victories for an alpine skier is within reach: Vonn has 82 to Ingemar Stenmark’s 86. While the record is in the back of her mind, it’s not her focus as the final countdown begins.
6. Kerri Walsh Jennings and Brooke Sweat are a new partnership to beach volleyball, and they have their sights set on Tokyo. They won their first medal together over the weekend.
7. Congratulations to the queen of triple jumps herself, Kimmie Meissner!
Four and a half years ago, this guy asked me out, I said yes. Three months later he asked me to be his girlfriend, I said yes. He’s asked me to travel with him, laugh and cry with him, rock climb, scuba dive, and everything in between with him and I always say yes. So last night when he asked me to be his forever, I said yes. ❤️💍 Such a perfect night filled with love, happiness, and family!! #engaged
8. "We want those girls to come and watch us play so they can dream to play professionally."
-Ice hockey player Hannah Brandt
9. Simone Biles spent most of the night in the hospital on Friday and proceeded to kick butt on the mat on Saturday, leading us to wonder: Is there anything she can’t do?
10. Also, let’s add “Gets shoutouts from Alicia Keys” to this list of accomplishments.
Shine like @Simone_Biles!!!💥💥💥 https://t.co/kc86UHx0pr— Alicia Keys (@aliciakeys) October 30, 2018
11. Thanks in part to Biles performance, we're excited to say: SEE YOU IN TOKYO!
JOB DONE. ✔️— Team USA (@TeamUSA) October 30, 2018
The women of @USAGym dominate the team final, winning by 8.766 points (🙌), AND earn a spot for #TeamUSA 🇺🇸 at @Tokyo2020. https://t.co/uWcKwVoFJY | #DohaGym2018 pic.twitter.com/SwEzYsvkhX
12. Three out of five of the members of the U.S. men’s gymnastics team were experiencing worlds for the first time, but the rookies kept it competitive. They finished in fourth, just shy of qualifying for the upcoming Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. They will get another shot next year at world championships, when they will need to finish in the top nine (of those not yet qualified) to qualify for the Games.
13. Happy Halloween!
There’s no better way to be prepared than by representing Team USA. Whether you want to represent the GOAT (Serena Williams) or just need an excuse to add some Team USA gear to your closet and show off as Matt Hamilton, we have the guidelines to make sure you’re covered.
14. Bonus points if you get your friend to dress as a tennis ball.
@serenawilliams what do you think of our Halloween impression of you? pic.twitter.com/BWTbSN5ymw— Fiona McKenna (@fimck11) October 23, 2018