Beach Olympic Games
- The United States has won gold at every Olympic beach showing, either in men's or women's, since the sports inception in 1996.
- There is a limit of two teams per country for the Olympic Games
- In total, there are 96 athletes competing in the beach discipline during the Olympics (48 men, 48 women; 24 teams in each gender medal event)
2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games
Venue: Copacabana Beach
Dates: Aug. 5 to Aug. 21 Qualifying for beach:
1. World Championships - One spot available per gender, per country, if team wins. Took place June 26 - July 5, 2015 in The Netherlands. Brazil earned both men's and women's spots when Alison/Schmidt and Barbara/Agatha won the men's and women's titles, respectively.
2. FIVB Olympic Rankings - Top 15 in both genders by June 13, 2016. Ranking is based on points from Jan. 1, 2015 to June 13, 2016. Maximum of two pairs, per gender, for a country. Since the U.S. didn't win Worlds, two spots could be gained by rankings. USAV will nominate the team(s) with the highest point total(s), if the U.S. has quota spots earned in the Top 15 Rankings. See eligibility below.
Brazil earned one spot for men and women through World Championships and their second spots for both genders by being the host country. Brazil's teams that rank in the Top 15 will not count in the spots allotted through rankings.See current provisional Olympic rankings for: MEN | WOMEN
3. Continental Cup - One quota spot per confederation available (Meaning USAV could only win one quota spot per gender here). Each NF is represented by two teams per gender, three phrases will be played (1st, 2nd, Finals) with the winning team moving on. If the U.S. earns two spots via rankings, they will not compete in this event. Event June 20-26, 2016. USA will send teams to this event based on their Olympic ranking, teams must have played 12 events together.
4. FIVB Continental Cup Olympic Qualification- The 2nd and 3rd NF from each Continental Cup (#3) that has not already earned two quota spots will qualify for this event. USAV will only compete in the final phase based on our NORCECA ranking. Teams ranked in first or second at this event can each earn one quota spot for thier NF. This is the last chance to qualify for the 2016 Games. If the U.S. earns two spots between the FIVB rankings or Continental Cup, they will not compete in this event. Event July 4-10, 2016.
Event will be played as country vs country (ex. both USA's teams vs Country X). If USA wins in the head-to-head, the two American teams will have a playoff for the Olympic spot.
Athlete Eligibility for Rio Olympics
1. To qualify through the Olympic Ranking List, all athletes must have participated in a minimum of 12 official FIVB Olympic Qualification tournaments as an individual (FIVB World Tour/World Championships/recognized Continental Tour Finals) between Jan. 1, 2015 until June 12, 2016.
In the event of a tie, the following criteria will apply to determine the teams earning the quota place for their NOC:
a) The total qualification points accumulated as a team through Olympic Qualification tournaments Jan. 1, 2015 to June 12, 2016
b) The total number of Olympic Qualification tournaments the team has participated in from Jan. 1, 2015 to June 12, 2016
c) The best finishes as a team in the Olympic Qualification tournaments from Jan. 1, 2015 to June 12, 2016
The Olympic Ranking is established on FIVB World Ranking points earned at the 12 best performances as a team in the World Championships, World Tour events and recognized Continental Tour Finals (best of the two results) from Jan. 1, 2015 until June 12, 2016.
2. To qualify through the Beach Volleyball Continental Cup or Continental Cup Olympic Qualification, athletes must have participated as an individual in a minimum of 12 events among Continental Cups (Continental Final and Olympic Qualification), National and/or Continental and/or FIVB events scheduled from June 1, 2014 until July 10, 2016.
- An athlete can earn a maximum of one quota place for their NOC to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- The host country (Brazil) is guaranteed one quota place per gender and the right to participate in all qualification events to earn a second quota place
2012 London Olympic Games
Venue: Horse Guards Parade
Dates: July 28 to Aug. 9
Medals: Gold Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings; Silver Jennifer Kessy and April Ross
*For more information on U.S. beach volleyball teams that competed at the 2012 Olympic Games, click here
NBC 2012 Olympic Games Page | FIVB 2012 Olympic Games Page | Beach Media Resources
2008 Beijing Olympic Games
Venue: Chaoyang Park Beach Volleyball Ground
Dates: Aug. 9-22
Medals: Gold Todd Rogers and Phil Dalhausser; Gold Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor
2004 Athens Olympic Games
Venue: Faliro Olympic Beach Volleyball Centre
Dates: Aug. 14-25
Medals: Gold Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor; Bronze Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs
2000 Sydney Olympic Games
Venue: Bondi Beach
Dates: Sept. 16-26
Medals: Gold Dain Blanton and Eric Fonoimoana
1996 Atlanta Olympic Games
Venue: Atlanta Beach
Dates: July 23-28
Medals: Gold Karch Kiraly and Kent Steffes; Silver Michael Dodd and Mike Whitmarsh