Since Missy Franklin burst onto the scene before the London 2012 Olympic Games, one thing has been abundantly clear: we would all love to be Missy Franklin's friend. Franklin, in addition to being a world-class swimmer, is always smiling, loves her family and friends (and pets), travels the world and has all sorts of adventures. Sure sounds like amazing best friend material to us!
In honor of the five-time Olympic medalist's 21st birthday, check out 21 times her Instagram posts had us wishing we were her best friend.
1. The time she brought her cat while she was getting glammed.
2. The time she announced that she's writing a book.
Been working on this for so long and have been DYING to tell you guys... my family and I are coming out with a book!!👏🏻👏🏻 The official release date is December 6th so we still have a while to go but I can't wait to keep working on this to make it as perfect as possible for anyone who wants to read it! #relentlessspirit
3. The time she reminisced about her world travels.
4. The time she was a supportive teammate.
5. The time she showed appreciation for her friends.
6. The time she agreed that food is the most important thing.
7. The time she was excited for Rio!
I'm obviously not excited that Rio is in 6 months... This video did such an excellent job of capturing how much of a dork I am, which let me tell you, is really hard to fit into a five second clip! Can't believe I'll be chasing my dreams for a second Olympics so soon!! Incredibly thankful to be living my dream every day🎉🏊🏼🇧🇷 #RoadtoRio
8. The time she was a beast in the gym.
9. The time she gave us some inspirational words.
10. ...and the time she didn't need to.
11. The time she was total life goals.
12. The time she gave back to her sport.
13. The time she rocked the Golden Goggle awards.
14. The time she signed autographs for her fans.
15. The time she visited Sri Lanka.
The past two days I have had the life changing experience of visiting Sri Lankan villages effected by the tsunami in 2004. The Foundation for Goodness supported by @laureussport has turned this devastation into a blessing, and is doing incredible work every day educating kids in the classroom and on the field and in the pool. I will cherish the memories and friends I made here for the rest of my life, and will be eternally grateful for the inspiration and empowerment I have felt after seeing such good works being done for people who are more than deserving of it!
16. The time she wanted the simple things in life.
17. The time she hung out with Taylor Swift.
18. The time she was totally relatable.
19. The time she took home some serious hardware.
Hopefully this photo doesn't need much of a caption because it captures my pure joy and excitement. I could not be more honored to receive the Collegiate Women Sports Awards Honda Cup. Getting to know all the incredible women in the 2015 class and being so inspired by them was by far the most rewarding part❤️ Thank you so much to the University of California Berkeley for giving me the opportunity to represent my dream school and to all my CAL teammates and coaches who mean more than the world to me, this wouldn't have been possible without you. And, an additional plus, I was able to wear a white dress because I'm tan enough now that you can tell a difference between my skin and the dress!😂👍🏻 #stillalittlesunburnt #ohwell #gobears #foreverbleedblueandgold
20. The time she showed her love for her dad.
21. The time she took to the sky.
So this happened yesterday🙈✈️ I am SO grateful for the experience of flying in an F-16 with one of the incredible pilots of the Thunderbirds. 9.3 g's later and I have such an appreciation for what the men and women in our Air Force are capable of. Thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedom. And thank you to the Thunderbirds for being such incredible ambassadors of the Air Force!