COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.– The United States Olympic Committee today announced details of Team USA WinterFest presented by HERSHEY’S. The 13-stop, interactive festival will crisscross the country – and make a stop in Seoul, South Korea – to bring the excitement of the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 to Team USA fans around the globe. Tour elements will include the HERSHEY’S S’moresmobile, the Team USA Social Media Truck and the Curling Challenge both presented by OREO, along with a virtual-reality experience, interactive fan elements, athlete meet and greets, Team USA giveaways and more.
Team USA WinterFest presented by HERSHEY’S will make five stops in 2017 and eight in 2018, leading up to and during the PyeongChang 2018 Games. The first stop will be in Times Square on Wednesday, Nov. 1 in conjunction with the 100 Day Countdown to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. The 100 Day Countdown event has become a celebrated milestone in New York City’s iconic Times Square prior to each Olympic Games.
“We have the most passionate fans in the world, and we are thrilled to capture the excitement of the upcoming Games and bring it to our fans across the country through Team USA WinterFest,” said USOC CMO Lisa Baird. “Thanks to the support of great Team USA partners, fans can meet inspiring athletes and enjoy the multiple interactive elements as they join Team USA in celebrating the upcoming PyeongChang Games.”
New to the USOC’s interactive tour this year will be the HERSHEY’S S’moresmobile along with the Bobsled Boomerang presented by HERSHEY’S. The new S’moresmobile will provide Team USA fans free, full-size HERSHEY’S S’mores, while supplies last, at select stops for Team USA fans to enjoy while sharing memories over the all-American classic treat. The Bobsled Boomerang will give fans the chance to experience what it’s like to be in an Olympic bobsled, while also capturing and sharing the moment on social media.
“The partnership between the HERSHEY’S brand and Team USA is nothing short of a perfect iconic American pairing,” said Melinda Lewis, senior director and general manager of HERSHEY’S brand. “The ability to become the title sponsor to WinterFest and drive excitement for our fans and country – both stateside and abroad – is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We can’t wait to come together and drive excitement and enthusiasm for Team USA as we journey down the road to the 2018 Winter Games in PyeongChang.”
The Team USA Social Media Truck and the Curling Challenge – both presented by OREO – are also new to the tour. The social media truck will feature multiple interactive stations, including a Team USA Athlete Snapchat Face Swap; a designated photo and GIF station; and a digital message board for fans to share good-luck messages with Team USA athletes ahead of the 2018 Games. The Team USA Curling Challenge will allow fans to test their curling skills and enter for a chance to win a trip to the WinterFest stop in Park City, Utah, on Feb. 10 during the opening weekend of the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. See below for the full WinterFest tour schedule.
Additional tour elements include the Skeleton Virtual Reality Experience powered by Samsung, which will take place in a life-size snow globe. The HERSHEY’S Stage for live entertainment will also appear at select stops, welcoming renowned international musical artists and creating an intersection of sport and music. Performances include:
- Darius Rucker and Grace VanderWaal – Nov. 1: New York
- Good Charlotte and Sleeping with Sirens – Feb. 10: Park City, Utah
- Rachel Platten – Feb. 19: Seoul, South Korea
- Third Eye Blind – Feb. 24: Lake Placid, New York
All Team USA WinterFest stops are free and open to the public. For more information on the Team USA WinterFest Tour presented by HERSHEY’S, visit TeamUSA.org/WinterFest.
100 Day Countdown
The 100 Day Countdown has become a celebrated event in the lead up to each Olympic Games. On Nov. 1, the festivities will begin on NBC’s TODAY show, launching the official countdown while showcasing several Team USA athletes, their sports and previewing the 2018 Games. The festivities will then move to Team USA WinterFest in Times Square, where more than 50 athletes – including Olympic champions Kelly Clark (snowboarding) and Ted Ligety (alpine skiing) – will participate in a press conference, autograph sessions and on-stage interviews.
