Seeds set at 71 kg and 80 kg in Phase II U.S. World Team Trials in Greco-RomanFARGO, N.D. – Seeds have been established at 71 kg/156 lbs. and 80 kg/176 lbs. in Greco-Roman for the Phase II U.S. World Team Trials, which will be held in the Fargodome on Tuesday, July 19.
2014 U.S. Open champion and two-time World bronze medalist Justin Lester (Colorado Springs, Colo./Army WCAP) at 71 kg/156 lbs advances directly to the best-of-three Championship Series on Tuesday afternoon.
A total of seven athletes are in the Trials Tournament at 71 kg/156 lbs. with U.S. Open runner-up Patrick Smith (Minneapolis, Minn./Minnesota Storm) as the top seed.
At. 80 kg/176 lbs., no athlete will advance directly to the best-of-three Championship Series. Instead, the winners of the semifinals of the Trials Tournament will both advance to the best-of-three championship series finals.
Tarrence Williams (Portland, Ore./Clackamas WC), who was fourth at the U.S. Open at this weight class, received the No. 1 seed. There are seven athletes seeded in the Trials Tournament in this weight class, while three athletes did not receive seeds and were drawn into the bracket, for a total of 10 athletes in the Trials Tournament.
Winners earn a spot on the 2014 U.S. World Team, which will compete at the World Wrestling Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in September.
The Trials Tournament will begin at 9:00 a.m., with the best-of-three Championship Series set for 2:15 p.m.
PHASE II U.S. WORLD TEAM TRIALS
At Fargo, N.D.
71 kg/156.5 lbs.
Final Wrestle-off Qualifier
2014 U.S. Open champion – Justin Lester, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Army WCAP)
Trials Tournament Seeds
1. Patrick Smith, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
2. Bo Beckman, Colorado Springs, Colo. (NYAC)
3. Ellis Coleman, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
4. Jamel Johnson, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
5. Alec Ortiz, Grand Ronde, Ore. (Minnesota Storm)
6. Norman Manning, Binghamton, N.Y. (Rockhead-Limestone College)
7. Anthonie Linares, San Jose, Calif. (USOTS)
80 kg/176 lbs.
Trials Tournament Seeds
1. Tarrence Williams, Portland, Ore. (Clackamas WC)
2. Josh Greer, Birmingham, Ala. (USOTS)
3. Jon Anderson, Fort Carson, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
4. Ben Provisor, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC)
5. Josef Rau, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
6. Zak Benitz, Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. (Peacock WC)
7. Brock Gutches, Central Point, Ore. (OTC)
Athletes not seeded in Trials Tournament
Khalil Abdulshakur, Lawrenceville, Ga. (Life Running Eagles WC)
Anthony Bonaventura, Commack, N.Y. (TOSS WC)
Patrick Martinez, Oviedo, Fla. (Florida Jets)