Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii
Birth Year: 1987
Height: 6-3 (198cm)
Weight: 194 (88kg)
College: Stanford ('10, political science)
Joined Team: 2010
- Helped the U.S. Men win the 2015 FIVB World Cup and qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games
- Helped the U.S. Men win the 2014 FIVB World League title
- Named 2010 AVCA Men’s DI-II Player of the Year as he led Stanford to the NCAA National Championship
- Co-Most Outstanding Player along with teammate Brad Lawson at the 2010 NCAA tournament, also on the All-Tournament Team
DID YOU KNOW?
- Helped the U.S. Men win bronze at the 2015 FIVB World League
- Has played professionally in Germany and Turkey
- Served as team captain for the 2011 U.S. Pan American Cup team that won the gold medal in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Competed with the 2011 U.S. A2 Team that finished second at the Pan American Cup in Quebec
- Played libero for the 2007 Men’s Junior National Team that finished seventh at the FIVB World Championship
- Was the starting setter for the 2006 Men’s Junior Team that finished second at the NORCECA Continental Championship in Mexico
- Was named Best Setter at the 2004 NORCECA Boys’ Youth Championship as the U.S. won gold in Mexico City
- Two-time AVCA First Team All-American at Stanford
- Lettered four years in volleyball and golf and three years in basketball at Iolani School in Honolulu
- Four-time Junior National Championship all-tournament choice with the Outrigger Canoe Volleyball Club
- Married wife Megan in 2014
- Parents are Dave and Mary Shoji. Father is University of Hawaii women's volleyball coach and has won four national titles in 34 seasons. He also has the most wins in NCAA DI women’s volleyball history. Mother played basketball at Hawaii
- Has a brother, Erik (1989) and a sister Cobey (1979). Erik plays libero for the U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team
- Graduated from Stanford in 2010 with a degree in political science
THE BIG BLURB
“He earned the respect of coaches around the country by leading the Stanford program back to national prominence. He’s been the core guy to get this program turned around. We’ve been able to recruit talented players around him, but he makes the whole thing work.” Stanford Head Coach John Kosty in the SFGate
“I think we’ve always had the dream. But I don’t know if I could have told you 10 or 15 years ago that we’d be playing together on the national team.” Kawika Shoji on playing with his brother Erik
Hey, America, We are Your Players, Too! – The Cauldron
Brothers Berlin – Tumblr.com
Shoji brothers are a big part of No. 1 Stanford’s volleyball family – The Denver Post
Last updated October, 2015
U.S. Men's World Cup Squad Honored as Team of Year
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (email@example.com) Dec. 23, 2015
Lessons learned early in the season and youth movement contribute to success
Top 15 Team USA Men Of 2015
Paul D. Bowker Dec. 22, 2015
From shooting to alpine skiing, Paralympic track to luge, see who shone the brightest in 2015.
Men's Update: Five Things About Murphy Troy
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) Dec. 17, 2015
Find out five things about U.S. opposite Murphy Troy that you might not know
U.S. Men's Update: Five Things about Kawika Shoji
B.J. Evans Nov. 11, 2015
Five things you might not know about Kawika Shoji plus updates on players competing around the world.
Men's Update: Five Top Travel Accessories
B.J. Evans Nov. 04, 2015
What are five important items that U.S. Men's Team players bring with them on the road?
U.S. Olympic Committee Announces Best Of September Honors For Team USA Awards Presented By Dow
United States Olympic Committee Oct. 08, 2015
Jorgensen, Burroughs and the U.S. Men's National Indoor Volleyball Team earn September accolades.
Vote On Team USA's Top Athletes From September
Oct. 01, 2015
See which athletes made Team USA's Best of September nominations and vote on your favorites.
U.S. Men’s Volleyball Team Wins First World Cup Title In 30 Years, Qualifies For Rio
Darci Miller Sept. 23, 2015
Team USA finished with a 10-1 record in Japan; Matt Anderson was named tournament MVP.
U.S. Hopes Alive after Win over Russia
B.J. Evans Sept. 22, 2015
U.S. Men in second place and can still qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games.
Deep U.S. Men’s Volleyball Team Begins World Cup With Olympic Qualification On The Line
Brian Trusdell Sept. 08, 2015
Team USA looks to improve its performance and challenge Poland, Russia for the title.
More Stories ›