For the first time ever, fans at home can join the celebration by watching Team USA WinterFest presented by HERSHEY’S “The 100 Days Out Special” on the Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA from 7-8 p.m. ET on Nov. 1. The hour-long special – hosted by NBC’s Jimmy Roberts alongside Carolyn Manno – will feature highlights and interviews throughout the day and will include live musical performances from Grammy® Award-winning artist Darius Rucker and rising star Grace VanderWaal on the HERSHEY’S Stage.
Other athletes will include:
- Jamie Anderson (snowboarding): 2014 Olympic gold medalist in slopestyle
- Maddie Bowman (freestyle skiing): 2014 Olympic gold medalist in halfpipe
- Joss Christensen (freestyle skiing): 2014 Olympic gold medalist in slopestyle
- Kelly Clark (snowboarding): Four-time Olympian (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014); three-time Olympic medalist (one gold, two bronzes) in halfpipe
- Meryl Davis and Charlie White (figure skating): Two-time Olympians (2010, 2014); three-time Olympic medalists (one gold, one silver, one bronze) in ice dance and mixed team
- Alex Deibold (snowboarding): 2014 Olympic bronze medalist in snowboardcross
- Meghan Duggan (ice hockey): Two-time Olympian (2010, 2014); two-time Olympic silver medalist
- Gus Kenworthy (freestyle skiing): 2014 Olympic silver medalist in slopestyle
- Chloe Kim (snowboarding): 2018 Olympic hopeful
- Hilary Knight (ice hockey): Two-time Olympian (2010, 2014); two-time Olympic silver medalist
- Steve Langton (bobsled): Two-time Olympian (2010, 2014); two-time Olympic bronze medalist (two-man and four-man)
- Ted Ligety (alpine skiing): Three-time Olympian (2006, 2010, 2014); two-time Olympic gold medalist (combined, giant slalom)
- Julia Mancuso (alpine skiing): Four-time Olympian (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014); four-time Olympic medalist (one gold, two silver, one bronze)
- Elana Meyers Taylor (bobsled): Two-time Olympian (2010, 2014); two-time Olympic medalist (one silver, one bronze)
- Rico Roman (sled hockey): 2014 Paralympic gold medalist
- Alex and Maia Shibutani (figure skating): 2014 Olympians
- Ashley Wagner (figure skating): 2014 Olympic bronze medalist in mixed team
The event will also feature a curling sports demonstration led by three-time Olympian and bronze medalist John Shuster; a performance from the Flying Aces presented by United Airlines; and local Korean cultural experiences. There will be a Team USA mobile merchandise truck where fans can purchase mittens, hats and scarves from this year’s Red, White and Winter Collection, along with other assorted Team USA gear.
Times Square schedule of events
1-2:30 p.m. Press conference and media hour
3-8 p.m. Open to the general public
7-8 p.m. Live show on the Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA
See below for the full 2017-18 tour. For more information about WinterFest, visit TeamUSA.org/WinterFest.
|DATES||LOCATION/IN CONJUNCTION WITH...||CITY|
|Nov. 1, 2017||100 Days Out||New York, New York|
|Nov. 11, 2017||U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Curling||Omaha, Nebraska|
|Nov. 18, 2017||Klyde Warren Park||Dallas, Texas|
|Dec. 2, 2017||Washington Park||Cincinnati, Ohio|
|Dec. 30-31, 2017||Downtown Nashville - New Year's Eve||Nashville, Tennessee|
|Jan. 6, 2018||U.S. Figure Skating Championships||San Jose, California|
|Jan. 13, 2018||Après Ski Activities||Squaw Valley, California|
|Jan. 20, 2018||Walmart Flagship Store||Bentonville, Arkansas|
|Feb. 3, 2018||Saint Paul Winter Carnival||St. Paul, Minnesota|
|Feb. 10, 2018||Opening Weekend of the 2018 Games||Park City, Utah|
|Feb. 19, 2018||Military Appreciation Celebration||Seoul, South Korea|
|Feb. 20, 2018||The Hershey Company Headquarters||Hershey, Pennsylvania|
|Feb. 24, 2018||Closing Weekend of the 2018 Games||Lake Placid, New York|