Birth Year: 1992
Resides: Carlsbad, Calif.
College: Pepperdine/ Washington
View Summer's full match statistics at BVBinfo.com
Follow Summer on Instagram
- In 2010 when she was 17, Ross partnered with Jane Croson to win the FIVB U19 World Championship and partnered with Tara Roenicke to win the FIVB U21 World Championship. It was the first time the U.S. had won gold in either tournament.
- In 2012, won the gold medal at the World University Championships with partner Emily Day.
- Named the USA Volleyball Female Beach Volleyball Player of the Year in 2010, the first time the award was ever given to a junior player
- Has two AVP titles to her name, 2016 Seattle with Lane Carico and 2013 Cincinnati with Emily Day
DID YOU KNOW
- On the 2016 AVP Tour with Lane Carico placed: second at Manhattan Beach, third at San Francisco, second at New York City, first in Seattle and third in Huntington Beach
- Tied for 17th at the Moscow Grand Slam with Carico, then ninth at the Gstaad Major and 17th in Klagenfurt
- In their fourth and fifth T10 finishes of the season, with Carico, duo finished ninth in back-to-back tournaments at the Fortaleza Open and Cincinnati Open
- Duo placed 25th at the Maceio and Xiamen Opens, followed with a fifth-place showing in Fuzhou for their best finish of 2016 to date
- Started the 2016 FIVB World Tour tying for ninth at the Puerto Vallarta Open and Antalya Open with Lane Carico
- Opened the 2015 FIVB World Tour tying for ninth with Jennifer Fopma at the Fuzhou Open in China. Improved to a team best finish of fifth at the Prague Open. Placed again, 17th, at the Moscow Grand Slam
- Tied her best 2015 FIVB World Tour finish with Carico, finishing with consecutive fifth-place showings at the Rio Open and Sochi Open
- Partnered with Lane Carico, pair took ninth at the Yokohama Grand Slam, 25th in Long Beach and 17th at the Xiamen Open
- Placed second at the 2015 AVP Seattle Open with Carico, their first event together in AVP competition
- With Carico, tied for third at the 2015 AVP Manhattan Beach Open and Chicago
- With Fopma, was also one of four women's teams to play in Melhores do Mundo, USA vs Brazil in Rio de Janeiro in Late February 2015.
- Finished 2014 ranked 21st on the FIVB World Tour with partner Emily Day. The pair was second among U.S. teams. Their best finish was fifth
- Finished 2014 ranked third on the AVP Tour with Day. The team finished second at Atlantic City and third at St. Petersburg, Salt Lake City and Manhattan Beach.
- Took the silver medal with partner Brittany Hochevar at the 2013 NORCECA Beach Circuit event in the Dominican Republic (March 29-31)
- Transferred from Washington to Pepperdine in January 2012 and won the first-ever AVCA Collegiate Sand Volleyball National Pairs Championship with partner Caitlin Racich
- Spent 2011 fall semester of her freshman year playing indoor volleyball for the University of Washington where she averaged 1.56 kills and 2.23 digs as a starting outside hitter
- Became the first athlete, male or female, to win both the FIVB Youth World Championships and the FIVB Junior World Championships in the same year in 2010
- Nominated for the United States Olympic Committee SportsWoman of the year in 2010
- Partner with Tara Roenicke and qualified for the main draw of two AVP Tour pro beach events in 2010, becoming the youngest duo ever to make the main draw
- Competed in the 2010 main draw against Olympic gold medalist Misty May-Treanor
- Featured in Sports Illustrated’s “Faces in the Crowd” after her Junior World Championships victory
- Placed ninth with partner Jane Croson at the 2008 FIVB World Junior Championships in England, the youngest pair to ever compete
- Played club for Encinitas WAVE from 2005-07, then played for Laguna Beach in 2008, followed by two years playing for Coast VBC in 2009-10
- Listed among Volleyball Magazine’s “Fab 50” high school players
- Graduated from Carlsbad Seaside Academy a semester early and was the 2011 valedictorian
- Left Pepperdine and chose to pursue professional beach volleyball exclusively in 2012
- Ross’s mother, Kathy, died in 2014 while Summer was competing overseas
- Ross’s father is Tony. Her brother, Chase, played volleyball at Pepperdine
| Summer Ross celebrates during a 2014 FIVB tournament.
THE BIG BLURB
“I definitely think she’s the future of our sport, I definitely see that,” Misty May-Treanor said of Ross. “And I think she’s doing all the right things to get there. She went for indoor, found her heart was beach, went professional in beach, and I know she’s very dedicated to the beach game. And trying her hand at 2016, which is not out of her sights at all. She can definitely make that a reality, in my eyes.”
“I love having goals but I also like to keep it one day at a time and getting better each day,” Ross said in an Echo Entertainment interview. “Going to the Olympics is a big dream but I definitely want to keep improving and hopefully one day get there.”
Updated July, 2016
Behind the scenes with the USA athletes at USAvBRA
March 06, 2015
USA beach athletes share their experience playing on Copacabana Beach and their time in Rio de Janeiro
Follow the USA vs Brazil event
Feb. 23, 2015
Follow USA Volleyball and the beach athletes in Rio de Janeiro, Feb. 26-March 1
Top USA beach names to face off against Brazil
Feb. 02, 2015
The top USA and Brazil beach pairs will play in a team challenge in Rio de Janeiro this February
Off the Court: With Summer Ross
Tyson Rodgers Dec. 09, 2014
This week's edition of "Off the Court" features rising beach star Summer Ross.
Halloween Costumes of the Pros
Tyson Rodgers Oct. 30, 2014
Find out what some of the volleyball pros were for Halloween.
U.S. Beach Teams Fall at Sao Paulo
Jessica Hall Sept. 26, 2014
U.S. beach squads end run at the FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam on Friday.
Beach Teams Advance in Sao Paulo
Jessica Hall Sept. 25, 2014
Four women's teams and three men's make it out of pool play in Brazil
Dalhausser, Rosenthal Take Silver in The Hague
BJ Evans July 21, 2014
U.S. team falls to Poland in final
Beach Teams Move on in The Hague
BJ Evans July 17, 2014
Dalhausser/Rosenthal, Hyden/Bourne and Walsh Jennings/Ross go undefeated in pool play
Three Men's Teams Advance in Gstaad
Jessica Hall July 11, 2014
Gibb/Patterson and Lucena/Doherty advance to Round 2 of the main draw in Gstaad.
More Stories ›