Hometown: Ridgefield, Conn.
Resides: Los Angeles
College: UC Santa Barbara
View Theo’s complete match statistics at BVBinfo.com
- Placed fourth at the 2015 Beach World Championships with Nick Lucena, lost the bronze medal match to Brazil
- Won his first FIVB medal when he took bronze with Todd Rogers at the 2014 World Series of Beach Volleyball in Long Beach, Calif.
- Took second at the 2014 Manhattan Beach Open (part of the AVP Tour) with Rogers and finished third with Rogers at the 2014 AVP Tour event in Salt Lake City
- Named 2013 and 2014 Best Blocker on the AVP Tour. Named 2014 Beach Newcomer of the Year by Volleyball Magazine
DID YOU KNOW?
- In his first and second international tournaments with Allen, duo tied for 17th at the Hamburg Major and Olsztyn Grand Slam. Finished 25th in Klagenfurt
- Paired with Billy Allen, finished third at the 2016 AVP Huntington Beach Open
- Opened the 2016 FIVB World Tour with a 17th place finish at the Maceio Open with Rosenthal; followed with 25th at the Rio Grand Slam and 17th in Vitoria, Brazil
- Finished 17th with Sean Rosenthal at the 2015 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam, their first World Tour event together and 25th at the Olsztyn Grand Slam and Xiamen Open
- Following the World Championship fourth-place finish, Brunner and Lucena played through qualification at Gstaad Major to finish ninth, also finished ninth at Yokohama Grand Slam. Duo has placed in the Top 25 in eight of eight events by this point
- Finished third at the 2015 St. Petersburg Grand Slam with Theo Brunner, bumping their World Tour ranking to 17th following the event and heading into the World Championships
- Opened the 2015 season tying for fifth with Nick Lucena at the FIVB World Tour Fuzhou Open in China. The next time they placed was when they tied for 25th at the Moscow Grand Slam and 25th at the Porec Major.
- Won two gold medals with Todd Rogers on the 2014 NORCECA Tour (in Varadero, Cuba and Grand Cayman). Won a gold medal with Nick Lucena at the 2013 NORCECA Tour event in Chula Vista, Calif.
- First competed in beach volleyball in 2006, but didn't start playing full time until 2013
- Played indoors professionally in Greece, Italy and Germany
- Was a member of the indoor U.S. Men's A2 Team that won the 2010 Pan American Cup in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Finished second among all blockers in the tournament and first among the U.S. players with 13 totals blocks and five faults for an average of 0.72 blocks per set
- Was a member of the indoor U.S. Men’s Junior National Team that finished eighth at the FIVB World Championship in Visakhapatnam, India. Was the second-leading blocker for the U.S.
- All-MPSF Second Team his senior year at UCSB in 2008, when he also served as a co-captain
- In 2007, named AVCA First Team All American and First Team All MPSF
- Started at UCSB in 2004, but red-shirted his freshman year
- Graduated from UC Santa Barbara in 2008 with a BA in philosophy
- Began playing volleyball in 2000 with Connecticut Juniors and at Ridgefield High School
- Played setter and middle blocker at Ridgefield and earned First Team All-FCIAC and First Team All-State honors after leading the Tigers to the 2003 Connecticut Class L State Championship
- Parents are Tim and Sally Brunner. Has an older brother, Max, an older sister, Emily, and a younger sister, Lydia
| Theo Brunner, left, attacks during a 2014 NORCECA Tour event.
THE BIG BLURB
“I want to see Theo be successful now and for years to come. He has all the physical capabilities to be in the Olympics, potentially, in 2016, but definitely in 2020 and, if he stays healthy, 2024. He brings youth and fantastic blocking to the court.” – Todd Rogers on Theo Brunner in Presidio Sports
“Keys to success have been learning how to take care of my body in order to put up with the difficult travel schedule of beach volleyball. Getting in better shape, and just getting more matches under my belt in terms of experience.” – Theo Brunner in the Ridgefield Press
FIVB - World Championship Success = Nothing But More Matches
FIVB - World Championship Success = Nothing But More Matches
FIVB - USA's Brunner/Lucena trying to capture magic from season's past
FIVB - Lucena & Brunner take the underdog approach
FIVB - Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
FIVB - Lucena and Brunner out to halt Qatari run
FIVB VIDEO- Lucena/Brunner can't hold out Walkenhorst/Windschief
FIVB VIDEO - Theo Brunner is a wall for Russia!
FIVB - Lucena and Brunner survive tough examination to match compatriots
Ridgefield Press - Fresh off win in Cuba, Brunner heads to Atlantic City for beach tourney
Ridgefield Press - Brunner has clear goal: Make U.S. Olympic beach volleyball team
Daily Breeze - Todd Rogers, Theo Brunner stick around to take bronze
Updated July, 2016
Behind the scenes with the USA athletes at USAvBRA
March 06, 2015
USA beach athletes share their experience playing on Copacabana Beach and their time in Rio de Janeiro
Follow the USA vs Brazil event
Feb. 23, 2015
Follow USA Volleyball and the beach athletes in Rio de Janeiro, Feb. 26-March 1
Top USA beach names to face off against Brazil
Feb. 02, 2015
The top USA and Brazil beach pairs will play in a team challenge in Rio de Janeiro this February
Carico, DiCello to Play in Semis
BJ Evans Dec. 12, 2014
Lane Carico and Kim DiCello to play No. 4 Czech team in South Africa semis
Beach Teams Advance to Round Two
Jessica Hall Dec. 11, 2014
Three U.S. beach teams advanced to round two of the FIVB Mangaung Open.
Carico, DiCello Lead U.S. Beach Teams
BJ Evans Dec. 10, 2014
Theo Brunner and Nick Lucena also undefeated at FIVB Mangaung Open
Beach Teams Competing in South Africa
BJ Evans Dec. 09, 2014
Lane Carico and Kim DiCello are women's top seeds at Mangaung Open
Ross, Gibb are MVPs at AVP Awards
BJ Evans Nov. 19, 2014
U.S. Women's Beach Team Reaches Semis
BJ Evans Oct. 11, 2014
Theo Brunner and John Mayer finish fourth in men's bracket
Brunner, Mayer Advance to Semifinals
Jessica Hall Oct. 10, 2014
Brunner, Mayer advance to semifinals of Xiamen Open.
More Stories ›